Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Saudis give nod to Israeli air attack on Iran
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Saudis give nod to Israeli air attack on Iran
Hmm.. this is kinda difficult to accept, but they did it in 1981 on the raid into Iraq.

The head of Mossad, Israel’s overseas intelligence service, has assured Benjamin Netanyahu, its prime minister, that Saudi Arabia would turn a blind eye to Israeli jets flying over the kingdom during any future raid on Iran’s nuclear sites.

Earlier this year Meir Dagan, Mossad’s director since 2002, held secret talks with Saudi officials to discuss the possibility.

The Israeli press has already carried unconfirmed reports that high-ranking officials, including Ehud Olmert, the former prime minister, held meetings with Saudi colleagues. The reports were denied by Saudi officials.

“The Saudis have tacitly agreed to the Israeli air force flying through their airspace on a mission which is supposed to be in the common interests of both Israel and Saudi Arabia,” a diplomatic source said last week.

Although the countries have no formal diplomatic relations, an Israeli defence source confirmed that Mossad maintained “working relations” with the Saudis.

John Bolton, the former US ambassador to the United Nations who recently visited the Gulf, said it was “entirely logical” for the Israelis to use Saudi airspace.

Bolton, who has talked to several Arab leaders, added: “None of them would say anything about it publicly but they would certainly acquiesce in an overflight if the Israelis didn’t trumpet it as a big success.”

Arab states would condemn a raid when they spoke at the UN but would be privately relieved to see the threat of an Iranian bomb removed, he said.

Referring to the Israeli attack on an alleged Syrian nuclear facility in 2007, Bolton added: “To this day, the Israelis haven’t admitted the specifics but there’s one less nuclear facility in Syria . . .”

Recent developments have underscored concerns among moderate Sunni Arab states about the stability of the repressive Shi’ite regime in Tehran and have increased fears that it may emerge as a belligerent nuclear power.

“The Saudis are very concerned about an Iranian nuclear bomb, even more than the Israelis,” said a former head of research in Israeli intelligence.

The Israeli air force has been training for a possible attack on Iran’s nuclear site at Natanz in the centre of the country and other locations for four years.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/wo...638568.ece
07-05-2009 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
RE: Saudis give nod to Israeli air attack on Iran
Who are Saudi Arabia's friends, and who are their enemies? Thats a tough nut to crack. Being the home of Mecca, I'd have thought they were feeling pretty safe.
07-05-2009 02:39 PM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

All I can say is, "GO SUNNI'S" !!!!!

07-05-2009 02:44 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
My sources have been telling me that this was a done deal since at least last November.

Also, my sources tell me that the Saudis did a lot more than just turn a blind eye to the raid against Iraq's nuclear facility, and for that matter the raid to free the people held in Entebbe. And I can pretty much corroborate both of those from separately obtained information.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 08:30 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-07-2009 08:27 AM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-05-2009 02:39 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Who are Saudi Arabia's friends, and who are their enemies? Thats a tough nut to crack. Being the home of Mecca, I'd have thought they were feeling pretty safe.

if we could get Iran to reform(i.e. the Mullah's fall, some form of pro-west regime emerge) we could then start to turn on Saudi Arabia and find out.
07-07-2009 08:32 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Saudi Arabia may be the best example of realpolitik in the world. They are 100% focused on

What is best for the ruling family
(no Iraqi NBC, no Iranian NBC, via back channels don't piss off Israel to much, ensure the flow of oil to the world, let radical members of the Royal Family work with Al-Queda so those radical members won't overthrow the monarchy, then the monarchy kills the radicals and arrests Al-Queda when it gets too hot, etc etc etc....)

And what is best for Saudi Arabia
(Guardians of Mecca and Media, fund intl Hajj, maintain public face of Jew hatred, those crazy ass Vice Squads, etc etc etc......)

