Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Senate Panel Passes Health Bill, as CBO Predicts Cost Explosion in House Version
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Senate Panel Passes Health Bill, as CBO Predicts Cost Explosion in House Version

House Democratic leaders offer a $1.5 trillion health care plan, as a Senate committee becomes the first to pass a version of a health care overhaul.

The comprehensive health care overhaul being pitched by House Democrats could lead to a cost explosion in the long-term, a preliminary analysis from the Congressional Budget Office suggests.

[Image: pelosi_healthcare2_071409.jpg]
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is joined by other House Democratic leaders in announcing health care legislation Tuesday on Capitol Hill. (AP Photo)

Meanwhile, President Obama's vision for health care reform narrowly passed its first test Wednesday, as a Senate committee became the first to act on a bill aimed at overhauling the system.

In a party-line vote that reflected deep concerns over costs, the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee voted 13-10, with all Republicans on the committee opposing, to pass a $600-billion version that would expand coverage to nearly all Americans by requiring individuals get insurance and employers to contribute to the cost.

The bill would provide federal aid to families and individuals making less than four times the poverty level, or about $88,000 for a family of four.

That's just the first hurdle for one of several bills, each with fluctuating cost estimates. For the House Democrats' version, the CBO estimate tags the 10-year cost of the plan at just over $1 trillion, while one Democratic aide said the bill would add up to $1.5 trillion over the next decade.

But the CBO estimate shows that even if the price tag holds to $1 trillion, more than 80 percent of the costs will hit in the last five years. This indicates that after 2019, taxpayers could be hit with a rising tidal wave of health care expenses resulting from the shift in health care coverage from the private to public sector.

Amid those staggering estimates, advocates and foes of such a plan are facing off in a pitched battle on Capitol Hill, coinciding with the tame-by-comparison drama of Sonia Sotomayor's Supreme Court confirmation hearing.

"This bill has massive spending and massive tax increases to try to cover the spending in the bill," Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., said at a press conference with other congressional Republicans Tuesday, complaining about a provision in the House bill to tax the wealthy. "Half of that will be hit on small businesses."

In a fundraising appeal titled "Hillarycare revisited," the Republican National Committee warned about "Obamacare" and said the government "already runs car companies, banks and mortgage companies. Republicans believe that the last thing the American people want is government telling them when and where -- or even whether -- they can get medical treatment for their families."

On the other side of the aisle, Democrats -- though hardly in lockstep over how to achieve reform -- are escalating their call for action against a tightening timetable.

President Obama, who warned Congress not to delay upon returning from his latest overseas trip, will make a statement on health care Wednesday afternoon.

"There's going to be a major debate over the next three weeks," Obama said Tuesday in Warren, Mich., deviating from his prepared text on new spending for community colleges. "And don't be fooled by folks trying to scare you saying we can't change the health care system. We have no choice but to change the health care system because right now it's broken for too many Americans."

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce committee, gave a similar assessment.

"We cannot allow this issue to be delayed. We cannot put it off again," he said."We, quite frankly, cannot go home for a recess unless the House and the Senate both pass bills to reform and restructure our health care system."

In the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid said he wanted floor debate to begin a week from Monday. With the Senate Finance Committee still struggling to reach consensus on its own bill, that timetable could slip. Even so, it underscored a renewed sense of urgency.

Obama's political organization is launching a series of 30-second television ads on health care, which will begin airing Wednesday in Washington and on cable TV nationally. A version will run on local stations in eight states -- Arkansas, Indiana, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, North Dakota, Nebraska and Ohio -- to prod senators to back the health care effort. They will run for two weeks.

In the ads, private citizens describe problems they've had with the medical system and say it's time for action. The sponsor is Organizing for America, Obama's campaign organization, which has become part of the national Democratic Party. The group would not reveal the cost.

All involved were mindful of the dwindling days before Congress leaves town. Obama wants legislation through the House and Senate before then to slow rising costs and extend coverage to some 50 million uninsured Americans.

Under the House Democrats' plan, the federal government would be responsible for ensuring that every person, regardless of income or the state of their health, has access to an affordable insurance plan. Individuals and employers would have new obligations to get coverage, or face hefty penalties. The CBO estimated that the plan would reduce the number of "nonelderly" uninsured by 37 million over 10 years.

