Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rutgers Article - Pick a Program to Return to Glory: Syracuse or Louisville?
UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Rutgers Article - Pick a Program to Return to Glory: Syracuse or Louisville?
I know you Syracuse fans will get a kick out of this 04-cheers

http://www.nj.com/rutgers-fans/index.ssf...to_gl.html

Pick a Program to Return to Glory: Syracuse or Louisville?
By Jerry Sanchez
November 24, 2009, 11:55PM

Right now the two Big East programs on the mind of Rutgers fans are Syracuse and Louisville. For obvious reasons Syracuse will be on your mind for sometime and Louisville is this Friday’s opponent. Both teams are the cellar dwellers of the Big East with 1-5 conference records. Both programs are at crossroads. Syracuse’s win over Rutgers may jump start recruiting for the Orangemen and help to propel them back toward the road to respectability. Louisville, by all accounts, could be set to fire its coach Steve Kragthorpe and bring in a higher profile coach – a name that could propel the Cardinals back to the path towards respectability. The question is as a Rutgers fan, and as a Big East fan who would you prefer, if given a choice, to see head back towards prominence in the Big East?

The pros for either:

Syracuse: Tradition and Brand Name
After a week of sparring with Orangemen fans we are all well aware of the list of players that have donned the Orange and Blue: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Czonka, Marvin Harrison, Donavan McNabb, and Dwight Freeney to name a few. There were the national power years of the 50s and 60s and in the 80s and 90s they were frequent bowl participants and a force in the northeast. Additionally, their basketball team provides the university will tons of national exposure year after year. If they returned to prominence they would garner attention in the New York City media and would be a brand name for television and bowl selection organizers. Furthermore, a competitive Rutgers-Syracuse series has the potential of a great rivalry.

Louisville: Rabid fanbase
As the Cardinals transitioned through the Conference USA and into the Big East, they amassed a strong following in Kentucky - a nice treat for the Big East sitting close to SEC country. They would make one of the best travelling fan bases in the conference and when they were rolling, Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium was a rocking atmosphere. A fan base like Louisville’s is exactly what the conference needs and a strong Louisville would make bowl negotiations a lot easier knowing the Big East could provide more than one or two loyal fan bases. The success that Louisville had in 2004-2006 is not long forgotten either. Those memories are fresh in the minds of college football fans and they too have a basketball team that has brought national exposure to the university throughout the years.

The cons for either:

Syracuse: Bad for recruiting and Bad for Bowl traveling
It is no secret that much of Rutgers success has to do with gaining control of the New Jersey/New York recruiting area and much of that at the expense of Syracuse (can you say Ray Rice). Rutgers is not yet the type of dominant program that could withstand a second immediate competitor for quality players in its area. As such many a Rutgers fan would prefer to see the Orangemen stay down on their luck for some time. Syracuse is also not a relatively large school with a rabid fan base that travels well to bowls. For the Big East another high profile team that does not excite the bowl organizers sales people does not bode well.

Louisville: Lack of pedigree
Despite the recent success attained by the Cardinals, for the most part their bowl history was primarily drummed up during its years in the Conference USA. For many this is a basketball school first and the football team is fighting for attention. It remains to be seen if the name is strong enough to drum interest and support from bowl organizers and pollsters.

My choice of preference is Louisville. Their recent success under Bobby Petrino left an impression on college football fans. If they can get back to the high flying offenses and sold out home games, they will do well as an ambassador of the Big East. A good Syracuse poises too much of a threat to Rutgers. With already numerous professional sports team to compete with for the eyes and ears of fans, Rutgers does not need another competitor. Additionally, after finally reaching the point where the Scarlet Knights recruit well from Top 10 to 30 players in New Jersey, now is not the time to give ground.