Saudi Arabia may be the ultimate foreign policy cool customer. SA is a constant source of maddening and fascination.
07-07-2009 10:38 AM
Tripster Offline

(07-07-2009 10:38 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Saudi Arabia may be the best example of realpolitik in the world. They are 100% focused on

(no Iraqi NBC, no Iranian NBC, via back channels don't piss off Israel to much, ensure the flow of oil to the world, let radical members of the Royal Family work with Al-Queda so those radical members won't overthrow the monarchy, then the monarchy kills the radicals and arrests Al-Queda when it gets too hot, etc etc etc....)

(Guardians of Mecca and Media, fund intl Hajj, maintain public face of Jew hatred, those crazy ass Vice Squads, etc etc etc......)

Saudi Arabia may be the ultimate foreign policy cool customer. SA is a constant source of maddening and fascination.

You have just Solved My Enigma conundrum regarding Saudi Arabia ....

Spot on ... 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock

07-07-2009 11:10 AM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(07-07-2009 10:38 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Saudi Arabia may be the best example of realpolitik in the world. They are 100% focused on

My problem with the Saudis is that the play both ends of the stick against the middle.

They fund and cheer on Al Qaeda while at the same time want the US to protect their ass from the Iranians. When we get hit by a terrorist attack they just act like they have no idea what is going on.
07-07-2009 12:49 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
The Saudis and their Wahhabi ways are and have been the largest trainer and exporter of Terrorism. Their bait and switch policies should fool nobody. They encourage war against Iran/Iraq or whoever can or could threaten them and their Oil. A deflated Iran helps them, same for Iraq.
07-07-2009 05:13 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I was in a student dorm today at UC Riverside to help one of my guys who had a problem with a student's laptop computer. This kid was from Iran and seemed OK. He said Iran was going down the shitter due to the strict and conservative clerics and that younger kids want to be more like the west. This is the second Iranian I spoke to about their homeland and they both said the same thing.

Anyway, I had to get into the wireless router and when I asked him what phrase he used to generate his WEP key he said it was Zionkiller and he said it like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Change over there is going to take a long time.
07-07-2009 09:53 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline

"ZionKiller" huh ???

You sure that wasn't Robert's lappy you were working on there Steve ???

Yeah, it is an ingrained hatred that is taught and has been taught all these kids lives.

Change will happen if they get rid of the Trash over there though and a new Generation can teach a new way.

07-07-2009 10:05 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

You should have changed it for him to "muzzieasshole"
07-08-2009 01:41 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(07-08-2009 01:41 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  You should have changed it for him to "muzzieasshole"
Yours is "redneckasshole".
07-08-2009 02:11 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(07-07-2009 08:27 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  My sources have been telling me that this was a done deal since at least last November.

Also, my sources tell me that the Saudis did a lot more than just turn a blind eye to the raid against Iraq's nuclear facility, and for that matter the raid to free the people held in Entebbe. And I can pretty much corroborate both of those from separately obtained information.

Did you see that the Egyptians opened up the Suez Canal for Israeli Dolphins? Along with Biden's comments, there's a lot of cage rattling going on.
07-08-2009 05:15 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(07-08-2009 05:15 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(07-07-2009 08:27 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  My sources have been telling me that this was a done deal since at least last November.

Did you see that the Egyptians opened up the Suez Canal for Israeli Dolphins? Along with Biden's comments, there's a lot of cage rattling going on.

That's just a "public announcement" for PR purposes. The Dolphins have been "quietly" using Djibouti in the Red Sea as a logistics base for the past year or so. That doubles their on-station time in the Arabian Sea.
07-08-2009 08:57 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Israel: 'Makes No Sense' to Ask Obama for Help With Iran Strike

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:21 AM

By: Eli Lake, The Washington Times
One senior Israeli official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, told The Washington Times that Mr. Netanyahu determined that "it made no sense" to press the matter after the negative response President Bush gave Mr. Netanyahu's predecessor, Ehud Olmert, when he asked early last year for U.S. aid for possible military strikes on Iran.

Israel is increasingly nervous that Iran is developing the capability to build a nuclear weapon, an intention Iran denies. However, Israel is unlikely to attack Iran without at least tacit U.S. approval, in part because that would require cooperation from the United States. At the very least, Israel likely would have to fly over Iraqi airspace, which is still effectively controlled by the U.S. Air Force.

Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. refused during a television appearance Sunday to say whether the U.S. would give Israel overflight rights for such an attack, but said it was Israel's "sovereign right" to attack Iran if it considers the Iranian nuclear program an existential threat.

"There is no pressure from any nation that's going to alter our behavior as to how to proceed," he told ABC's "This Week."

Mr. Biden said the U.S. was pursuing a diplomatic route, but, "If the Netanyahu government decides to take a course of action different than the one being pursued now, that is their sovereign right to do that. That is not our choice."

Despite the political upheaval in Iran since the disputed June 12 presidential elections there, the Obama administration says it is still seeking negotiations with Iran on the nuclear issue. In early May, as The Times reported last month, the White House sent a letter to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, asking for talks and improved relations.

White House officials have declined to confirm or deny the existence of the letter, and they also declined to comment on the substance of discussions between U.S. and Israeli officials on Iran.

A senior Israeli official said that Israel has not asked for U.S. aid or permission because the Netanyahu government doesn't want to risk being told "no."

"There was a decision not to press this because it was probably inadequate for the engagement policy and what we know about Obama's approach to Iran," he said.

Mr. Netanyahu's private diplomatic posture differs from his public stance during his campaign. He ran for office earlier this year on a promise to do whatever was necessary to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. In March, Mr. Netanyahu told the Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg that stopping Iran from gaining nuclear weapons was one of two great challenges facing the Obama presidency. He also implied in the interview that Israel would act if the United States did not.

Kenneth Pollack, acting director for the Saban Center for Middle East policy at the Brookings Institution, said "the Israelis have made it clear that they are going to allow this diplomatic process to work out, and even if they conclude that it has failed, they don't want to attack Iran. But the problem is they may feel they have no other choice but to do so."

Mr. Pollack added that "Israel has a real problem with the distance from Israeli air bases to Iranian targets. And the shortest route from Israel to Iran is over Jordan and Iraq. And the United States is responsible for Iraqi airspace."

David Sanger of the New York Times reported in January that Israel asked the Bush administration for overflight rights and other technical assistance for a possible bombing campaign against Iran but was rebuffed. Instead, Mr. Sanger reported, the Bush administration stepped up clandestine operations aimed at disrupting Iran's nuclear program and other scientific infrastructure.

Thus far, the Israelis have opted to hew closely to President Obama's line on Iran.

Last week, Israel's national security adviser, Uzi Arad, met with his American counterparts in a meeting of a special working group on Iran. The Washington Times first reported the formation of such a working group in May when Mr. Netanyahu met with Mr. Obama at the White House.

Iran has not responded to U.S. overtures for talks, and the Obama administration has offered few specifics about the consequences to Iran if the U.S. offer is spurned.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has said there would be "crippling sanctions" but has offered no details. Mr. Obama told Mr. Netanyahu that he would assess the diplomatic-engagement strategy at the end of the calendar year. Reports in the Israeli press over the weekend predicted that the White House will not press for new international sanctions this week at a meeting in Italy of the Group of Eight industrialized nations.

David Makovsky, a senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said that "while Israel is the only country existentially threatened by Iran, it understands that American interests are impacted. As such, I don't think Israel would attack Iran out of the blue."

Mr. Makovsky is the co-author of "Myths, Illusions and Peace," with Dennis Ross, now a senior U.S. policymaker on Iran and the broader Middle East at the White House National Security Council.

Danielle Pletka, vice president for foreign and defense policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute, said that if Israel were to give the United States advance notice of its intention to strike Iran, it would be risking a "red light."

"That could force the president to choose Israel's security over his desired rapprochement with Iran. An ugly and dangerous outcome for all concerned," she said.

Iran's nuclear program is dispersed, and parts of it may be hidden, making it difficult for Israel or the United States to destroy all the installations. In addition, a strike could provoke Iranian retaliation against both Israeli and U.S. targets, including U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Iran might also attack Arab oil installations or U.S. ships in the Persian Gulf.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation" that a U.S. strike on Iran would be "very destabilizing," as would a nuclear Iran.
07-08-2009 11:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.