Thomas Edison is under attack
10-06-2009 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!
RE: Light Bulbs vs. Nanny State
The bill shown is from 2007. Is that when it was signed into law?
10-06-2009 09:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Cap-and-Trade Bill 2009
It is not law yet. Hopefully will not pass Senate.
10-06-2009 10:05 AM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!
(10-06-2009 10:05 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Cap-and-Trade Bill 2009
It is not law yet. Hopefully will not pass Senate.

Wonder why they showed a 2007 bill.
10-06-2009 10:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
that paticular issue I think is in the 2007 bill. A bi-partisian agreement(Democrat Senate and Congress) with GOP whitehouse. Dems get something they want, GOP gets stuff they want. Now its about to get a whole lot worse.

failed to be mentioned here is who makes those CFL's......NBC, err GE

Plus, many State Govt. have already done this on the state level anyway. stupid
10-06-2009 11:01 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline

HR6 does not really say anything about 2012

H.R. 6:

2007-2008 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007

Increases energy efficiency standards for certain household appliances, battery chargers, walk-in coolers and freezers, electric motors, light bulbs, and other devices (Title III).

Sets forth requirements for the use of energy efficient lighting fixtures and bulbs in public building construction, alteration, and acquisition.

Instructs the Secretary of Energy to report to Congress on: (1) federal measures to reduce or prevent release of mercury during the manufacture, transportation, storage, or disposal of light bulbs; (2) whether specified rulemaking deadlines will be met; (3) an NAS review of advanced solid state lighting R&D and the impact upon the types of lighting available to consumers of an energy conservation standard requiring a minimum of 45 lumens per watt for general service lighting; and (4) the time frame for commercialization of lighting to replace incandescent and halogen incandescent lamp technology.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd...ab=summary
10-06-2009 11:09 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I had one of those dang bulbs in an apt. I lived in. It took forever to light up, 45 sec+, and then would keep getting brighter and brighter over the first 10 min. it was on. Annoyed the crap outta me. I moved in with 1 CFL, and 15-ish filament bulbs, and they were all burning after the year was over.

I turn on the light when I walk in a room, and turn it off when I leave. There is no need to wait 1 min. for me to use the light for 2 min. and turn it back off. I hated that CFL. It gave off weird light that gave a friend headaches too. Stupid bulb.
10-06-2009 11:12 AM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
there was a good political article I read, but can't find at the moment, about the 2007 bill. It was/is a big gamble given the mandates it sets. If certain things don't happen(or Congress doesn't amend down round) disaster lay ahead.
10-06-2009 11:17 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Good summary on why CFLs are a poor choice.

When every municipality's landfill is a superfund site from the Hg, I wonder if the signers of this bill will own up to their travesty?
10-06-2009 11:22 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
are the new LED lights you see in Menards the next evolution???? LED lightbulbs?????
10-06-2009 12:14 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(10-06-2009 12:14 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  are the new LED lights you see in Menards the next evolution???? LED lightbulbs?????

Absolutely.

Those really do have long lives, and their wallplug efficiency is fantastic. Now their lumen/watt ratio is coming up to a level that allows them to compete w/ light bulbs.

And while what's his name cites issues with the color rendering index for LEDs (although we all know that applying the CRI to a set of discrete wavelengths instead of a continuum is inappropriate), what I think you'll find is that manufacturers or consumers will be able to tailor the CRI a given source by using LEDs of different lots, thus making the light much warmer and welcoming than CFLs, and perhaps at times even better than incandescents.

So while manufacturing usually strives for control over parameters that affect performance, color diversity even w/in lots will make this less of an issue for LEDs for lighting. (Of course in the end, manufactureres will still strive for control, then they can meet a recipe for desired lighting.)

The versatility of LEDs make them the "killer ap" especially when combined w/ their superior cost performance.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2009 01:21 PM by DrTorch.)
10-06-2009 12:59 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

The Secretary of Energy to report to Congress on measures to reduce or prevent release of mercury during the manufacture, transportation, storage, or disposal of light bulbs.

Release of mercury is a VERY SCARY thing. Just that alone should discourage the environmentalists. It' Been 2 years, where is the report and plan?

AS FAR AS I CAN TELL THERE IS NO REPORT AND NO PLAN. Yea, let them legislate Healthcare. Stupid, Moronic, A$$hole Congress.
Steven Chu Sect. of Energy is more concerned about painting everyone's roof white
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2009 01:18 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
10-06-2009 01:14 PM
DrTorch Offline

(10-06-2009 12:59 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(10-06-2009 12:14 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  are the new LED lights you see in Menards the next evolution???? LED lightbulbs?????

Absolutely.

Those really do have long lives, and their wallplug efficiency is fantastic. Now their lumen/watt ratio is coming up to a level that allows them to compete w/ light bulbs.

And while what's his name cites issues with the color rendering index for LEDs (although we all know that applying the CRI to a set of discrete wavelengths instead of a continuum is inappropriate), what I think you'll find is that manufacturers or consumers will be able to tailor the CRI a given source by using LEDs of different lots, thus making the light much warmer and welcoming than CFLs, and perhaps at times even better than incandescents.

So while manufacturing usually strives for control over parameters that affect performance, color diversity even w/in lots will make this less of an issue for LEDs for lighting. (Of course in the end, manufactureres will still strive for control, then they can meet a recipe for desired lighting.)

The versatility of LEDs make them the "killer ap" especially when combined w/ their superior cost performance.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/02/07/sw...fantastic/

Quote: I was impressed the first moment I saw the light they produced. It was warm, not harsh, and even better, it worked on a dimmer control.

The neatest trick with these lights is that they combine yellow and white LED’s in a matrix to get a color temperature that is 2700K or 3500K (your choice) which makes them give similar light to incandescents.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2010 03:47 PM by DrTorch.)
02-09-2010 01:53 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(10-06-2009 09:44 AM)GGniner Wrote:  Thomas Edison is under attack

The idea that Edison would resist further invention is kind of ludicrous. If his estate is still receiving royalties for incandescents.

My daughter did her 4th grade science fair project on how incandescents versus CFL performed with dimmer switches. There were some results that surprised me, mildly. When she has some time, I'm going to ask her some more questions about them to see what she can conclude. The two big things were (1) There is a big step in energy use just to get a little bit of light out of an incandescent (didn't think about it beforehand, but pretty easy to understand), then energy use is fairly linear as you go up to full power, (2) standard CFLs have a big spike in energy use around 1/2 way on the dimmer switches that we used ... at this setting, CFL uses about 80% of what incandescents do, (3) dimmable CFLs used pretty constant energy over the entire range of settings, and performed pretty well w.r.t. dimming.

I didn't know that LEDs would work (or wouldn't) work with dimmers, so I wasn't interested in shelling out the bucks to include those, but maybe I'll help her wire one of these in and then - if the price goes down - start putting them in around the house.
02-09-2010 02:56 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
02-09-2010 03:32 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
Rolleyes RE: Light Bulbs vs. Nanny State
(02-09-2010 03:32 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  It's not like banning crap hasn't been done before.

California wants to ban black cars

California to ban fireplaces in new homes

California to ban big screen TV sets

California bans home schooling

California bans plastic bags

WTH is wrong with you radicals in California. 05-stirthepot
02-09-2010 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.