Let me know your thoughts and which team you would select to return to Big East prominence and why?
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2009 10:17 AM by UofL07.)
11-25-2009 10:17 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
RE: Rutgers Article - Pick a Program to Return to Glory: Syracuse or Louisville?
Why not both?
11-25-2009 10:23 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Rutgers Article - Pick a Program to Return to Glory: Syracuse or Louisville?
Both will be back, it's only a matter of time.
11-25-2009 10:28 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
A resurgent Syracuse scares the crap out of Rutgers. Schaino has built a house of cards of one ref aided win in 2006.
11-25-2009 10:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
UofL07 Offline
All American

(11-25-2009 10:23 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Why not both?

People always forget that someone has to finish last. If Syracuse and Louisville get back to being great, that means someone is going to be moving down. Personally, I'm okay with that but I doubt other team's fans are 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2009 10:34 AM by UofL07.)
11-25-2009 10:33 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(11-25-2009 10:33 AM)UofL07 Wrote:  
(11-25-2009 10:23 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Why not both?

People always forget that someone has to finish last. If Syracuse and Louisville get back to being great, that means someone is going to be moving down. Personally, I'm okay with that but I doubt other team's fans are 03-lmfao

Absolutely. The margin between the top half of the conference and the bottom half of the conference is going to be very, very small. Survival of the fittest.
11-25-2009 10:53 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Bingo. If they get back to being great, someone else is down. If it means my team is down, then no, i do not want to see either of them return to being good.
11-25-2009 11:14 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
From a bowl tie-in perspective, Louisville doing well is key because they arguably have the best consistent traveling fan base outside of WVU.

For everything else from a national perspective, though, it's critical that Syracuse gets back on its feet. For the general public, Syracuse = Big East. In contrast, the outside feeling is that Louisville = Southern school that happens to play in the Big East. That perception could change as Louisville spends more time in the conference, but for now, the reputations of Syracuse and the Big East are intertwined because the Orange are original members.
11-25-2009 01:26 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Also, since we talk about "media bias" a lot, the two single biggest feeders of on-air talent to ESPN and the other national TV networks happen to be Northwestern and Syracuse. (I'm talking about the anchors and journalists as opposed to the former player/coach color commentators.) Not surprisingly, Syracuse basketball has always gotten tons of props while the Northwestern Rose Bowl run in 1995 was treated as a sports story just short of the Cubs winning the World Series by the national media (in contrast to how there's pretty much zero national buzz when a similarly small school like TCU makes a BCS bowl run). When Syracuse won the BE football title earlier this decade, no one questioned the conference's bona fides (unlike many of the other years when someone other than WVU or the old Miami and VT teams won). That's something to think about when we're talking about media perception - Syracuse is THE media tie-in as far as the Big East is concerned.
11-25-2009 01:35 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(11-25-2009 01:35 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Also, since we talk about "media bias" a lot, the two single biggest feeders of on-air talent to ESPN and the other national TV networks happen to be Northwestern and Syracuse. (I'm talking about the anchors and journalists as opposed to the former player/coach color commentators.) Not surprisingly, Syracuse basketball has always gotten tons of props while the Northwestern Rose Bowl run in 1995 was treated as a sports story just short of the Cubs winning the World Series by the national media (in contrast to how there's pretty much zero national buzz when a similarly small school like TCU makes a BCS bowl run). When Syracuse won the BE football title earlier this decade, no one questioned the conference's bona fides (unlike many of the other years when someone other than WVU or the old Miami and VT teams won). That's something to think about when we're talking about media perception - Syracuse is THE media tie-in as far as the Big East is concerned.

Time change, people change. UCONN being next to ESPN won't hurt either. UCONN is also BE and just needs one or two break out season on the national stage.

Other posters are right, the difference between top and bottom in the BE is slim. It will be a battle in the coming years so everyone better win their OOC games.

I personally would love to see Cuse coming back because Cuse is an original BE member like us. Rutgers have not contributed much to any of the glory of the BE outside a few year here or there in women's basketball. Even that, they are clearly in the shadow of UCONN's women's basketball team. BTW, these girls will win another championship and might go undefeated again.

