I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
More bailout money to be wasted
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124753606193236373.html

Quote:Obama Plans Community-College Initiative

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ree-worth/
Quote:The Education Bubble
Mark C. Taylor, the chairman of the religion department at Columbia University,

The next bubble to burst will be the education bubble. Make no mistake about it, education is big business and, like other big businesses, it is in big trouble. What people outside the education bubble don’t realize and people inside won’t admit is that many colleges and universities are in the same position that major banks and financial institutions are: their assets (endowments down 30-40 percent this year) are plummeting, their liabilities (debts) are growing, most of their costs are fixed and rising, and their income (return on investments, support from government and private donations, etc.) is falling.

But don't forget, educators, and that includes profs at comm colleges, largely support Dems. Gotta give the paybacks.
07-14-2009 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: More bailout money to be wasted
(07-14-2009 03:34 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124753606193236373.html

Quote:Obama Plans Community-College Initiative

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ree-worth/
Quote:The Education Bubble
Mark C. Taylor, the chairman of the religion department at Columbia University,

The next bubble to burst will be the education bubble. Make no mistake about it, education is big business and, like other big businesses, it is in big trouble. What people outside the education bubble don’t realize and people inside won’t admit is that many colleges and universities are in the same position that major banks and financial institutions are: their assets (endowments down 30-40 percent this year) are plummeting, their liabilities (debts) are growing, most of their costs are fixed and rising, and their income (return on investments, support from government and private donations, etc.) is falling.

But don't forget, educators, and that includes profs at comm colleges, largely support Dems. Gotta give the paybacks.

Community College. The high school of the 21st century.
07-14-2009 03:54 PM
egoboss407 Offline
Banned

I Root For: free speech
Colleges have been raising tuition for decades knowing that students will just take out more loans. There is no such thing as working your way through school anymore.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2009 04:32 PM by egoboss407.)
07-14-2009 04:01 PM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
the cost of Education has grown more than Energy Cost if you go back to the 1970's and chart it adjusted for inflation.

Definitely a bubble

http://www.inflationdata.com/inflation/I...lation.asp
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2009 04:11 PM by GGniner.)
07-14-2009 04:09 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
This is not bailout money being wasted.
This is bailout money being put to a very useful purpose--buying votes.
07-14-2009 04:14 PM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
another chart for the day

[Image: education.jpg]
07-14-2009 05:55 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(07-14-2009 04:01 PM)egoboss407 Wrote:  Colleges have been raising tuition for decades knowing that students will just take out more loans. There is no such thing as working your way through school anymore.

bull****. Augusta State University's is about 1500 bucks a semester and you can get a degree in anything you choose. When I went there they had the highest percentage of professors with terminal degrees in the state. If someone can't work off 1500 bucks in a semester, they're doing something wrong. I had the GI bill. My wife paid her way through and graduated with a B.S. in Biology owing nothing.
07-14-2009 06:38 PM
Quote this message in a reply
egoboss407 Offline
Banned

(07-14-2009 06:38 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(07-14-2009 04:01 PM)egoboss407 Wrote:  Colleges have been raising tuition for decades knowing that students will just take out more loans. There is no such thing as working your way through school anymore.

bull****. Augusta State University's is about 1500 bucks a semester and you can get a degree in anything you choose. When I went there they had the highest percentage of professors with terminal degrees in the state. If someone can't work off 1500 bucks in a semester, they're doing something wrong. I had the GI bill. My wife paid her way through and graduated with a B.S. in Biology owing nothing.

I have lots of friends who went to small Georgia schools (in fact I went to a small GA school). Unless they are teaching, in the military or went on to get graduate degrees from larger schools they have sh*t jobs. Home depot, Foot locker, Enterprise, doing hair to name a few. I'm assuming the $1500/ semester (it was quarters when I was in school) is living at home with ma and pa? Working 20-25 hrs/week @ $7/hr x 15 weeks a semester minus Uncle Barack's part. You got just enough for tuition and few books, but the parents still have to help with room, board, and gas. In your wife's case with a BS in Biology (I have one myself) she had to put in extra lab hours that most people don't have to do which takes away from work.
07-14-2009 07:01 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
She worked as a trainer at Winn Dixie. ...but let's get to the crux of the matter, why in the hell SHOULD college be cheap? You get what you pay for. Why should someone not have to take out a loan to increase their future worth? Should anything cost money or be hard to you libs? Everyone gets an education. That's established. It's called grade school. College, you should have to take the onus upon yourself. Not everyone is cut out for college nor should they be. We need people to dig ditches, ride on the backs of garbage trucks, landscape, work in convenience stores, et cetera. If they don't want to do that, they can get a loan, a grant, a scholarship, their parents, work their way through school, or join the military and get the GI bill. There is NO F'N REASON someone can't obtain a college education these days. None, nada, f'n zilch.
07-14-2009 07:09 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

(07-14-2009 04:14 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  This is not bailout money being wasted.
This is bailout money being put to a very useful purpose--buying votes.

I humbly stand corrected.
07-14-2009 07:31 PM
DrTorch Offline

(07-14-2009 05:55 PM)GGniner Wrote:  another chart for the day

[Image: education.jpg]

I wonder why it starts at 1985. Tuition had been outpacing inflation for years even at that point. I'd much rather see 1946.
07-14-2009 07:32 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest

I agree...There are some affordable schools around...just not many that kids are attracted to. If I had to do it over...I would have just went to a trade school for some skilled trade....plumbing,electrician,HVAC..ect. You will never be poor with these skills as long as you are not a lazy ass.
07-14-2009 07:36 PM
DrTorch Offline

(07-14-2009 07:36 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

I agree...There are some affordable schools around...just not many that kids are attracted to. If I had to do it over...I would have just went to a trade school for some skilled trade....plumbing,electrician,HVAC..ect. You will never be poor with these skills as long as you are not a lazy ass.

http://www.321gold.com/editorials/goodso...60304.html

I agree w/ this guy that people were sold a bill of goods on the "need" for a college degree. Heck, who doesn't want a reliable auto mechanic!?

