Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rush not part of the Ownership group
Bookmark and Share
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Rush not part of the Ownership group
Rush was removed as a member of the Ownership group trying to buy the Rams. I guess he won't win this round. It will be interesting to see what happens with the lawsuits he says he is going to file for quotes he says he has never said.

All it does is make Rush Limbaugh more money.

Where do I get a job like that.
10-15-2009 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
RE: Rush not part of the Ownership group
Fat and Mad Druggie can't buy a football team :grumpy:
10-15-2009 08:50 AM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Filing lawsuits is profitable for him too, even if he loses. He really has two bases of listeners, those conservatives that are intelligent who just like a voice to hear from that side, and then the vocal nutjobs. He can just use this negative attention or a loss in court and blame it on "liberal bais" even though he and his educated listeners know that has nothing to do with it, because he knows there's a segment of his fan base that eats that stuff up.
10-15-2009 10:24 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
It is really noone's business how Rush Limbaugh spends his money, or to whom the Rams want to sell their franchise, but in this new era of hope and change, all purchases must be submitted for public approval.

Amazing! I liked this country more when it was free.
10-15-2009 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-15-2009 08:50 AM)onlinepole Wrote:  Fat and Mad Druggie can't buy a football team :grumpy:

Druggie works if you are Fergie and a minority owner of the Dolphins... Guess her politics are more acceptable.
10-15-2009 12:13 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

This era of hope and change, come on HuskieJon. You know this has nothing to do with BO or the current political climate. I guess though, this proves what my first post suggests, that this is exactly the type of thing Rush can use to cater to his less educated fans.

The guy got fired from ESPN for a reason. You can't say those things about McNabb and expect to be welcomed back by the league.

Let's be fair, it's a safe bet the majority of owners probably are on Limbaugh's side of the aisle when it comes to politics in general, so it's not like that's the issue. The comments he made that led to him losing his job with ESPN happened years ago, so it had nothing to do with this "new era" as you call it anyways.

There's no reason to get worked up about it, the guy is very smart, he knew going in he wouldn't be allowed to buy a team. He did it for some free publicity. More power to him. He wouldn't have got this team two or four years ago either. This has nothing to do with the current political climate. It has to do with the man being a very controversial figure for a league that does't want controversy. That's why he was let go by ESPN in the first place. The guy left ESPN under a firestorm in 2003, not 2009, this was the middle of the last era. He wasn't welcome then, and he isn't welcome now.

This is a league that is supported by the public, so it does matter to the members of the NFL who buys their teams, and it is an issue where the public can have their voice be heard. If the public doesn't want him, the NFL isn't going to want him either. They aren't in a position where they are desperate for cash, that they need a guy like this involved.

(Yes, I realize he resigned from ESPN, and was not fired, but he would have been. And yes I realize ESPN is not the NFL, but they have an 8 billion dollar TV deal, so if he isn't welcome on ESPN, he isn't welcome in the NFL).

Edit: Bork.. his drug use has nothing to do with this either. If that was his only issue, he'd be welcomed in with open arms. That's a personal problem and is in the past anyways. Fergie isn't going around making derogatory comments about NFL Players on ESPN and creating a political controversy on a regular basis on her radio show. She's also never been fired by ESPN or any other channel that shows NFL games. Quite a difference.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2009 12:27 PM by HuskieFan84.)
10-15-2009 12:24 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(10-15-2009 12:13 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(10-15-2009 08:50 AM)onlinepole Wrote:  Fat and Mad Druggie can't buy a football team :grumpy:

Druggie works if you are Fergie and a minority owner of the Dolphins... Guess her politics are more acceptable.
Did she ever get caught making racist statements? Did players ever tell the league they wouldn't work for her? Did the other owners ever say "no" to the others? Most importantly, does it effect the value/profitability of the NFL and the franchise?
10-15-2009 12:38 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2009 12:24 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  This era of hope and change, come on HuskieJon. You know this has nothing to do with BO or the current political climate. I guess though, this proves what my first post suggests, that this is exactly the type of thing Rush can use to cater to his less educated fans.

The guy got fired from ESPN for a reason. You can't say those things about McNabb and expect to be welcomed back by the league.

Let's be fair, it's a safe bet the majority of owners probably are on Limbaugh's side of the aisle when it comes to politics in general, so it's not like that's the issue. The comments he made that led to him losing his job with ESPN happened years ago, so it had nothing to do with this "new era" as you call it anyways.

There's no reason to get worked up about it, the guy is very smart, he knew going in he wouldn't be allowed to buy a team. He did it for some free publicity. More power to him. He wouldn't have got this team two or four years ago either. This has nothing to do with the current political climate. It has to do with the man being a very controversial figure for a league that does't want controversy. That's why he was let go by ESPN in the first place. The guy left ESPN under a firestorm in 2003, not 2009, this was the middle of the last era. He wasn't welcome then, and he isn't welcome now.

