Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thank goodness we have gov't to protect us from terrorists like this
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Thank goodness we have gov't to protect us from terrorists like this
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/educat...terstitial

Quote:NEWARK, Del. — Finding character witnesses when you are 6 years old is not easy. But there was Zachary Christie last week at a school disciplinary committee hearing with his karate instructor and his mother’s fiancé by his side to vouch for him.

Zachary’s offense? Taking a camping utensil that can serve as a knife, fork and spoon to school. He was so excited about recently joining the Cub Scouts that he wanted to use it at lunch. School officials concluded that he had violated their zero-tolerance policy on weapons, and Zachary was suspended and now faces 45 days in the district’s reform school.

Who do you think is more dangerous? That lady who babysits at the bus stop, or this kid?
10-12-2009 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
RE: Thank goodness we have gov't to protect us from terrorists like this
Reminds me of the Kindergartner that kissed a girl at school and was charged with sexual harassment and expelled. Dear lord our society is stupid!
10-12-2009 02:57 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I did seriously used to be all for zero-tolerance. A gun is a gun is a knife is a knife.

But as in life, nothing is so cut and dry. Tolerance policies should be at the discretion of the principle.
10-12-2009 03:04 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
He knew what he was doing. 05-stirthepot
10-12-2009 03:05 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
The ability to apply "common sense" to ordinary day-to-day activities is a lost art as the liberals try to codify all human interaction.
10-12-2009 03:17 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-12-2009 03:04 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Tolerance policies should be at the discretion of the principle.

The problem is, they're not. They're given ironclad rules with no allowance for latitude or application of common sense.

The attitude is, "Yeah, I know it's dumb, but any liability will be on me if I let it slide, so I don't have a choice."

The "nuke the jaywalker" approach is borne of CYA.

Blame the lawyers.
10-12-2009 03:22 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
In Texas if your child is a discipline problem, gets in trouble in school for an aspirin i.e. drugs, is caught fighting, skipping school. You end up in court with your child, in front of a Judge who fines you for anything your child does in public. It's a money maker for the courts and only teaches the child that there are ways to shift the responsibility to others.
10-12-2009 03:36 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Zero tolerance = Tolerant Liberals 01-wingedeagle Amazing the liberals "claim" they are for a free society but put stupid laws like this in place.
10-12-2009 03:41 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(10-12-2009 03:41 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Zero tolerance = Tolerant Liberals 01-wingedeagle Amazing the liberals "claim" they are for a free society but put stupid laws like this in place.

Yep, weapons at school is real smart. 01-wingedeagle
10-12-2009 03:43 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-12-2009 03:43 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 03:41 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Zero tolerance = Tolerant Liberals 01-wingedeagle Amazing the liberals "claim" they are for a free society but put stupid laws like this in place.

It's not a stupid rule.

It's the knee-jerk enforcement of the rule that is stupid.
10-12-2009 03:46 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2009 03:46 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

It's not a stupid rule.

It's the knee-jerk enforcement of the rule that is stupid.

Several years ago my 11 year old niece was suspended for bringing a nail file to school at a Colorado public school. This type of enforcement proves that liberals can not be trusted with administration of zero tolerance rules and they are stupid. Zero tolerance means no exceptions, but in my niece's case and the case in the original post shows that exceptions should be granted therefore there can not be Zero tolerance.
10-12-2009 03:55 PM
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

So what? This kid is going to spoon someone? You can make a pencil a weapon, does that mean pencils should be banned from school? There are already forks and knives in school just like the ones on the Boy Scout Knife, does that mean the school is guilty of violating the zero tolerance policy? Most school cafeteria's have knives for students to use, sure sounds like a violation of the policy to me.
10-12-2009 03:58 PM
sparkomemphis Offline
member of UofM Atl alumni club.

