Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

gas prices
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
gas prices
In our area gas prices shot up by $.25-.30 in the matter of 2-3 weeks.

That's over 10% in a very short time.

Yet, I haven't seen much about this anywhere, not even the MSM.

Guess it's not that interesting if you can't blame Bush.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2009 08:49 AM by DrTorch.)
10-27-2009 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: gas prices
(10-27-2009 08:49 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  In our area gas prices shot up by $.25-.30 in the matter of 2-3 weeks.

Hypocrisy, it is the left.
10-27-2009 08:56 AM
Quote this message in a reply
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Nothing wrong with the refinerys in Texas and the pipelines are all up.

I say its the devalued dollar mostly to blame.
10-27-2009 09:12 AM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!
(10-27-2009 08:49 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  In our area gas prices shot up by $.25-.30 in the matter of 2-3 weeks.

*shrug*

We've heard plenty about here in Philly.
10-27-2009 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
not just this, now all the economic reporting in general is reported from an optimistic angle.
10-27-2009 09:25 AM
DrTorch Offline

(10-27-2009 09:23 AM)BGSUalum1987 Wrote:  

*shrug*

Interesting. But little-to-nothing on the national front.

Is this an E Coast (NJ megapolitan area) thing?
10-27-2009 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Some of this gas price increase is due the rising price for a barrel of oil.

And some of the gas price increase is due to refineries having to change to winter blend fuels. This changeover reduces capacity as refineries go on and off-line.

A very real way to stabilize gasoline prices would be to have all 50 states use the same fuel blend year round. None of this California this, Midwest blend that, Northeast fuel oil needs this.....

Do not mistake that vehicles need different blends of fuel to operate. These are state and federal mandates on fuel blends, mostly put in place to placate environmental concerns and maintain agricultural subsidies.
10-27-2009 10:13 AM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

(10-27-2009 09:39 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

*shrug*

Could be. I've been here (East Coast) for 20 years, so I've lost my Midwest perspective. 03-idea

It does seem to me that we've gotten a steady stream of "gas prices up, gas prices down" information from local media for the last 10 years or so.

There's such a wide fluctuation in prices here - it's almost inevitably a lot cheaper in N.J., and the state law is you CAN'T pump your own. We also have a small town near us that has the same law and sometimes it's cheaper than the pump-your-own options nearby.
10-27-2009 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-27-2009 10:13 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  And some of the gas price increase is due to refineries having to change to winter blend fuels. This changeover reduces capacity as refineries go on and off-line.

same thing happens in May when they switch to Summer blends, plus increased demand with summer travel.

They made it worse though, environmentalist and Corn Lobbyiest successfully got the additivte MTBE(?) banned and replaced with Ethanol.
10-27-2009 10:25 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-27-2009 10:23 AM)BGSUalum1987 Wrote:  There's such a wide fluctuation in prices here - it's almost inevitably a lot cheaper in N.J., and the state law is you CAN'T pump your own. We also have a small town near us that has the same law and sometimes it's cheaper than the pump-your-own options nearby.

Think Christie will win? If not your state is beyond hopeless.
10-27-2009 10:26 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(10-27-2009 09:12 AM)WMD Owl Wrote:  Nothing wrong with the refinerys in Texas and the pipelines are all up.

03-yes
10-27-2009 10:27 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(10-27-2009 10:23 AM)BGSUalum1987 Wrote:  
(10-27-2009 09:39 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

*shrug*

Could be. I've been here (East Coast) for 20 years, so I've lost my Midwest perspective. 03-idea

It does seem to me that we've gotten a steady stream of "gas prices up, gas prices down" information from local media for the last 10 years or so.

I don't follow local media much, but I certainly know that a .$30 climb in a few weeks would have been headline news in any of the past 4 years.

Quote:There's such a wide fluctuation in prices here - it's almost inevitably a lot cheaper in N.J., and the state law is you CAN'T pump your own. We also have a small town near us that has the same law and sometimes it's cheaper than the pump-your-own options nearby.

My reference to NJ is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. A few years ago I read an article pointing out that part of NJ gets claimed as the NY metropolitan area, and other parts belonging to the Philadelphia metropolitan area. The author mused that maybe it's NYC and Philly that are part of the "NJ megapolitan" area.