This is a league that is supported by the public, so it does matter to the members of the NFL who buys their teams, and it is an issue where the public can have their voice be heard. If the public doesn't want him, the NFL isn't going to want him either. They aren't in a position where they are desperate for cash, that they need a guy like this involved.

(Yes, I realize he resigned from ESPN, and was not fired, but he would have been. And yes I realize ESPN is not the NFL, but they have an 8 billion dollar TV deal, so if he isn't welcome on ESPN, he isn't welcome in the NFL).

Edit: Bork.. his drug use has nothing to do with this either. If that was his only issue, he'd be welcomed in with open arms. That's a personal problem and is in the past anyways. Fergie isn't going around making derogatory comments about NFL Players on ESPN and creating a political controversy on a regular basis on her radio show. She's also never been fired by ESPN or any other channel that shows NFL games. Quite a difference.

This has everything to do with the current political climate. Sheila Jackson Lee was on the floor of congress commenting on this deal which should be none of her business.

The quotes that the yellow journalists have attributed to Rush, he either did not actually say, or they are just harmless opinions taken out of context. What this boils down to is some people just rage with hatred every time they think of Rush Limbaugh, so they paint him as a racist, even though they have no proof. Now they delight in seeing him getting lynched by the media. It is disgusting.

Well what come around goes around, and just wait till a successful liberal radio talk show host tries to make a major purchase, and see what happens.

Of course you will have to wait a long time, because in order to have a successful talk show, you need to have an audience.
10-15-2009 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

Wow. I don't even know what to say when I read insanity like this.

He was let go from ESPN in 2003 for what he said on television. 2003.
6 years ago he was no longer allowed to be associated with the NFL and ESPN. This is not new. He wasn't wanted by the league then, he isn't wanted now.

You just relish any opportunity to complain about this administration, even when it has nothing to with a situation. It's pathetic.

Do us all a favor, and go back in your bomb shelter if you're just going to let other people do your thinking for you.
10-15-2009 01:27 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
Huskie_Jon.... when it comes to owning an NFL team, Rush Limbaugh is bad for business. This is why he got dropped. His PR works wonders for his radio show, but clearly it would backfire on him if he tried to be part of an ownership group.
10-15-2009 01:42 PM
EddieMoney Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU,Blues,Bucs
Glad to see Checketts & Co cut ties with him, I want to see them win the bid so bad if the team does go up for sale. They oush the rams in the right direction.
10-15-2009 01:52 PM
Advertisement

niucob86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Truthfully, I'm not a big Rush guy. So...
I don't know if Rush is a racist.
I don't know if Rush is a bigot.
Let us, for the sake of argument, agree that he is in fact both.

Why would Dr. Walter E. Williams, an African American, guest host the show Labor Day weekend 2009?
Why would Dr. Thomas Sowell, an African American, agree to be a guest on a "racist" show Friday September 4th?
10-15-2009 02:03 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't cry for Rush. He is a multi-millionaire and does not have to work another day in his life. There will be some other rich person to buy the team. I just find it scary that quotes can be made up, with no substantiation, and be taken as true. This will be the interesting part of this story. Who will win out in court(besides the attorneys making $500+ and hour.)
10-15-2009 02:05 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

"The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There I said it." - Limbaugh, 2007

That isn't made up. The quote about McNabb on ESPN wasn't made up in 2003, you can go anywhere to get a transcript or find a video clip of him saying these things. He got let go for a reason. He said something stupid, and he paid for it. The league doesn't want him around him now in this political climate, and didn't want him around when conservatives were in power either.
10-15-2009 02:49 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-15-2009 12:24 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Edit: Bork.. his drug use has nothing to do with this either. If that was his only issue, he'd be welcomed in with open arms. That's a personal problem and is in the past anyways. Fergie isn't going around making derogatory comments about NFL Players on ESPN and creating a political controversy on a regular basis on her radio show. She's also never been fired by ESPN or any other channel that shows NFL games. Quite a difference.

HF:

My comment was in response to OnlinePole's typical ridiculous name calling. "Fat Mad Druggie." I do not think that Rush's drug problem had anything to with this.
10-15-2009 02:52 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2009 02:49 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  "The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There I said it." - Limbaugh, 2007

That isn't made up. The quote about McNabb on ESPN wasn't made up in 2003, you can go anywhere to get a transcript or find a video clip of him saying these things. He got let go for a reason. He said something stupid, and he paid for it. The league doesn't want him around him now in this political climate, and didn't want him around when conservatives were in power either.

But does either make him racist? I am not saying that what he said isn't stupid, but it does not make him racist.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2009 03:11 PM by klake87.)
10-15-2009 03:08 PM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2009 01:42 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  Huskie_Jon.... when it comes to owning an NFL team, Rush Limbaugh is bad for business. This is why he got dropped. His PR works wonders for his radio show, but clearly it would backfire on him if he tried to be part of an ownership group.