Cuse, like UCONN, has carried the BE banner in various sports on the national stage over the history of the BE. I would love to see UL coming back too. I think UL got the fanbase and the admin to take UL football to the national stage.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2009 03:13 PM by SF Husky.)
11-25-2009 03:02 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2009 03:24 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(11-25-2009 01:35 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Also, since we talk about "media bias" a lot, the two single biggest feeders of on-air talent to ESPN and the other national TV networks happen to be Northwestern and Syracuse. (I'm talking about the anchors and journalists as opposed to the former player/coach color commentators.)

This is a great point, and one that I'm sure got driven home ad nauseum when we played Northwestern earlier this year (although I never saw the actual TV broadcast). Cornell has had quite a few too though. They have given ESPN the greatness of Keith Olbermann, Bill Pidto, and the late great Dick Schaap. Nobody can compete with 'Cuse though. If there's a guy on TV talking about sports, there's like a 97% chance he went to Syracuse (only a slight exaggeration).

As for the topic of the article... any Rutgers fan that says they'd rather see 'Cuse improve than Louisville, either secretly hates their team or isn't all that bright. A rejuvenated Syracuse would be disastrous for them. I'm only happy they weren't able to capitalize on our down period even more than they did.

I don't worry about CUSE cause Edsall recruits differently than every other BE team. He finds talent in places I don't think many coaches look. Ex. Our starting freshman CB that replaced Howard was a soccer player when he was recruited to UCONN. They have turned him into a BE CB. Donald Thomas was spotted at a pick up basketball game in CT and UCONN turned him into a starting OL for the Miami Dolphins after 4 years training. We are not like RU who goes to big recruiting stars and helicopters but our players are just as effective on the field if not more. I don't know Marrone's recruiting style but I imagine it is not like UCONN's. So, a rising CUSE will only add more to the rivalry in the BE.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2009 03:43 PM by SF Husky.)
11-25-2009 03:29 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2009 03:29 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(11-25-2009 03:02 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Time change, people change. UCONN being next to ESPN won't hurt either. UCONN is also BE and just needs one or two break out season on the national stage.

Which broadcasters went to UConn?

Not too many outside a few in women's basketball LOL. But being next to ESPN can't hurt. You do realize ESPN HQ is not far from Storrs, CT right?
11-25-2009 03:30 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I believe there is a lot of wishful thinking in that article. Syracuse may have lost the game to UofL this year but that team has more talent than the Cards. If it had been played before Syracuse got banged up, the Orange would have won in a walk.
CJ
11-25-2009 03:46 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2009 03:37 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(11-25-2009 03:29 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I don't worry about CUSE cause Edsall recruits differently than every other BE teams. He finds talent in places I don't think many coaches look. Ex. Our starting freshman CB that replaced Howard was a soccer player when he was recruited to UCONN. They have turned him into a BE CB. Donald Thomas was spotted at a pick up basketball game in CT and UCONN turned him into a starting OL for the Miami Dolphins after 4 years training. We are not like RU who goes to big recruiting stars and helicopters but our players are just as effective on the field if not more. I don't know Marrone's recruiting style but I imagine it is not like UCONN's. So, a rising CUSE will only add more to the rivalry in the BE.

Hoping to continually find diamonds in the rough doesn't strike me as being any better a long-term recruiting strategy than setting up a Rivals.com account and going by star ratings. As such, I'm sure Edsall has made his fair share of pitches to big time recruits.

As far as Marrone's style... I feel like Edsall and he are kind of the same guy. They both bleed Syracuse Orange and are George O'Leary disciples.

By looking at the talent on the field, I would say UCONN's recruiting has been fine so far. I do agree there are many similarities between Marrone and Edsall.
11-25-2009 04:19 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Obviously, as an Orange fan, if it's a choice simply between the Orange and the Cards, I'm picking Syracuse, just as I'm sure Louisville fans would be the opposite. 03-wink

From a Rutgers fan's standpoint, they would be foolish not to prefer a return to glory by Louisville over Syracuse.

