Number of bowls still increasing
12-24-2009 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Number of bowls still increasing
That article told me nothing I haven't been saying for years now. There are so many bowls they have all become meaningless, except for the BCS games...
12-24-2009 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(12-24-2009 11:39 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  That article told me nothing I haven't been saying for years now. There are so many bowls they have all become meaningless, except for the BCS games...

Well, it's better than those articles trying to spin the mediocre bowls as some kind of great thing everyone can do without.
12-24-2009 11:51 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I'm just glad the media is starting to recognize what all college sports fans have known for some time. Hopefully, before too many more years pass, a playoff will begin...

I figure it's just a matter of time before the university presidents see how much income could be generated by a playoff, especially one setup like the FCS playoffs, with the higher ranked teams getting to play at home in their own stadiums, with all the income generated by the traveling team benefiting the towns where the home colleges are located, and not going to help rich middleman at some exotic location that doesn't need that income as badly.
12-24-2009 12:19 PM
Advertisement

PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(12-24-2009 11:39 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  That article told me nothing I haven't been saying for years now. There are so many bowls they have all become meaningless, except for the BCS games...

Well, right now only the MNC game is meaningful. Unlike playoffs, which EVERY game would be meaningful.
12-24-2009 12:50 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
When schools start to realize that these lower bowls are COSTING them money, then you will start to see a movement to end it.
12-24-2009 01:23 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(12-24-2009 01:23 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  When schools start to realize that these lower bowls are COSTING them money, then you will start to see a movement to end it.

You gotta spend money to make money. A bowl win goes a long way towards exciting your fan base. The tail is longer than the 3 days after the game. Also, schools don't OFTEN lose money. Its a struggle to break even, but that mark is met most of the time. If its not, then the benefit of the game makes up for the losses.

There are many parties involved in bowl games, and as soon as one of them starts consistently losing money, they will cease to exist. But, that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon. Businesses will sponsor them, cities will support them, fans will travel to them, etc.

College football is the commodity and the demand is MUCH greater than the supply.
12-24-2009 03:25 PM
Advertisement

BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
i dont know why you cant just have mediocre bowl games for non playoff teams

an 8 team playoff is fine, 6 AQ conference champs, highest non AQ conference champion, and 1 wildcard... everyone else can set up bowl tie ins for the teams that dont make the playoffs, its not hard,t he system would barely even have to change
12-24-2009 10:43 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

I'd say the Cotton, Capital One, the Outback, the Champs Sports (starting next year), the Holiday Bowl, and currently the Gator Bowl are all good games with at least some meaning. And any bowl game(s) with one's own team(s) playing are of course important.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2009 12:03 AM by brista21.)
12-25-2009 12:01 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

(12-24-2009 10:43 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  i dont know why you cant just have mediocre bowl games for non playoff teams

an 8 team playoff is fine, 6 AQ conference champs, highest non AQ conference champion, and 1 wildcard... everyone else can set up bowl tie ins for the teams that dont make the playoffs, its not hard,t he system would barely even have to change

Videogame site Kotaku simulated this. They used Dan Wetzel's proposed model that probably got some mention on this board.

http://kotaku.com/5430124/the-2010-video...pectacular

The game has been wrong on the 3 real-life matchups so far. But the article's merit isn't lost.
12-25-2009 02:59 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(12-25-2009 12:01 AM)brista21 Wrote:  
I'd say the Cotton, Capital One, the Outback, the Champs Sports (starting next year), the Holiday Bowl, and currently the Gator Bowl are all good games with at least some meaning. And any bowl game(s) with one's own team(s) playing are of course important.
They pay a lot of money. But they have no meaning in the real world...
12-25-2009 09:53 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(12-24-2009 12:19 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'm just glad the media is starting to recognize what all college sports fans have known for some time. Hopefully, before too many more years pass, a playoff will begin...

I figure it's just a matter of time before the university presidents see how much income could be generated by a playoff, especially one setup like the FCS playoffs, with the higher ranked teams getting to play at home in their own stadiums, with all the income generated by the traveling team benefiting the towns where the home colleges are located, and not going to help rich middleman at some exotic location that doesn't need that income as badly.
I hope your wrong. I hope there never is a playoff. You think its bad now. Just wait. You know they will make it regionals. Florida will never leave florida, same for Texas,USCW,and Ohio state. Any time WV is in the Playoffs they will end up in a Texas or Florida regional. Same goes for Arkansas we would end up in Ohio,or Florida regional. People like to beleive that a playoff is fair. Well its not. Wait til the day wk 1 WV goes to Dallas to play Oklahoma. Then wk2 your fanbase has to travel to Florida. And it will still be at neutral sites. Jerry Dome in Dallas anyone.
12-25-2009 10:17 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(12-24-2009 03:25 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  
(12-24-2009 01:23 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  When schools start to realize that these lower bowls are COSTING them money, then you will start to see a movement to end it.
You gotta spend money to make money.
You sound just like one of the bankers who recently had the government pick up the tab for their stupidity, keeping their banks solvent and allowing them to make millions off people, instead of allowing them to go broke like they should have...
12-25-2009 11:43 AM
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

(12-25-2009 11:43 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(12-24-2009 03:25 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  
You gotta spend money to make money.
You sound just like one of the bankers who recently had the government pick up the tab for their stupidity, keeping their banks solvent and allowing them to make millions off people, instead of allowing them to go broke like they should have...

Or I sound like anyone who has ever made money in their life. Did your education cost you money? This money you spent helped you to make money. You have to purchase a location and overhead costs in order to open a business.

There is a long tail to these bowl games and rarely do schools straight up LOSE money on the trip. If they do, they more than make up for it in merchandise, recruiting, next year's season tickets, etc.
12-25-2009 07:19 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(12-24-2009 11:39 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  There are so many bowls they have all become meaningless, except for the BCS games...

That's weird...millions still watch the games...players seemingly have a BLAST during the week on site of their bowl games...plus, in some cases...tens of thousands of fans show up for weekends in certain cities, which in most cases, definitely could USE fans spending $$$$$ in their hotels, restaurants, bars, attractions, etc...

Oh...and the TV Network (usually ESPN/ABC) seems to be able to make a nice profit off these games as well.

while maybe meaningless to YOU...its certainly not meaningless to others.
12-25-2009 07:47 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.