The legislation calls for a 5.4 percent tax increase on individuals making more than $1 million a year, with a gradual tax beginning at $280,000 for individuals. Employers who don't provide coverage would be hit with a penalty equal to 8 percent of workers' wages, with an exemption for small businesses. Individuals who decline an offer of affordable coverage would pay 2.5 percent of their incomes as a penalty, up to the average cost of a health insurance plan.

Three House committees will begin voting on the bill Thursday. Changes in the legislation are likely to satisfy a group of moderate and conservative Democrats who are withholding support.

The 1,000-page bill is unlikely to attract any Republican backing, and business groups and the insurance industry immediately assailed it as a job-killer.

The Finance Committee was striving to produce a bill by the end of the week, though the committee's chairman, Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., acknowledged it would be a challenge to meet Obama's timeline.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2009 10:26 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
07-15-2009 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: Senate Panel Passes Health Bill, as CBO Predicts Cost Explosion in House Version
Quote:Individuals and employers would have new obligations to get coverage, or face hefty penalties.

This is ******* bull ****!!!!!

My wife owns a business in the new home construction industry, needless to say she's hurting. She's laid off a lot of people, including her own sister. With this stupid health plan she'll only have 4 options:

1. lay off more people to offset the cost
2. reduce pay to offset the cost
3. fire everyone and hire illegals
4. shut down because the business is losing money and at that point my wife and I will lose our house.

Why are you ******* liberals forcing healthy 20 year old men to have health insurance? Why not make employers pay for their car and home insurance? Why not make employers pay for nice green salads and fruit so the employees can eat better?

Wake up you ******* brain dead liberal mental cripples. You're killing business and with it the country!!!

I swear to god, if I see a ******* liberal today I'm going to kick him in the nuts.
07-15-2009 12:46 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Senate Panel Passes Health Bill, as CBO Predicts Cost Explosion in House Version
(07-15-2009 12:46 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
Quote:Individuals and employers would have new obligations to get coverage, or face hefty penalties.

Why not make employers pay for their car and home insurance? Why not make employers pay for nice green salads and fruit so the employees can eat better?

Shhhh!!!! Don't give them any new ideas. The ones they have now are bad enough.
07-15-2009 01:07 PM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

This is ONLY a Committee Approval and NOTHING MORE.

Fret Not boys and girls, it still has to be written up correctly, sent to BOTH Houses of Congress, and Voted On.

All this is, is a Play to Bolster Liberals to stay on the Bandwagon even when the Band Sounds Like Sh't.

Even with that "Dropped on his Head Idiot Franken" in the mix, this thing is not going to pass.

Libs are running for cover right now as 'Old Boys' Approval Numbers are Steadily Dropping ... No one is tying their Chariot to Obama's Falling Star right now as 2010 Looms Over Them.

This is why Pelosi and the Retard Gang are pushing this Pep Rally so hard and fast before the Summer End Game - - they see their Side of Things getting worse as Time Ticks On.

Liberal Lifers are in "Save My Ass Mode" looking to 2010 Elections and are going to be super cautious from here on out. If not, they get kicked out.

And you can argue all day long that Obama's "Popularity Rating is Still High", but people still like Alec Baldwin after he Pissed on his Daughter and called her all sorts of nasty names, they hate WHAT he did, they just STILL like him as an Actor (why I don't know, but ..) - - all this MUST meet in the middle soon and there in lies the Implosion - - just asked Bill Clinton about it.

07-15-2009 01:26 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

It should never make it out of committee. Especially since the CBO has dire predictions about it's enormous cost. What they should be doing is making law to prevent any bill's adoption without a means of paying for it.
07-15-2009 02:50 PM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(07-15-2009 01:26 PM)Tripster Wrote:  .

Fret Not boys and girls, it still has to be written up correctly, sent to BOTH Houses of Congress, and Voted On.

All this is, is a Play to Bolster Liberals to stay on the Bandwagon even when the Band Sounds Like Sh't.

Even with that "Dropped on his Head Idiot Franken" in the mix, this thing is not going to pass.