From a Big East fan's perspective, it's a difficult call. The league has two former NC winners with lots of tradition (Pitt and SU) and two programs that are noted for traveling fans (WVU and UL), the former of which is just an NC away from giving the league the best of both worlds.

So from a league perspective you want at least three of these programs doing well each and every year. But Rutgers, UConn, USF, and Cincinnati can't be doormats either, the way Temple, Rutgers, and Pitt were doormats during the 90s.

The league's aim should be, imho, to be like the Pac-10 of the 90s where all of the programs seemed to rotate in and out of last place, but where 8 of the 10 won (or shared) the conference championship during that decade. Of course what the league would want in addition is to also have at least one team in the NC hunt by mid-November. We've seen how not having such a team most years is impacting the perception of the ACC.

It's a difficult tightrope to walk. But the Big East appears to be doing something right at the moment. In what was suppose to be a down year, the conference is considered the 3rd best by most of the computer rankings.

Cheers,
Neil
11-25-2009 04:51 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

Like it or not the Cuse is coming back. I doubt if we would look for talent in Ny/NJ. If we are a national program we'd try to recruit outside of the north east which is weak for FB talent.

With the BE autobid secure no reason all our teams can't improve. We just need to play good football top-to-bottom. A high profile Cuse benefits the entire BE. Give it too more years once that Duke QB is gone.

Coaches are going to leave- good programs are going to have bad years so we really need every team to do its best. I don't think SYR hurts Rutgers recruiting as much as the article suggests. Syracuse was in decent shape prior to G. Robinson and the raid on the BE. Louisville was a BE contender prior to Kragthrope. You cant blame it on recruiting alone.

FSU severely out recruited USF this year.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2009 10:35 AM by frogman.)
11-26-2009 10:24 AM
Advertisement

Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(11-25-2009 10:33 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  A resurgent Syracuse scares the crap out of Rutgers. Schaino has built a house of cards of one ref aided win in 2006.

there is enough recruits in that crowded neck for both to be succesfull, this also hurts uconn...........its about developing talent......
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2009 12:12 AM by Stookey57.)
11-27-2009 12:10 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(11-25-2009 10:33 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  A resurgent Syracuse scares the crap out of Rutgers. Schaino has built a house of cards of one ref aided win in 2006.

Really we had help from the refs that night? Please prove that one to me. I've watched that game so many times at this point I fail to see it. As for house of cards you couldn't be more wrong. There's a damn solid foundation he's built no doubt about that one. The question is he the one to build on top of the foundation. Lately, I think no that he's not, but I appreciate what he's done and wish him well. Its funny you guys get one win against us and you think you can thumb your nose at us again just like you used to. Times have changed we may be spinning our wheels but we're not a bad program anymore, not a coaching graveyard.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2009 12:20 AM by brista21.)
11-27-2009 12:16 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2009 12:10 AM)Stookey57 Wrote:  

there is enough recruits in that crowded neck for both to be succesfull, this also hurts uconn...........its about developing talent......

We will end SU's talk of resurgence in a couple of days.
11-27-2009 12:37 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

(11-27-2009 12:16 AM)brista21 Wrote:  

Really we had help from the refs that night? Please prove that one to me. I've watched that game so many times at this point I fail to see it. As for house of cards you couldn't be more wrong. There's a damn solid foundation he's built no doubt about that one. The question is he the one to build on top of the foundation. Lately, I think no that he's not, but I appreciate what he's done and wish him well. Its funny you guys get one win against us and you think you can thumb your nose at us again just like you used to. Times have changed we may be spinning our wheels but we're not a bad program anymore, not a coaching graveyard.

Brista you are a good poster...as a Cuse fan I just don't like Schiano. WTF was Schiano's tirade over the fake FG kicker injury? It backfired on him. I bet Te will be kicking on Friday. Te kept his leg up for the contact.

As for the win...yes we won't have to hear bandwagoners rip us like they have for the last 4 years.
11-27-2009 12:39 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.