Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama is going to speak to all the school kids on September 8!
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Obama is going to speak to all the school kids on September 8!
This scares the Hell out of me. Talk about installing the "Cult of Obama". And I bet some teachers ask their students "How many of your parents do not agree with President Obama and what do they say about him?"

PreK-6 Menu of Classroom Activities:
President Obama’s Address to Students
Across America
Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education September 8, 2009

Before the Speech:

Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama and motivate students by asking the following questions: Who is the President of the United States? What do you think it takes to be President? To whom do you think the President is going to be speaking? Why do you think he wants to speak to you? What do you think he will say to you?

Teachers can ask students to imagine being the President delivering a speech to all of the students in the United States. What would you tell students? What can students do to help in our schools? Teachers can chart ideas about what they would say.

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?

During the Speech:

As the President speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a Cluster Web, or students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children can draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following: What is the President trying to tell me? What is the President asking me to do? What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about?

Students can record important parts of the speech where the President is asking them to do something. Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?

Students can record any questions they have while he is speaking and then discuss them after the speech. Younger children may need to dictate their questions.

After the Speech:

Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes or stick notes on a butcher paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, i.e. citizenship, personal responsibility, civic duty.

Students could discuss their responses to the following questions: What do you think the President wants us to do? Does the speech make you want to do anything? Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us? What would you like to tell the President?

Teachers could encourage students to participate in the Department of Education’s “I Am What Learn” video contest. On September 8 the Department will invite K-12 students to submit a video no longer than 2 min, explaining why education is important and how their education will help them achieve their dreams. Teachers are welcome to incorporate the same or a similar video project into an assignment. More details will be released via http://www.ed.gov
Extension of the Speech: Teachers can extend learning by having students

Create posters of their goals. Posters could be formatted in quadrants or puzzle pieces or trails marked with the labels: personal, academic, community, country. Each area could be labeled with three steps for achieving goals in those areas. It might make sense to focus on personal and academic so community and country goals come more readily.

Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals.

Write goals on colored index cards or precut designs to post around the classroom.

Interview and share about their goals with one another to create a supportive community.

Participate in School wide incentive programs or contests for students who achieve their goals.

Write about their goals in a variety of genres, i.e. poems, songs, personal essays.

Create artistic projects based on the themes of their goals.

Graph student progress toward goals.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10582301/Pre...ber-8-2009
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2009 09:12 PM by WoodlandsOwl.)
09-01-2009 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: Obama is going to speak to all the school kids on September 8!
My 5th grade boy thinks the Big O's name is Oh Bomber. I haven't corrected him yet. ***** principal will probably suspend him when she hears him say that.
09-01-2009 09:47 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I urge ALL parents to withdraw their child from school on that day. It is bad enough that most of the school day is being used for things OTHER than education..but..now MORE BS government indoctrination.03-banghead. I would love for this to be in front of empty classrooms.

The reality is...America will EAT this up!! I have to give his highness credit..he is almost as good as Reagan was as a manipulator of the press and as a communicator.:ncaabbs:
09-01-2009 10:02 PM
TomorrowHerd Offline
Protecting the Northern Flank

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
If ANY republican would do this the left would go NUTS!!!

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important? Elected officials are always right. You should do what they say. They know better than your family does.

What is the President trying to tell me? What is the President asking me to do? What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about? I should listen to the president, and do what he says. The president thinks this, I should too.

Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people? The president is asking us to support him and his plans, they are best for us. He is the highest govt official, I should do what he says. CONFORM

Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes or stick notes on a butcher paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, i.e. citizenship, personal responsibility, civic duty. We should plaster the walls with what the president wants us to do. We should look at this and do it to help the president. CONFORM

What do you think the President wants us to do? Does the speech make you want to do anything? Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us? What would you like to tell the President? We should do what the president says. He is thinking of us. CONFORM

the Department of Education’s “I Am What Learn” video contest
I should enter this contest so that I can win. The president and his friends can use it to help them. CONFORM Gee, now they think competition is good.

