Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GS sucker-punched by RollingStone
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
GS sucker-punched by RollingStone
Good takedown of Talibi and Rolling Stone's hitpiece on Goldman Sachs

http://www.redcounty.com/goldman-sachs-s...axonomy=26

Quote:Good writers have a huge advantage in the task of persuasion over mediocre or poor ones. The famous music magazine, Rolling Stone, tasked a gifted writer, Matt Taibbi, with writing an expose on the Wall Street behemoth, Goldman Sachs. Somehow, Mr. Taibbi’s impressive writing skills proved quite inadequate in his recent effort to demonize the famed investment bank, for sometimes, even good writing can not cover up complete ignorance, or an utter disregard for the facts. My recommendation is that Rolling Stone stick to reviewing the next Kanye West album, for surely financial journalism is not their cup-of-tea.

And sadly for Taibbi, the answer to that question is that it is the entire article that warrants further investigation. The article relies on unsubstantiated insinuations, guilt-by-association inferences, factual inaccuracies from start to finish, and most importantly, a rank hatred of successful elites that permeates all the way through. I appreciate the fact that it is easy to de-personalize our opponents, and blame an entity rather than human beings for things we are upset about. Goldman is an easy target, because as he so capably demonstrates, they are a company of rich people, and frankly, they are a lot richer than us. Taibbi and his sympathetic readers have a deep resentment of all parts of the establishment that have achieved more success than they. Surely, the thinking goes, they must have cheated their way to the top. My beliefs about human nature tell me that Goldman Sachs is probably inundated with bad people (past and present). Bad people seem to permeate all societal institutions (the government comes to mind as well). I am not writing this article to defend everything Goldman does, or has done. I work for a major competitor of Goldman Sachs, and have no reason whatsoever to defend them. I would be happy to write a lengthy demonization of the role Wall Street firms played in this unprecedented catastrophe. But if I were to do such, I would focus on facts, and not rhetoric. I would point out the extraordinary blame that can be easily shared with multiple parties to these transactions. I would focus on reality, and not the image I am able to conjure up for an envious audience that wants blood. In short, I would do it all very differently than Matt Taibbi and Rolling Stone did.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 11:17 AM by GGniner.)
07-07-2009 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: GS sucker-punched by RollingStone
I've never been able to stomach Taibbi myself.
07-07-2009 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.