Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Might as well rename Orlando "New Port-au-Prince"
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Might as well rename Orlando "New Port-au-Prince"
It would be much less expensive to rebuild Haitian towns off the fault line using a decent building code than to move them here. But now this gives Disney the opportunity to build a bigger "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride at Disney World.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The American Red Cross says a plan to bring 45,000 evacuees from Haiti to Florida, and 4,000 of those to Orange County, is not set in stone. The Red Cross clarified Friday who could be involved in a plan to move people out of Haiti.

The Red Cross is preparing for two things: the repatriation of Americans living in Haiti and the possibility of a mass migration of Haitian nationals.

The American Red Cross has seen massive migration into the U.S. from areas like Kosovo and Bosnia in the past, but no determination has been made yet in the case of Haiti. But the repatriation of Americans has already begun. Eyewitness News was told that it includes people like missionaries who may have already been working in Haiti before the quake.

The U.S. citizens are being brought into South Florida through Miami and Homestead, where their identities can be verified. Thursday night, five flights arrived with 190 Americans on board.

“I think that we will continue see U.S. citizens coming in over the weekend and through the beginning of next week. And that would be our first focus and first wave and, I think, as the conditions are assessed in Haiti and some decisions are made both with our federal government and the Haitian government about what’s best for their citizens,” Director of Emergency Services Becky Sebren said.

Americans continued to arrive in South Florida Friday afternoon and, as the United States plans its strategy to help Haiti, the state closest to the island nation is taking center stage with a plan to bring tens of thousands of refugees to Florida and approximately 4,000 to Orlando.

Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty says he has some concerns with the possible plan. If Haitians are brought to Central Florida, the county, city and possibly other area communities will have to scramble to figure out where to put the earthquake victims, and it will be a tough challenge.

"It would occur to me that there is a legal process associated with that and it would probably have to come through the State Department in terms of citizenship and visas, work visas [and] that sort of thing," Mayor Crotty said.

What that influx of people brings with it is a very large service demand, particularly in the area of social services in what is already a tough economy.

"We're very stressed financially right now and this is going to add to that stress," Mayor Crotty said. "So this is a balance we're going to have to work on strengthening."

Governor Charlie Crist told Eyewitness News Friday that, while he's talked to the Secretary of Homeland Security about bringing Haitians to Florida, nothing has been decided at this point.

Governor Crist was at a jobs summit in Orlando Friday morning. Crist wouldn't confirm whether Haitian refugees would be coming to Central Florida; he did say that Florida has pledged to do everything it can to help those in need after the earthquake.

"We want to be in touch with the State Department, making sure we're doing what is necessary for these people to get the help they need and deserve," Crist said.

http://www.wftv.com/news/22242754/detail.html
01-19-2010 10:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Might as well rename Orlando "New Port-au-Prince"
Well, there ARE lots of empty homes to house the Haitians in central FLA.
01-19-2010 10:42 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Why aren't we housing/treating them at Guantanamo? Cuba is involved in the aid as well, so they shouldn't/wouldn't complain... It has a complete military hospital and an airfield suitable for large planes. Plus, it is US soil, but not a gateway to the US without our permission.

Besides, apparently we aren't using it for anything else
01-19-2010 10:42 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-19-2010 10:42 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Why aren't we housing/treating them at Guantanamo? Cuba is involved in the aid as well, so they shouldn't/wouldn't complain... It has a complete military hospital and an airfield suitable for large planes. Plus, it is US soil, but not a gateway to the US without our permission.

Why don't we put'em in GP Larges? Hell, I slept in GP mediums and R-Fab frame tents my entire military career. They're easy to put up and they shelter you from all elements. MKT's could provide meals. Portajohns could be used for "those" matters. We have water bladders that can be heated and shower systems that fit inside tents.

Better yet, aren't they a French protectorate? I'm not saying we shouldn't help, but we're becoming the face of it all, and we're going to be the face of every failure down there, even though it's not our responsibility.
01-19-2010 11:16 AM
Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Why can't they just move across the island to the Dominican Republic? It's closer and the people could eventually return more easily and cheaper.
01-19-2010 02:42 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-19-2010 02:42 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Why can't they just move across the island to the Dominican Republic? It's closer and the people could eventually return more easily and cheaper.

DR doesn't want them. The people from Haiti are the problem with the country. DR is somewhat successful with one of the fastest growing economies in Central America. It is what it is.
01-19-2010 04:06 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
I don't want to see Haitans emigrated into America. We have been thru the Cuban onslaught under Carter. Don't want that BS again.
01-19-2010 04:49 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-19-2010 02:42 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Why can't they just move across the island to the Dominican Republic? It's closer and the people could eventually return more easily and cheaper.

