Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Re-negotiating conference tv deal in bad economy causes some c-usa concern
Bookmark and Share
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Re-negotiating conference tv deal in bad economy causes some c-usa concern
Were Louisivlle, Cincinnati, and South Florida still in c-usa the last time the c-usa tv deal was negotiated?

excerpt from article in Orlando Sentinel:

Quote:Conference USA could be at a crossroads.

The conference is starting to renegotiate lucrative television contracts that could be vital to the long-term health and stability of a collection of schools brought together partly with TV in mind.

C-USA's $67.8 million agreements with CBS College Sports and ESPN expire at the conclusion of the 2010-11 season.

The numbers might sound like a pittance compared to the Southeastern Conference's blockbuster $3 billion television deals with ESPN and CBS, but it is huge money for a non-BCS conference.

The TV money binds teams urban and rural, public and private, East and West. It made it possible for the 12-team league to survive defections of its former marquee programs such as Louisville and Cincinnati to the Big East, and be spread 1,500 miles from Orlando to the western tip of Texas.

"Oh, it's very important," said UCF President John Hitt, chairman of the C-USA committee that will be overseeing the negotiations.

The TV agreements will help determine whether Conference USA keeps up with the Mountain West Conference, which has established itself as the strongest non-BCS league thanks to a combination of signature upsets and an $82 million contract with CBS College Sports, or slips closer to funding levels of the Western Athletic, Mid-American and Sun Belt conferences.

C-USA's teams have come to expect quite a bit more than the reported $330,000 per school WAC teams get each year from ESPN.

"They [television contracts] have become lifeblood for sustaining contracts, facility improvements and paying off debt," said Karen Weaver, president of Intelligent Recruiting and an educator who has studied college football television deals extensively. "It's important to make money off of a national audience in order to compete at the highest levels of college football."

If C-USA finds the TV marketplace less lucrative than in the past, its future becomes less stable. Its strengths — diverse schools and broad geographic base — could become weaknesses. Without TV money and exposure, it could become hard to justify such expansive territory with little else tying the schools together, especially in non-revenue sports.

"It's a ripe situation to either align with a conference that has better TV coverage or find a way to get into major media markets [through expansion or defections]," Weaver said. "Without a good television deal, no one would think twice about leaving."

Hitt said the league is optimistic negotiations will go well, though other experts wonder what the market might bear in both a bad economy and with other, more prominent leagues such as the Big 12, ACC and Pac-10 lining up to chase SEC-type dollars.

"The consultants that we're dealing with are pretty encouraging," Hitt said. "Obviously, we'd like to be able to be doing this in a better economic climate, but so far the investment information that we can get suggests that we'll be able to continue to have some really good revenue."

C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky said he does not believe other leagues' deals will affect C-USA.

"It's possible that other agreements could have an impact elsewhere, but the truth of the matter is college football continues to be a very popular sport and a very popular enterprise," Banowsky said. " ... We feel we're relatively confident we'll be able to expand our distribution and hopefully grow revenue."

C-USA will pitch the quality of its competition as part of the package — evenly matched teams that produce drama.

"We know we have a very good product," UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble said.

Even though they have confidence in their leadership at the negotiating table, athletic directors — including Hitt's — are bracing for bad news.

"I think we all as athletic directors are realistic," Tribble said. "To try to maintain those same numbers may be tough. We're prepared that we may have to accept less.

"We don't want to go into the negotiation thinking this will be a real big bonanza for us in the TV contract. We understand the economic situation does not present that."

In several interviews with the Sentinel, Banowsky said he is optimistic about hanging on to one of C-USA's unique features: national TV deals with more than one network. ESPN and CBS College Sports have typically signed exclusive deals with non-BCS conferences, but C-USA was able to introduce contract language that allowed it to sign with both.

In this next round of talks, the networks might demand exclusivity, which could cut into the overall TV profits and decrease the amount of TV games available to fans. Midweek games could become a negotiating point, too.

The MAC has sacrificed playing on traditional football game days in exchange for a television deal with ESPN. Financial terms of the agreement have not been disclosed, but reports indicate it was not an especially lucrative deal for the conference. The move was more about exposure.

Conference USA is scheduled to have at least 49 football games broadcast on ESPN, CBS College Sports and Comcast regional television. The league has only three games on nontraditional nights this season — two Thursdays and one Tuesday. Of the MAC's 40 games on the ESPN family of networks, almost one-fourth (9) will be played on nontraditional nights.

"This past year, I think the administration made a concerted effort to stay away from mid-week games," UCF Coach George O'Leary said. "I think that's great. We had one year where I think we had three of them mid-week. That weighs on your team and hurts you from a consistency standpoint."

The best negotiating ploy for C-USA? O'Leary said it's simple.

"You only get the good things if you win," he said. "If we're winning games, you're going to get picked up more on TV. Hopefully when you're on TV, you can take advantage of the opportunity and get exposure instead of being exposed."
08-15-2009 07:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Re-negotiating conference tv deal in bad economy causes some c-usa concern
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I wouldn't be suprised to see a slight reduction or a slight increase in revenue. everyone to this point has signed for more $$$ but the SEC deal put a whole new light on the situation. I'm not real worried about the CBSTV thing so much as the Espn deal. Alot will depend on what the economy does in the next 3 to 6 mos.

The last tv deal was done after the break up, not before.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2009 08:27 AM by goodknightfl.)
08-15-2009 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The ESPN deal with CUSA was actually done prior to the defections, ESPN exercised its right to renegotiate the deal and slashed the dollars and appearances. Technically you can say it is a new contract but it only became a new contract due to the defections.