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

NCAAbbs LUGSkunkworksDonatorsDonators
A couple of years ago, some high school students took a knife away from their teachers husband ( or ex-husband , I don't remember) that he was using
to try and hurt their teacher. I fully expected one of the students to get
expelled due to being in ossession of a knife. luckily that did not happen.
10-12-2009 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Out here 4 or 5 years ago a 6 year old was expelled for taking a nail clipper to school. As we speak, my son is suspended pending an expulsion hearing on Wednesday for drawing a pictures of guns and soldiers - I'm not kidding. Our advocate says the principal has no case because my kid is in an IEP and has a recognized disability...but the principal hates me because I told her to F-off 3 times and told her she works for me. Anyway, my wife is so stressed over this ordeal she hasn't eaten for days and cries constantly. God, I hate this f**king state.
10-12-2009 09:32 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(10-12-2009 09:32 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Out here 4 or 5 years ago a 6 year old was expelled for taking a nail clipper to school. As we speak, my son is suspended pending an expulsion hearing on Wednesday for drawing a pictures of guns and soldiers - I'm not kidding. Our advocate says the principal has no case because my kid is in an IEP and has a recognized disability...but the principal hates me because I told her to F-off 3 times and told her she works for me. Anyway, my wife is so stressed over this ordeal she hasn't eaten for days and cries constantly. God, I hate this f**king state.

Sorry to hear that the failed liberal school system that eats up 50% of the state's budget is responsible for the stress that you, your wife and child is going through. Remind me again, how is a nail clipper a threat to anyone? more than a knife or fork in the cafeteria.
10-12-2009 09:55 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(10-12-2009 09:55 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 09:32 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Out here 4 or 5 years ago a 6 year old was expelled for taking a nail clipper to school. As we speak, my son is suspended pending an expulsion hearing on Wednesday for drawing a pictures of guns and soldiers - I'm not kidding. Our advocate says the principal has no case because my kid is in an IEP and has a recognized disability...but the principal hates me because I told her to F-off 3 times and told her she works for me. Anyway, my wife is so stressed over this ordeal she hasn't eaten for days and cries constantly. God, I hate this f**king state.

Sorry to hear that the failed liberal school system that eats up 50% of the state's budget is responsible for the stress that you, your wife and child is going through. Remind me again, how is a nail clipper a threat to anyone? more than a knife or fork in the cafeteria.

I believe the nail clipper had one of those little tiny files on it. There was a lot of debate over it and eventually it was decided zero tolerance means "zero tolerance."

Googled "nail clipper expulsion" and got a lot of hits. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=na...+expulsion
10-12-2009 10:01 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline

Here is one from Riverside, thats close to San Bernardino where you are, where they ruled nail clippers is not a knife.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=13...80,5390960

f'ing liberals

Since when do liberals see everything as black and white. They want gray in everything?
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2009 10:10 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
10-12-2009 10:08 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Riverside is the next town over from me.

I want to say the expulsion I was referring to took place in Moreno Valley, that's where I used to live but i can't find anything on it.

Oh, I'm not from San Bernardino, that's a sh*t hole. I'm in Corona, Riverside County. But it's still too close to San Bernardino.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2009 10:14 PM by smn1256.)
10-12-2009 10:12 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
Nail clipper bizzarness aside, the kid brought a knife to school. If you have a policy (especially a zero-tolerance one), you have to enforce it. Yeah, it may be stupid, but you cannot bend it otherwise other rules become subject to challenging. If its stupid, then change the rule. But as long as its on the books, enforcement is necessary and expected of administrators who are entrusted with the responsibility.
10-13-2009 12:40 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
i have an interesting one, although it doesn't directly pertain to this. The rival school of my old high school had an awesome baseball coach named david miller. We didn't like him on the field because he was such a great coach and his team always beat us, but we certainly respected him off the field. He's honorable, a good person and supposedly a really good math teacher. He got screwed by the liberal school board and fired. His offense? His alcohol policy was less tolerant than the school's. he wanted his players to have to adhere to a zero tolerance drinking policy and apparently the school board with that. No parents complained, the school board simply saw fit to take action.

here's more info. if you want to shake your head, i suggest you read it. you'll learn how pathetic the liberal town of chapel hill can be.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 12:44 AM by flyingswoosh.)
10-13-2009 12:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.