Why won't the other Arab states take in the Palestinians?
01-19-2010 06:25 PM
Tbags4Dbags Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Jaguars
We have Haitians everywhere down here. They are coming in by the plane load, and they probably won't be going home. Just what we need more Blacks, and these speak f---ing French. Who speaks French any more? France, Haiti, Quebec, and a couple Arab countries. Talk about a dead language.
01-19-2010 07:14 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(01-19-2010 07:14 PM)Tbags4Dbags Wrote:  We have Haitians everywhere down here. They are coming in by the plane load, and they probably won't be going home. Just what we need more Blacks, and these speak f---ing French. Who speaks French any more? France, Haiti, Quebec, and a couple Arab countries. Talk about a dead language.

See, I told you .... that you are out of your f''ing mind... This post goes the mile to prove it. Tolerance is not your strong suite.
01-19-2010 07:48 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
We've had a lot of cutters going out that way and going back to Miami or wherever else around the gulf. I do have to say that the response was pretty good for an unpredictable earthquake in another country vs. a hurricane with a week's notice on our borders. That is partially because the governor and mayor didn't ask for the help as they needed to.
01-19-2010 11:34 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(01-19-2010 10:42 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Why aren't we housing/treating them at Guantanamo? Cuba is involved in the aid as well, so they shouldn't/wouldn't complain... It has a complete military hospital and an airfield suitable for large planes. Plus, it is US soil, but not a gateway to the US without our permission.

Because we only torture people there and not treat them?
01-20-2010 03:26 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-20-2010 03:26 AM)RobertN Wrote:  

You are a complete f'n loon.
01-20-2010 08:33 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(01-20-2010 08:33 AM)Rebel Wrote:  

You are a complete f'n loon.

He was abused as a child.
01-20-2010 09:55 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

Not what Michael Moore said.
01-20-2010 11:29 AM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
After today's aftershock, its obvious that something has to be done about relocating cities and towns of substandard structures off an active faultline. The video of the houses that are built on the hillsides that crumbled and went down the slope are graphic. I hope nobody was inside.

Over all its cheaper to rebuild a new town 10 or 15 miles away from the fault then to transplant and foster a mass migration of people to a foreign land where they have no jobs, or social support structure (outside the Government welfare system).

People are giving $10 bucks to Haitian Relief via cell phone. Someone better be crunching the numbers as to the cost of relocation vs. mass migration to the US.
01-20-2010 12:04 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
How about "the City Formerly Known as Orlando"? It's almost as catchy as "The Woodlands".
01-21-2010 03:23 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(01-20-2010 12:04 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  After today's aftershock, its obvious that something has to be done about relocating cities and towns of substandard structures off an active faultline. The video of the houses that are built on the hillsides that crumbled and went down the slope are graphic. I hope nobody was inside.

Over all its cheaper to rebuild a new town 10 or 15 miles away from the fault then to transplant and foster a mass migration of people to a foreign land where they have no jobs, or social support structure (outside the Government welfare system).

People are giving $10 bucks to Haitian Relief via cell phone. Someone better be crunching the numbers as to the cost of relocation vs. mass migration to the US.

Is 10 or 15 miles away far enough? Maybe to the middle of the island to protect against earthquake and hurricanes.
01-21-2010 04:27 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(01-21-2010 04:27 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(01-20-2010 12:04 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  After today's aftershock, its obvious that something has to be done about relocating cities and towns of substandard structures off an active faultline. The video of the houses that are built on the hillsides that crumbled and went down the slope are graphic. I hope nobody was inside.

Is 10 or 15 miles away far enough? Maybe to the middle of the island to protect against earthquake and hurricanes.

C'mon. A plan like that will not stick. People will head toward the water regardless. There's fishing, commerce, etc.

It's a difficult trade off to make, but the Hatians need to govern themselves, and be responsible for their own decisions.
01-21-2010 04:43 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

WMD... the faultline aparently hasn't been active for at least 20 years. While I don't generally disagree, relocating a city is pretty tough. Can you imagine trying to relocate Houston??

Besides, like homes built in the flood plain or beneath the levies in New Orleans, I'm convinced that people would buy homes in this area because they would be cheaper than in SAFE areas.

It looks to me like part of the problem in POP is the homes that are the private homes built literally on top of each other and the lack of building codes for the larger buildings. A 7.0 quake really shoulsn't have toppled as many of those large buildings as they did
01-21-2010 06:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.