Create posters of their goals. Posters could be formatted in quadrants or puzzle pieces or trails marked with the labels: personal, academic, community, country. Each area could be labeled with three steps for achieving goals in those areas. It might make sense to focus on personal and academic so community and country goals come more readily. We need to make posters to put on all the walls in our school and community. Showing how we can help dear leader accomplish his goals. CONFORM, OBEY

Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals. We will make a promise to ourselves that the teachers will make sure we keep and we will be punished if we do not do what the supreme commander says. CONFORM, OBEY

Write goals on colored index cards or precut designs to post around the classroom. We must make sure we do what the dear leader says. We needed to be reminded to do the work of the state. CONFORM, OBEY, WORK FOR COUNTRY

Interview and share about their goals with one another to create a supportive community. EVERYONE must feel the same way about what the fuhrer says. WE MUST CONFORM, WE MUST NOT HAVE OUR OWN THOUGHTS, THE THOUGHTS OF ONE MUST BE THE THOUGHT OF ALL!!

Participate in School wide incentive programs or contests for students who achieve their goals. We must make sure everyone conforms to win prizes. Anyone who does not conform needs to be changed or left behind, SEIG HEIL!!!

Write about their goals in a variety of genres, i.e. poems, songs, personal essays. I must spend a lot of time to write what the president wants from me. The teacher will be there to make sure I do it right. CONFORM OBEY

Create artistic projects based on the themes of their goals. We must be creative to help the president The only goal that matter are the goals of the president

Graph student progress toward goals. If I do not do what the president says I will be laughed at by my classmates and the teacher will punish me. CONFORM, OBEY.

If Bush did this the NEA would laugh him out of the room. The ACLU would sue him. The media would say he is trying to corrupt our kids.
You will not hear a peep bad out of any of these groups about this.

He is going to get himself killed. I will have nothing to do about the color of his skin. But, what he is doing to our country. It will bring about violence all over the country, and make him more powerful than he is now. He will be a martyr for communism.

I am sick.
09-02-2009 01:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(09-01-2009 09:10 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  This scares the Hell out of me. Talk about installing the "Cult of Obama". And I bet some teachers ask their students "How many of your parents do not agree with President Obama and what do they say about him?"

PreK-6 Menu of Classroom Activities:
President Obama’s Address to Students
Across America
Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education September 8, 2009

Before the Speech:

Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama and motivate students by asking the following questions: Who is the President of the United States? What do you think it takes to be President? To whom do you think the President is going to be speaking? Why do you think he wants to speak to you? What do you think he will say to you?

Teachers can ask students to imagine being the President delivering a speech to all of the students in the United States. What would you tell students? What can students do to help in our schools? Teachers can chart ideas about what they would say.

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?

During the Speech:

As the President speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a Cluster Web, or students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children can draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following: What is the President trying to tell me? What is the President asking me to do? What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about?

Students can record important parts of the speech where the President is asking them to do something. Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?

Students can record any questions they have while he is speaking and then discuss them after the speech. Younger children may need to dictate their questions.

After the Speech:

Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes or stick notes on a butcher paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, i.e. citizenship, personal responsibility, civic duty.

Students could discuss their responses to the following questions: What do you think the President wants us to do? Does the speech make you want to do anything? Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us? What would you like to tell the President?

Teachers could encourage students to participate in the Department of Education’s “I Am What Learn” video contest. On September 8 the Department will invite K-12 students to submit a video no longer than 2 min, explaining why education is important and how their education will help them achieve their dreams. Teachers are welcome to incorporate the same or a similar video project into an assignment. More details will be released via http://www.ed.gov
Extension of the Speech: Teachers can extend learning by having students

Create posters of their goals. Posters could be formatted in quadrants or puzzle pieces or trails marked with the labels: personal, academic, community, country. Each area could be labeled with three steps for achieving goals in those areas. It might make sense to focus on personal and academic so community and country goals come more readily.

Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals.

Write goals on colored index cards or precut designs to post around the classroom.

Interview and share about their goals with one another to create a supportive community.

Participate in School wide incentive programs or contests for students who achieve their goals.

Write about their goals in a variety of genres, i.e. poems, songs, personal essays.