Wrong! Going 0-5 is bad for business. As for the political leanings of owner, the actual fans could care less. The Rams were just shaken down by poverty pimps like Jesse Jackson and Sharpton.

My favorite team, the Dolphins, is now owned by a conglomeration of celebrities like Gloria Estefan and J-lo. I am not a big fan of their music, and they are probably raging liberals. Do I care? No, I just support the team.

Picture yourself about to make a major purchase in your life: your first house, new car, boat, RV, etc. Suddenly some politically connected lying sacks of sh!t, like the previously mentioned poverty pimps, declare that you are a racist because of something someone on the internet said that you said, and because you have let your opinions be known. Now you are shut out from the deal. I do not imagine you would be too happy about that.

So while you are engaging in all your shadenfreude about Rush getting shut out, remember that they could do it to Rush Limbaugh, they could easily do it to you too[/b].
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2009 03:13 PM by Huskie_Jon.)
10-15-2009 03:10 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-15-2009 02:49 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  "The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There I said it." - Limbaugh, 2007

A couple of things...

I'm not a huge Rush fan. I listen at times, but even though I'm of the same very general political bent, I can't say I really agree with him a lot of the times.

If Rush had said the NFL game looks like a game between two street gangs, would that have been racist? I don't mean to beat that issue into the ground, but I find his comment innane, but not racist.

His McNab comment was innane, and when he made it, he broke the cardinal rule of forgetting who was his audience. It was a political statement. He did not say anything bad about McNab. He commented on the media, saying that the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed, even if his talent was lacking. If you remember, there had been a long standing, simmering argument about why there were so few black quarterbacks in the NFL. Rush didn't say McNab was overrated because he is black, he said he's an overrated quarterback that the media focused on because he's black. Again, that is debatable by reasonable people, but it was not a racist statement.

This is not an issue that has to do with politics, per se. Barry Obama is clear of this one. It is a pathetic expression of how bad the media is in our country. Read Bryan Burwell's columns in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about this, for example. He cited the slavery comment. Then he comes back the next dayand says, even if it isn't true, Rush still sucks. He didn't apologize for not checking his sources, for doing a poor journalistic job. He just moves on and continues hacking. I have not yet seen an honest retraction of anyone who cited the slavery comment.

George Soros is rumored to be part of the proposed ownership team as well. He has said at least as many inflammatory things as Rush, his politics are much out of the mainstream of our country, and he had a hand in the currency meltdown of years ago. Is he going to be disqualified by the press as well? Or, since they, generally like MoveOn.org and George's politics, will he get a pass if he is in fact part of the team?

We can debate Rush's Blood-Crips comments. If those make him a racist and worthy of being completely destroyed in the press, how is it fair, adult, consistent, or honest for the media to give air time to Jesse "Hymetown" Jackson or Al "White Interlopers - Tawana Brawley" Sharpton?

Rush, take him or leave him. Let's try to have a media that treats everyone the same though.
10-15-2009 03:10 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

Oh my God! He must be a racist!

Rush was simply referring to the taunting, cheap shots, and fights that are seen in some NFL games, as well as some of the off-field trouble that some of the players are getting into. I have heard worse from the President's former pastor.

Would it be better if Rush said "Latin Kings and MS 13", or how about "The Jets and the Sharks"? "The Warriors and the Baseball Furies"?

As for his last comment on ESPN, he was criticising the media more that Donovan McNabb, but his cohosts were too slow to figure it out.

Rush spends lots of time on his show discussing his love for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the whole game of football. He essentially gives the NFL free advertising, so the NFL should want him around.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2009 03:43 PM by Huskie_Jon.)
10-15-2009 03:40 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
(10-15-2009 03:10 PM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  
(10-15-2009 01:42 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  Huskie_Jon.... when it comes to owning an NFL team, Rush Limbaugh is bad for business. This is why he got dropped. His PR works wonders for his radio show, but clearly it would backfire on him if he tried to be part of an ownership group.

Wrong! Going 0-5 is bad for business. As for the political leanings of owner, the actual fans could care less. The Rams were just shaken down by poverty pimps like Jesse Jackson and Sharpton.

My favorite team, the Dolphins, is now owned by a conglomeration of celebrities like Gloria Estefan and J-lo. I am not a big fan of their music, and they are probably raging liberals. Do I care? No, I just support the team.

Picture yourself about to make a major purchase in your life: your first house, new car, boat, RV, etc. Suddenly some politically connected lying sacks of sh!t, like the previously mentioned poverty pimps, declare that you are a racist because of something someone on the internet said that you said, and because you have let your opinions be known. Now you are shut out from the deal. I do not imagine you would be too happy about that.

So while you are engaging in all your shadenfreude about Rush getting shut out, remember that they could do it to Rush Limbaugh, they could easily do it to you too[/b].

what about players? if the best players (just for discussion at this point) won't sign w/ the rams because Rush is a part-owner, would that be bad for business from a fan's standpoint? Just conversation
10-15-2009 04:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.