Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Our knowledge base is doubling every 15 months.GTS and swoosh need to see the youtube
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Our knowledge base is doubling every 15 months.GTS and swoosh need to see the youtube
Think about that. It's staggering. What we know as a society today 15 months from now we will have double that information. Times are rapidly changing. Some threads recently have questioned what we should be teaching in our schools. A valid question, but how do we decide as a society what needs to be taught considering the above scenario?

Here's an interesting youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILQrUrEWe8
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2010 11:15 PM by Machiavelli.)
02-04-2010 11:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
RE: Our knowledge base is doubling every 15 months.GTS and swoosh need to see the youtube
cool video. nothing i didnt already know. i'm no expert on what we should be teaching children, so i won't comment on it. All i have to say is, it's not like there aren't opportunities for companies to profit off of internet distribution, it's just that they waited too long. Thus, they scrambled at the last minute and a lot of the stuff they've come up with have been half assed. Look at the music industry. There was a huge vacuum created by the internet. instead of trading a hit in the long term for potential future domination, they sat around and took diminishing returns in the short term in exchange for being dominated in the long term. Apple stepped in, filled the vacuum and has now made the major labels its' *****.

If i had to comment on teaching, i would just say this. as a person who's only been out of high school for 4.5 years, i think it's pretty obvious that there needs to be a serious fix in history and english. The best way to get a student to read and write is to let them choose the book and the topic respectively. Forcing students to read outdated "classics" like wuthering heights, doesn't foster any desire for reading. there's value in every written word. The same goes for forcing pre-shaped essay topics down our throats. the professors who give their students the most free reign over paper topics, get the best papers in return.

as for history, it would be nice to actually learn the constitution. In high school, civics wasn't a class. it was a 2 week crash course built into the overall class, which was US history. i've learned a lot more from recreational reading than i ever learned in school. In high school, we were taught that the sole reason for the start of WWII was the assassination of the archduke franz ferdinand.
02-05-2010 12:21 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: Our knowledge base is doubling every 15 months.GTS and swoosh need to see the youtube
Incorrect. CONTENT may continue to double every 15 months, but KNOWLEDGE is not. And -- most damning of all -- the consumption of the RIGHT CONTENT by the public is becoming increasingly difficult in the noise, and that's on top of already low absorption rates.
02-05-2010 12:34 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-05-2010 12:34 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  the consumption of the RIGHT CONTENT by the public is becoming increasingly difficult in the noise

explain
02-05-2010 12:37 AM
Advertisement

(02-05-2010 12:37 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(02-05-2010 12:34 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  the consumption of the RIGHT CONTENT by the public is becoming increasingly difficult in the noise

explain

RAPIDLY Expanding Content:
Twitter feeds. MySpace pages. Facebook feed entries. Obama speeches. YouTube videos of teenagers doing stupid ****, reality TV shows, soap operas, tabloids, "entertainment news", all things Twilight, spam emails, spam pages, virus pages, phishing pages, news stories about the iPad, news of only temporal value (stocks, weather, etc)....

The RIGHT CONTENT (aka knowledge, expanding very very slowly by comparison):
Austrian economics, free market principles, in depth knowledge of who founded the country and why and what were their guiding philosophies, ethics, mathematics, the scientific method, biology, physics, chemistry, skepticism, classic literature, ...

The first group is responsible for that doubling behavior the video describes. The second group, the one of real value, expands far slower, but is the one actually worth knowing. Take all the Google results. Throw out everything in group one. What sort of growth rate do you think you'd have then? Betcha it would be single digit percentages over a 24 month period.
02-05-2010 01:06 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-05-2010 01:06 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

explain

Twitter feeds. MySpace pages. Facebook feed entries. Obama speeches. YouTube videos of teenagers doing stupid ****, reality TV shows, soap operas, tabloids, "entertainment news", all things Twilight, spam emails, spam pages, virus pages, phishing pages, news stories about the iPad, news of only temporal value (stocks, weather, etc)....

Austrian economics, free market principles, in depth knowledge of who founded the country and why and what were their guiding philosophies, ethics, mathematics, the scientific method, biology, physics, chemistry, skepticism, classic literature, ...