Create artistic projects based on the themes of their goals.

Graph student progress toward goals.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10582301/Pre...ber-8-2009
Of course your scared. This is nothing new. You are a republican so EVERYTHING scares you.
09-02-2009 02:37 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-02-2009 01:06 AM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  If ANY republican would do this the left would go NUTS!!!

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important? Elected officials are always right. You should do what they say. They know better than your family does.

What is the President trying to tell me? What is the President asking me to do? What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about? I should listen to the president, and do what he says. The president thinks this, I should too.

Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people? The president is asking us to support him and his plans, they are best for us. He is the highest govt official, I should do what he says. CONFORM

Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes or stick notes on a butcher paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, i.e. citizenship, personal responsibility, civic duty. We should plaster the walls with what the president wants us to do. We should look at this and do it to help the president. CONFORM

What do you think the President wants us to do? Does the speech make you want to do anything? Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us? What would you like to tell the President? We should do what the president says. He is thinking of us. CONFORM

the Department of Education’s “I Am What Learn” video contest
I should enter this contest so that I can win. The president and his friends can use it to help them. CONFORM Gee, now they think competition is good.

Create posters of their goals. Posters could be formatted in quadrants or puzzle pieces or trails marked with the labels: personal, academic, community, country. Each area could be labeled with three steps for achieving goals in those areas. It might make sense to focus on personal and academic so community and country goals come more readily. We need to make posters to put on all the walls in our school and community. Showing how we can help dear leader accomplish his goals. CONFORM, OBEY

Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals. We will make a promise to ourselves that the teachers will make sure we keep and we will be punished if we do not do what the supreme commander says. CONFORM, OBEY

Write goals on colored index cards or precut designs to post around the classroom. We must make sure we do what the dear leader says. We needed to be reminded to do the work of the state. CONFORM, OBEY, WORK FOR COUNTRY

Interview and share about their goals with one another to create a supportive community. EVERYONE must feel the same way about what the fuhrer says. WE MUST CONFORM, WE MUST NOT HAVE OUR OWN THOUGHTS, THE THOUGHTS OF ONE MUST BE THE THOUGHT OF ALL!!

Participate in School wide incentive programs or contests for students who achieve their goals. We must make sure everyone conforms to win prizes. Anyone who does not conform needs to be changed or left behind, SEIG HEIL!!!

Write about their goals in a variety of genres, i.e. poems, songs, personal essays. I must spend a lot of time to write what the president wants from me. The teacher will be there to make sure I do it right. CONFORM OBEY

Create artistic projects based on the themes of their goals. We must be creative to help the president The only goal that matter are the goals of the president

Graph student progress toward goals. If I do not do what the president says I will be laughed at by my classmates and the teacher will punish me. CONFORM, OBEY.

If Bush did this the NEA would laugh him out of the room. The ACLU would sue him. The media would say he is trying to corrupt our kids.
You will not hear a peep bad out of any of these groups about this.

He is going to get himself killed. I will have nothing to do about the color of his skin. But, what he is doing to our country. It will bring about violence all over the country, and make him more powerful than he is now. He will be a martyr for communism.

I am sick.
Well, at least he is an elected official. You do all that when you listen to Rush.
09-02-2009 02:44 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-01-2009 09:47 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  My 5th grade boy thinks the Big O's name is Oh Bomber. I haven't corrected him yet. ***** principal will probably suspend him when she hears him say that.
Wow. Thats impressive. You have a son that got farther in school than you did. Did your son tell you that Obama isn't a Muslim yet?
09-02-2009 02:47 AM
TomorrowHerd Offline
Protecting the Northern Flank

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
Ummmm..... the closest Rush affiliate is 3800 miles away. You lose again sparky.
I can CHOOSE to turn off Rush. I or my kids can not CHOOSE to turn off their teachers and principals.

You are the very definition of a useful idiot.
09-02-2009 05:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(09-02-2009 05:50 AM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  You are the very definition of a useless idiot.

Fixed.

I don't have an issue with Obama talking to students about the importance of education.