Libs are running for cover right now as 'Old Boys' Approval Numbers are Steadily Dropping ... No one is tying their Chariot to Obama's Falling Star right now as 2010 Looms Over Them.

This is why Pelosi and the Retard Gang are pushing this Pep Rally so hard and fast before the Summer End Game - - they see their Side of Things getting worse as Time Ticks On.

Liberal Lifers are in "Save My Ass Mode" looking to 2010 Elections and are going to be super cautious from here on out. If not, they get kicked out.

And you can argue all day long that Obama's "Popularity Rating is Still High", but people still like Alec Baldwin after he Pissed on his Daughter and called her all sorts of nasty names, they hate WHAT he did, they just STILL like him as an Actor (why I don't know, but ..) - - all this MUST meet in the middle soon and there in lies the Implosion - - just asked Bill Clinton about it.

That's what they about McCain-Feingold. It'll never pass. It did. Bush won't sign it. He did. The Supreme Court will knock it down. It didn't. And now we are stuck with it. And this health care thing is 10 times worse. Excuse me for being pessimistic.
07-15-2009 04:15 PM
Tripster Offline

(07-15-2009 04:15 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  
(07-15-2009 01:26 PM)Tripster Wrote:  .

That's what they about McCain-Feingold. It'll never pass. It did. Bush won't sign it. He did. The Supreme Court will knock it down. It didn't. And now we are stuck with it. And this health care thing is 10 times worse. Excuse me for being pessimistic.

Yeah but that Bill was not something added to an Already $1.8 Trillion Dollar debacle and a Debt that no one can even calculate.

If this passes and we go to a VA like Health Care System and people's Children and Mothers start dying of Timely Treatable Disease, there aren't enough Troops around Washington to stop the onslaught that will Storm the White House going after this TOTUS.

People will definitely draw the line when Close, Loved, and Very Treatable Family Members start dying from lack of medical care and not being given about damn by their "Movie Star TOTUS".

And then these Idiots will want 50% and more of your Income to Pay For It !!!!!!! There are gonna be some mad MOFO's out there homies.

This is just pure Non-Blue Dog Madness and I mean REAL Insanity that won't be accepted by most Americans once they get a Taste of It in Action.

07-15-2009 11:42 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
It appears that when Obama says, "you can keep your current coverage," he means that you can keep exactly the current coverage, but not shop around the private sector for alternatives. What a dishonest and disingenuous way to go about things. Comments?

It's Not An Option

By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:20 PM PT

Congress: It didn't take long to run into an "uh-oh" moment when reading the House's "health care for all Americans" bill. Right there on Page 16 is a provision making individual private medical insurance illegal.

IBD Exclusive Series: Government-Run Healthcare: A Prescription For Failure

When we first saw the paragraph Tuesday, just after the 1,018-page document was released, we thought we surely must be misreading it. So we sought help from the House Ways and Means Committee.

It turns out we were right: The provision would indeed outlaw individual private coverage. Under the Orwellian header of "Protecting The Choice To Keep Current Coverage," the "Limitation On New Enrollment" section of the bill clearly states:

"Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day" of the year the legislation becomes law.

So we can all keep our coverage, just as promised — with, of course, exceptions: Those who currently have private individual coverage won't be able to change it. Nor will those who leave a company to work for themselves be free to buy individual plans from private carriers.

From the beginning, opponents of the public option plan have warned that if the government gets into the business of offering subsidized health insurance coverage, the private insurance market will wither. Drawn by a public option that will be 30% to 40% cheaper than their current premiums because taxpayers will be funding it, employers will gladly scrap their private plans and go with Washington's coverage.

The nonpartisan Lewin Group estimated in April that 120 million or more Americans could lose their group coverage at work and end up in such a program. That would leave private carriers with 50 million or fewer customers. This could cause the market to, as Lewin Vice President John Sheils put it, "fizzle out altogether."

What wasn't known until now is that the bill itself will kill the market for private individual coverage by not letting any new policies be written after the public option becomes law.

The legislation is also likely to finish off health savings accounts, a goal that Democrats have had for years. They want to crush that alternative because nothing gives individuals more control over their medical care, and the government less, than HSAs.