The SEC deal was closed two months prior to the DJIA taking a 40% single day dive.

The SEC deal is a significant increase in inventory for ESPN because they replace the JP syndicated deal and will move a lot of games that would have been PPV only on to ESPN property. That means fewer spots for telecasts.
08-16-2009 01:50 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(08-16-2009 01:50 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  The ESPN deal with CUSA was actually done prior to the defections, ESPN exercised its right to renegotiate the deal and slashed the dollars and appearances. Technically you can say it is a new contract but it only became a new contract due to the defections.

The SEC deal was closed two months prior to the DJIA taking a 40% single day dive.

The SEC deal is a significant increase in inventory for ESPN because they replace the JP syndicated deal and will move a lot of games that would have been PPV only on to ESPN property. That means fewer spots for telecasts.

It's just not right that one individual can keep up with so much of this stuff. How do you find time to work?!?!?!
03-drunk
08-17-2009 10:25 AM
Advertisement

eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-16-2009 01:50 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  The ESPN deal with CUSA was actually done prior to the defections, ESPN exercised its right to renegotiate the deal and slashed the dollars and appearances. Technically you can say it is a new contract but it only became a new contract due to the defections.

You are correct in that the cusa - espn deal was agreed to AFTER the defections. There has been little change in the set up since that time therefore cusa is actually expecting little if any decrease in the dollars involved, depends some on the economy at the time they negotiate. Cusa is feeling the pressure now to go ahead and admit utsa and usa due to the significant media markets and their potential but no one wants to go beyond the 12 now in tow. These would be considerable assets but we shall see how it shakes out in the end.
08-17-2009 04:34 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I don't believe for a minute there is any significant pressure to add either, certainly not from ESPN.

The Southland has UTSA and Texas-Arlington and was Fox Regional for their conference tournament championship last time I looked.
08-17-2009 05:04 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
(08-17-2009 10:25 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  

It's just not right that one individual can keep up with so much of this stuff. How do you find time to work?!?!?!
03-drunk

don't you know? arkstfan doesn't have to work! he's actually Batman, but since retirement from crime fighting, arkstfan devotes all of his Bat Cave technology to following mid-major college football.

Batman has finally found his TRUE calling. 03-thumbsup
08-17-2009 05:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-17-2009 05:04 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I don't believe for a minute there is any significant pressure to add either, certainly not from ESPN.

The Southland has UTSA and Texas-Arlington and was Fox Regional for their conference tournament championship last time I looked.
Its a free country. Believe what you like. Dont believe for a minute though that espn isnt looking out for espn and what is important to them, households.
08-17-2009 06:38 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Which is why I don't believe it. ESPN has shown no interest at obtaining UTSA games in basketball.... a sport they actually play right now.
08-17-2009 06:46 PM
marlonfield Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MT
(08-17-2009 04:34 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  

You are correct in that the cusa - espn deal was agreed to AFTER the defections. There has been little change in the set up since that time therefore cusa is actually expecting little if any decrease in the dollars involved, depends some on the economy at the time they negotiate. Cusa is feeling the pressure now to go ahead and admit utsa and usa due to the significant media markets and their potential but no one wants to go beyond the 12 now in tow. These would be considerable assets but we shall see how it shakes out in the end.

If this being discussed to go to 14 ECU's AD will blow a gasket, and probably go indy or try to start that new league of 9, he's been wanting.
08-17-2009 06:46 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(08-17-2009 05:04 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I don't believe for a minute there is any significant pressure to add either, certainly not from ESPN.

The Southland stopped dealing with Fox Sports Southwest starting last season. They created their own syndication company for telecasts of football and basketball throughout their conference footprint.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbm...R_CONTENT=

As for the timeline of which came first, the contract or C-USA defections, it was the defections that caused the contract to be reopened.

2001 - C-USA and ESPN begin the 1st year of an eight year contract
http://conferenceusa.cstv.com/sports/m-f...01aaa.html

2003 - Five C-USA members accept invite to Big East on November 4, 2003
http://www.bigeast.org/ViewArticle.dbml?...ID=1182697

2005 - C-USA signed reconfigured deal with ESPN and new contract with CSTV
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/...index.html
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2009 07:50 PM by mattsarz.)
08-17-2009 07:39 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Cusa isn't going to 14.. and definatly not for those 2 schools. They would have to each generate over 1mil per year for it to be worth considering. If they move up they will be Sunbelt additions.
08-17-2009 07:42 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-17-2009 07:42 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Cusa isn't going to 14.. and definatly not for those 2 schools. They would have to each generate over 1mil per year for it to be worth considering. If they move up they will be Sunbelt additions.

Forget what I said. I dont know nuttin. All you guys should never be questioned.
08-17-2009 07:59 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-17-2009 07:42 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Cusa isn't going to 14.. and definatly not for those 2 schools. They would have to each generate over 1mil per year for it to be worth considering. If they move up they will be Sunbelt additions.

As has been discussed heavily, neither offers enough to keep the Sun Belt from losing dollars.
08-18-2009 07:55 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(08-17-2009 05:07 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  don't you know? arkstfan doesn't have to work! he's actually Batman, but since retirement from crime fighting, arkstfan devotes all of his Bat Cave technology to following mid-major college football.

Batman has finally found his TRUE calling. 03-thumbsup

I still maintain that Arkstfan is actually a computer that was accidentally left connected in Area 56. The machine has hired this dweeb 'human' to act as the real person, but after meeting said human many times, I'm just not convinced that they could be one in the same.
08-18-2009 08:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.