What I would take issue with is if during the speech he talks about his policy vision and asks them to support it. I.e. healthcare. "Tell your parents how important healthcare is and that should support its reform" or something to that effect. That's what would piss me off.
09-02-2009 07:34 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-02-2009 07:34 AM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  
(09-02-2009 05:50 AM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  You are the very definition of a useless idiot.

Fixed.

I don't have an issue with Obama talking to students about the importance of education.

What I would take issue with is if during the speech he talks about his policy vision and asks them to support it. I.e. healthcare. "Tell your parents how important healthcare is and that should support its reform" or something to that effect. That's what would piss me off.

I'm with you. If all he does is talk about how important education is....do your homework, study hard, you will do better in work world if you are educated, etc. I really have no problem with it at all.

However, the first time he tries to slip his political agenda into it, it's garbage indoctrination. If he adds in the political crap, he's not far from the Nazis urging kids to turn their parents in to the authorities for being "enemies of the state". Not quite as bad - but heading in that direction.
09-02-2009 07:51 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
my niece started kindergarden recently, apparently gone are the days of getting your name wrote on the board and sitting in the corner for acting up.

Nope today, every student has a card on their desk and the goal is to keep the Card on "Green" all day, which means you didn't do anything wrong. Teaching them at an early age that "Green = Goodness".
09-02-2009 07:51 AM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
as we now know, you can't put past them giving some little kid lines to recite telling Obama how important Healthcare is to them(like what they did at Teddy's funeral). This gets message accross, via a messenger we aren't allowed to criticize and keeps the message from coming out of Obama's lips, other than whatever his response is.
09-02-2009 07:54 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(09-02-2009 02:37 AM)RobertN Wrote:  Of course your scared. This is nothing new. You are a republican so EVERYTHING scares you.

You mean things like:

Private health care?

Home schooling?

Allowing children to be born?

Defending our borders?

Citizens bearing arms?

Posters of Obama?

Who's scared of those things again?
09-02-2009 08:31 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Perhaps they'll sing hymns to The One?

like these kids in California did last year:

09-02-2009 08:39 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
So glad my kids are home schooled. Nobody in my house will have to listen to the Ego In Chief go on about himself.
09-02-2009 10:09 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(09-02-2009 10:09 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  So glad my kids are home schooled. Nobody in my house will have to listen to the Ego In Chief go on about himself.

You are doing the right thing. Although mine managed through OK...If I had it to do all over again...I would work 2 jobs in order to afford to put her in private school.
09-02-2009 11:02 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-02-2009 08:31 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(09-02-2009 02:37 AM)RobertN Wrote:  Of course your scared. This is nothing new. You are a republican so EVERYTHING scares you.

You mean things like:

Private health care? Doesn't scare me as long as there are some regulations.

Home schooling? Doesn't scare me unless the kids aren't taught the necessary subjects like math and science(of course, this wil be a problem for you since you hate science-despite your claiming that is what you do)

Allowing children to be born? I am not affraid of allowing children to be born.

Defending our borders? I think we need to help control the borders and needs to watch the number of people from other countries coming here for jobs. I am not scared to defend our borders and for the most part, not scared of the people that come here to work.

Citizens bearing arms? No, I am not scared about people having guns to go hunting. I am scared of mentally ill people with guns(Trip), people who don't care about gun safety etc.

Posters of Obama? When the signs basically say to kill the man? Yes, it scares me.

Who's scared of those things again?
For the most part, I am not scared of those things.
09-02-2009 12:50 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-02-2009 10:09 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  So glad my kids are home schooled. Nobody in my house will have to listen to the Ego In Chief go on about himself.
Who is teaching your kids? I certainly hope it is someone competent and not you. 05-stirthepot
09-02-2009 12:54 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(09-02-2009 12:54 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
Who is teaching your kids? I certainly hope it is someone competent and not you. 05-stirthepot

If, you consider our current President competent, then I accept your statement as a compliment. Of course you are a total idiot just like the President.
09-02-2009 01:13 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Looks like the Department of Education is "re-evaluating" some of the worksheet activities, after everyone has screamed.
09-03-2009 08:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.