Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Soccer: UNT knocks off Texas Tech
Bookmark and Share
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Soccer: UNT knocks off Texas Tech
Great win over a Tech team that has just defeated nationally ranked TCU. UNT now 3 straight over Big XII teams (including last season). UNT now 3-1 for the young season

Juett Scores Game-Winning Goal In Overtime To Beat Texas Tech, 2-1

Courtesy: University of North Texas
Release: 09/06/2009

DENTON, Texas (9/6/09) - Senior midfielder Kendall Juett proved why she was selected the Sun Belt Preseason Player of the Year Sunday afternoon, scoring the game-winning goal in overtime and leading the Mean Green to a 2-1 victory over Texas Tech at the North Texas Soccer Field.

"This was a big game for us considering we lost on Friday to SMU,"Juett said. "It was nice to kind of get that monkey (first goal of the season) off my back. I had a couple of chances during the game that I missed out on. I'm probably my biggest critic but that was a great feeling to score that goal."

Juett's goal, the 27th of her career and 10th game-winner, came six minutes into overtime and was off a big mistake by Texas Tech. A Red Raider headed the ball straight up in the air and when it eventually came back down Juett outraced three Texas Tech defenders and set herself up perfectly for a shot that sailed into the back left corner of the net.

The win was even more special for the Mean Green considering they lost two players (Lauren Shockey and Kara Brooks) to concussions. Shockey would eventually return only to suffer a leg injury and was afterwards carted off the field.

"I knew going in that Texas Tech was going to be a tough challenge especially since they knocked off nationally ranked TCU on Friday," North Texas head coach John Hedlund said. "But in the end I couldn’t of been more proud of my team today, we beat a very solid Big 12 team.

North Texas jumped on the Red Raiders early when freshman forward Michelle Young scored her first collegiate goal at the 12:29 mark. Young took a pass from Kelsey Perlman in stride at midfield, beat her defender and raced all the way down the field to beat Texas Tech goalkeeper Erin Wikelius.

However, the Red Raiders responded in the 74th minute on Tiffini Smith's first goal of the season to tie the game 1-1.

The Mean Green outshot Texas Tech 21-18, including 4-0 in overtime. Juett had a season-high nine shots while Kelli Lunsford had four. Junior goalkeeper Mandy Hall was terrific again stopping nine shots.

For the Mean Green soccer team it was the second straight season they defeated a Big 12 opponent in overtime. Last year it was Lunsford scoring the game-winning goal in OT against Oklahoma. North Texas has now won three straight matches against Big 12 (at Baylor last season) opponents dating back to last season.

"The fans were great today, the atmosphere felt a lot like the OU game of last year," Hedlund said. "But instead of Kelli getting the game winner it was my other senior Kendall stepping up and scoring the winning goal in overtime, she really came through for us today.

The win was Hedlund's 199th of his career and he will have an opportunity to get number 200 next Friday when North Texas hosts Baylor at 7 p.m.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2009 06:25 PM by MeanGreen61.)
09-06-2009 06:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
RE: Soccer: UNT knocks off Texas Tech
Way to go Mean Green.

Big XII teams walk in with that smugness, and I love watching Big XII teams go down.
09-06-2009 06:26 PM
NT03 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNT
RE: Soccer: UNT knocks off Texas Tech
(09-06-2009 06:26 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Way to go Mean Green.

Big XII teams walk in with that smugness, and I love watching Big XII teams go down.

We get a chance to sweep the BIG XII with a home game vs Baylor this Friday
09-06-2009 08:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.