The first group is responsible for that doubling behavior the video describes. The second group, the one of real value, expands far slower, but is the one actually worth knowing. Take all the Google results. Throw out everything in group one. What sort of growth rate do you think you'd have then? Betcha it would be single digit percentages over a 24 month period.

i see what you're saying, but do you think that rapidly expanding content is forcing people towards one or the other. i think it's more likely that the people who spend their time only looking at trivial news, were probably going to do that no matter how rapidly the content expands. Yeah, i'm sure it's the internet's fault that more people aren't learning austrian economics.
02-05-2010 01:13 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Ok let's take American history. You have 182 days to cover x amount of data. Every year that passes the contents increase by definition. So if x increases and your days of school stays constant. How do you square that round peg. In science you could teach a whole years worth of Biotechnology from the last ten years in one Bio I class.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2010 12:14 PM by Machiavelli.)
02-05-2010 12:14 PM
Advertisement

(02-05-2010 12:14 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Ok let's take American history. You have 182 days to cover x amount of data. Every year that passes the contents increase by definition. So if x increases and your days of school stays constant. How do you square that round peg. In science you could teach a whole years worth of Biotechnology from the last ten years in one Bio I class.

Wrong. Much of what goes down in history every year is not of historical consequence, or is the sort of nuance only an expert on that particular subject would know.
02-05-2010 12:36 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Much of what goes down in history every year is not of historical consequence...............................

I'm reminded of a saying from my high school History teacher. To the victor belongs the ability to write the history books.
02-05-2010 01:15 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-05-2010 12:14 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Ok let's take American history. You have 182 days to cover x amount of data. Every year that passes the contents increase by definition. So if x increases and your days of school stays constant. How do you square that round peg. In science you could teach a whole years worth of Biotechnology from the last ten years in one Bio I class.

i see that and you're absolutely right, but they can expand US history into other school years. For instance, in either 6th or 7th grade our social studies textbook was "Africa, Asia and the Pacific Rim." IMO, that subject matter should be made into electives. Required history to kids in middle school and early high school should strictly be US history. Junior and Senior year of high school and Junior and Senior year of college should be reserved for the student to elect to learn about the history of the other continents if he or she chooses. Learning about the history of global civilizations is fine, as long as it doesn't get in the way of learning about the basis of our constitution, legal system, economic system and historical events of the past 260 years or so.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2010 01:37 PM by flyingswoosh.)
02-05-2010 01:36 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-05-2010 12:36 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Wrong. Much of what goes down in history every year is not of historical consequence, or is the sort of nuance only an expert on that particular subject would know.

True.

However, I have often thought about what Mach wrote. But here's why it's not such a big deal.

In terms of history:

First. Obama, GWB and even Clinton aren't really "history" yet. So you don't have to cover them to a large extent. Still, it's fair to say that the quantity of history grows each year.

Second, as GTS wrote, there is much that is not of consequence. So you don't know much about Rutherford B Hayes, Tyler, or even Polk. That's ok.

Third. As a teacher you're supposed to have the ability to discern what is important from what is superfluous.

Fourth. Let's face it, this concern is not really sound when professional educators have corrupted the system to spend so much time on "multiculturalism," "diversity," etc.

Now as to science/tech:
It is a concern, and has been for many decades. In my time in college, I spent way too much time doing titrations, instead of using instruments. This is just an example, this has been happening for decades:

Most of us couldn't start a fire from scratch.
We couldn't identify useful ore, let alone mine and smelt it.
We couldn't grow grain, and don't have a clue as to thresh, mill, or whatever it needs.

All of this is to say that there is constant turnover in education topics. The skilled educator will understand the basics, both facts and skills, that need to be taught to help students succeed. The remaining resources can be spent on the interesting, whether that's the most recent advances, or historical curiousities.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2010 02:11 PM by DrTorch.)
02-05-2010 02:10 PM

(02-05-2010 02:10 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Most of us couldn't start a fire from scratch.
We couldn't identify useful ore, let alone mine and smelt it.
We couldn't grow grain, and don't have a clue as to thresh, mill, or whatever it needs.

This is the far more interesting angle for me. If the **** hits the fan in this country, do you know how many people would be completely SOL without a fully functioning society to support them?
02-05-2010 05:19 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-05-2010 01:06 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

explain

Are you surprised that enjoyable things will spread faster? Leisure activities have always had the habit of developing faster than others. New things, such as all of those in the first category spread like wildfire because there is something NEW everyday and it is relatively easy to find ways to improve them.

Everything in your second group has been around and is going to be covered in one way or another. There is already an astonishing amount of information on all of those subjects and it's hard to further analyze and find new uses for them unless you are an expert in the field.
02-06-2010 10:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.