With HSAs out of the way, a key obstacle to the left's expansion of the welfare state will be removed.

The public option won't be an option for many, but rather a mandate for buying government care. A free people should be outraged at this advance of soft tyranny.

Washington does not have the constitutional or moral authority to outlaw private markets in which parties voluntarily participate. It shouldn't be killing business opportunities, or limiting choices, or legislating major changes in Americans' lives.

It took just 16 pages of reading to find this naked attempt by the political powers to increase their reach. It's scary to think how many more breaches of liberty we'll come across in the final 1,002.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2009 06:10 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-16-2009 06:07 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Obama?? disingenuous?? NO WAY!!!!!
07-16-2009 02:39 PM
Advertisement

Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
apparently there is a section that imposes a $750 annual fine on folks that don't have health insurance. Fine away. I ain't payin.
07-16-2009 02:44 PM
SigEpMike Offline
Devil's Advocate

I Root For: Memphis
CrappiesMemphis Hall of FameMemphis Hall of Fame
(07-16-2009 02:44 PM)Tulsaman Wrote:  apparently there is a section that imposes a $750 annual fine on folks that don't have health insurance. Fine away. I ain't payin.

Looks to me like the fine is 2.5% of your pay...not $750.

My personal favorites so far are (1) the elimination of the private, individual healthcare industry mentioned above and (2) the ridiculous tax credit in the bill. The credit sounds good until you read the bill. The bill has a 50% credit for small employers who provide insurance. However, the 50% goes down if your average payroll is above $20,000 and you get no credit for folks who make $80,000+. $20,000 isn't much above minimum wage!
07-16-2009 03:02 PM
Tripster Offline

(07-16-2009 02:44 PM)Tulsaman Wrote:  apparently there is a section that imposes a $750 annual fine on folks that don't have health insurance. Fine away. I ain't payin.

You know, there are really no words in any language that describes how Harsh, Communistic, Dictatorial, Tyrannical, Illegal, Unconstitutional, and just plain lame and ignorant this mess truly is.

I mean this is the "Shiria Law" of Forced Nationalized Health Care and people better start Reading, Seeing with Eyes Wide Open, and Understanding to a Mathematical Certainty EXACTLY what this Administration and this Congress is about to Try & Attempt to do to us.

You guess that this sort of thing is why they have built all those "Prison Camps", too Intern the Uninsured so they don't make the "Healthy Sick" ???

I wonder if they have Big Ass Ovens at any of these Prison Camps .... and YES, they are there .... this one is no Tin Foil Conspiracy Theory and they are NOT there to house Al Qaeda or any other Captured Terrorist other than Law Abiding American Citizens.

"The Revolution is THIS WAY ------->"

07-16-2009 03:12 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
What's truly amazing is comparing this to Hillary-care (which was a much more reasonable approach than this, actually pretty similar to the French IIRC). That toppled the democrats in congress, but so far this is not seeming to provoke the same kind of outrage.

Maybe I've just been out of the country for a month and haven't been plugged in, but it sure doesn't seem to me like we are getting anything like the level of opposition that Hillary-care generated.
07-16-2009 03:18 PM
Advertisement

Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
(07-16-2009 03:02 PM)SigEpMike Wrote:  

My personal favorites so far are (1) the elimination of the private, individual healthcare industry mentioned above and (2) the ridiculous tax credit in the bill. The credit sounds good until you read the bill. The bill has a 50% credit for small employers who provide insurance. However, the 50% goes down if your average payroll is above $20,000 and you get no credit for folks who make $80,000+. $20,000 isn't much above minimum wage!

my mistake. read it wrong.
07-16-2009 03:42 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-16-2009 03:02 PM)SigEpMike Wrote:  

Shucks, they lied to us again.
07-16-2009 03:45 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Well, if they're gonna tell us what kind of health insurance to have how long do you think it will take them to tell us we can't do unhealthy things? Say good bye to booze, smokes, fast women, etc.
07-16-2009 04:08 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

The American people are not going to take this health care fisco seriously untill there is a line that says all Federal employees including Senators, Congressman and Presidents will transition to this new healthcare system. Or all Americans will transition to the Senators, Congressman and President's healthcare system.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2009 04:20 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
07-16-2009 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.