I am familiar w/ NJ's odd law about pumping gas. (I think Oregon is similar).
10-27-2009 10:35 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Have gas prices gone down vs. the Euro in Europe?
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2009 10:57 AM by GGniner.)
10-27-2009 10:36 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(10-27-2009 09:12 AM)WMD Owl Wrote:  Nothing wrong with the refinerys in Texas and the pipelines are all up.

Yep. The weaker the dollar the more non-US investment that goes into commodities. Those same investors short the dollar so they make money on both ends.

The rules about investing in oil need to be changed.
10-27-2009 10:57 AM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

(10-27-2009 10:26 AM)GGniner Wrote:  Think Christie will win? If not your state is beyond hopeless.

GGniner: I don't live in N.J., just across the river in Pa.

Anyway, I don't think it really matter who wins in N.J. The state is so hopelessly corrupt that I'm not sure it can be set right over the course of two gubernatorial terms. As a spectator of political sport, I've always been fascinated at just how blatant some of this corruption is and how, to a certain degree, Garden Staters appear to accept it.

There's plenty of political corruption in Pa., especially here in the Philly area, but it's rooted so deeply in N.J. that it's just part and parcel of the political fabric. Crazy.

This election will be fun to watch. The independent, Daggett, has made a showing in some polls. Not enough to capture the election, but certainly enough to be a significant factor.
10-27-2009 11:22 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-27-2009 11:22 AM)BGSUalum1987 Wrote:  
(10-27-2009 10:26 AM)GGniner Wrote:  Think Christie will win? If not your state is beyond hopeless.

GGniner: I don't live in N.J., just across the river in Pa.

Anyway, I don't think it really matter who wins in N.J. The state is so hopelessly corrupt that I'm not sure it can be set right over the course of two gubernatorial terms. As a spectator of political sport, I've always been fascinated at just how blatant some of this corruption is and how, to a certain degree, Garden Staters appear to accept it.

There's plenty of political corruption in Pa., especially here in the Philly area, but it's rooted so deeply in N.J. that it's just part and parcel of the political fabric. Crazy.

This election will be fun to watch. The independent, Daggett, has made a showing in some polls. Not enough to capture the election, but certainly enough to be a significant factor.

The Sopranos is a good metaphor to explain NJ Politics.

In fact I think it showed its face this past summer when the young mayor of Hoboken, apparently the Democrat Heir Apparent of the State that had both Dem. US Senators and Corzine at his inaguaration, got busted a month later along with the Mob

amazing how quite that story has been.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2009 11:30 AM by GGniner.)
10-27-2009 11:26 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

Well, you can if you realize that it is the lack of regulation that allows this speculation BS to happen. Of course, it is also Obama's fault(yes, I said it) for not fixing the problem that ran up gas prices the last time.
10-27-2009 11:27 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(10-27-2009 08:56 AM)Rebel Wrote:  

Hypocrisy, it is the left.
Stupidity is the right.
10-27-2009 11:28 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-27-2009 11:27 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
Well, you can if you realize that it is the lack of regulation that allows this speculation BS to happen. Of course, it is also Obama's fault(yes, I said it) for not fixing the problem that ran up gas prices the last time.

Robert,

Why don't you explain to us exactly what kind of regulation you have in mind, how it would work, and why it would make things better?

You have no clue what you are talking about here, and I'm guessing any attempt to explain would expose your ignorance, so I'm not expecting a reply.
10-27-2009 11:35 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(10-27-2009 10:13 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Some of this gas price increase is due the rising price for a barrel of oil.

And some of the gas price increase is due to refineries having to change to winter blend fuels. This changeover reduces capacity as refineries go on and off-line.

A very real way to stabilize gasoline prices would be to have all 50 states use the same fuel blend year round. None of this California this, Midwest blend that, Northeast fuel oil needs this.....

Do not mistake that vehicles need different blends of fuel to operate. These are state and federal mandates on fuel blends, mostly put in place to placate environmental concerns and maintain agricultural subsidies.
Oil prices have gone up by speculation(another bubble). "Environmental concerns". Yeah, why have those. THe more smog the better, 03-banghead
10-27-2009 11:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.