I work w/ a variety of people who didn't get their degrees. I had a boss a few years ago leading a team of PhDs while he never completed his BS.

What's bad about this con, is that it is somewhat self-perpetuating. It's tough to get in the door w/o a degree when the HR and lower Mgmt all bought into the myth of the need for a degree, and can't accept the fact that they don't know how to learn outside of a formal classroom, and can't believe that others can.
07-14-2009 07:54 PM
Advertisement

egoboss407 Offline
Banned

(07-14-2009 07:09 PM)Rebel Wrote:  She worked as a trainer at Winn Dixie. ...but let's get to the crux of the matter, why in the hell SHOULD college be cheap? You get what you pay for. Why should someone not have to take out a loan to increase their future worth? Should anything cost money or be hard to you libs? Everyone gets an education. That's established. It's called grade school. College, you should have to take the onus upon yourself. Not everyone is cut out for college nor should they be. We need people to dig ditches, ride on the backs of garbage trucks, landscape, work in convenience stores, et cetera. If they don't want to do that, they can get a loan, a grant, a scholarship, their parents, work their way through school, or join the military and get the GI bill. There is NO F'N REASON someone can't obtain a college education these days. None, nada, f'n zilch.

I don't disagree with anything that you said. I just don't like how the schools raise tuition (especially mid-year after you've been approve for student aid) because they know you can get a loan to pay for it. The argument is can the loans be paid back? I have 6-figures in student loans from going to school for 11 years (3 degrees). I make enough to pay back my loans. My concern is the cost of a 4 year degree and can you make enough money to pay said degree off.
07-14-2009 08:09 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(07-14-2009 07:54 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I agree w/ this guy that people were sold a bill of goods on the "need" for a college degree. Heck, who doesn't want a reliable auto mechanic!?

I work w/ a variety of people who didn't get their degrees. I had a boss a few years ago leading a team of PhDs while he never completed his BS.

What's bad about this con, is that it is somewhat self-perpetuating. It's tough to get in the door w/o a degree when the HR and lower Mgmt all bought into the myth of the need for a degree, and can't accept the fact that they don't know how to learn outside of a formal classroom, and can't believe that others can.

The only multi-millionaire in my wife's family short-extended family, I.e. 1st uncles/aunts, etc., has no degree. He worked part time while in High School in Thomson, Ga. and saved enough money to buy a car. He bought a sewage pump truck. He drove this damn thing to school every day, no doubt being laughed at, and worked for himself after school was out. IIRC, he started this in the 11th grade. He grew up dirt poor, yes, I mean dirt floors in a shack outside of Thomson. When he had the money to buy his first car, he bought a Corvette. IIRC again, I think he was about 22. He met my wife's aunt. Since then, he still has his septic business, doing a lot of the work himself, but also has the equipment to dig wells, holes for new septic systems, etc., and has gotten into property speculation. This guy couldn't discern between an integer and the Pythagorean theory, but business sense, he learned from the ropes. He's now worth probably 20 million dollars. No degree, no business school, just a grade-school education and trial by error. I'd give his name but I don't want some of these stalkers calling him. I'll give people I "trust" the name through PM.
07-14-2009 08:48 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(07-14-2009 08:48 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(07-14-2009 07:54 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I agree w/ this guy that people were sold a bill of goods on the "need" for a college degree. Heck, who doesn't want a reliable auto mechanic!?

The only multi-millionaire in my wife's family short-extended family, I.e. 1st uncles/aunts, etc., has no degree. He worked part time while in High School in Thomson, Ga. and saved enough money to buy a car. He bought a sewage pump truck. He drove this damn thing to school every day, no doubt being laughed at, and worked for himself after school was out. IIRC, he started this in the 11th grade. He grew up dirt poor, yes, I mean dirt floors in a shack outside of Thomson. When he had the money to buy his first car, he bought a Corvette. IIRC again, I think he was about 22. He met my wife's aunt. Since then, he still has his septic business, doing a lot of the work himself, but also has the equipment to dig wells, holes for new septic systems, etc., and has gotten into property speculation. This guy couldn't discern between an integer and the Pythagorean theory, but business sense, he learned from the ropes. He's now worth probably 20 million dollars. No degree, no business school, just a grade-school education and trial by error. I'd give his name but I don't want some of these stalkers calling him. I'll give people I "trust" the name through PM.

Find me an electrician that is not doing well and I'll show you one lazy mofo.03-lmfao
07-14-2009 09:26 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(07-14-2009 09:26 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Find me an electrician that is not doing well and I'll show you one lazy mofo.03-lmfao

Word.
07-14-2009 09:29 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

Well when you have to pay fantastic Professors Like "Ward Churchill" to disrespect the Dead of 9/11 and also the Survivors, these HUGE and DESERVING Salaries to poison minds, then sure, the cost of Education is going to skyrocket.

When you hire these "Boutique Professors" that are basically Full Blooded Communist to teach your Children, you have to pay large for that privilege boy !!!!

07-14-2009 10:51 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
There's a moonbat, who's a GERMAN immigrant, BTW, at Augusta State that railed against the United States for retaliating against the Taliban. He was pissed that we bombed Afghanistan. His "point" was that if we bombed them, they'd bomb us back. Warped logic. He's got it. He's a ******* moonbat and, as someone who was a soldier, I steered away from that skinnyass hippy mofo like I was avoiding the plague. I was afraid we'd get into a physical confrontation. .....and I'd wind up breaking his ass in two.
07-14-2009 11:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.