Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Guess the impact FB newcomers this year
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Guess the impact FB newcomers this year
top 6 or 7 players likely to play as newcomers and make a contribution.

My top 6:

1). Delano Johnson, DL (JUCO)

2). Ryan Leonard, DL (JUCO)

3). Stephan Sewell (underrated DL/LB h.s. prep school kid)

4). Nate Paopao LB (JUCO needs to play early)

5). Kinsmen Thomas (WR got a hunch this kid could be good)

6). Willie Hickman (DB - some Florida kids can play from day one).

Interesting 5 of my top 6 are defensive players. If the JUCOs don't contribute from the get go we are hurting.

If I needed to add another offensive player it would be Artie Tanguma, the TE from Texas.

I see most offensive players being redshirted.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2009 06:38 AM by emu steve.)
07-04-2009 06:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Guess the impact FB newcomers this year
The JUCO's should join the mix right away but they had better show up ready for action. I've got a feeling that the returning players are not going to just roll over and let them have the positions uncontested.
07-06-2009 12:29 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Agree, Wooden, there were several members of the DL that were inexperienced last year and with a year of experience and more weight training ie Ohrman the competition should be interesting.

I think there is alot of depth at TE so I would expect the Texas TE to redshirt.

English's comments almost gave the new JUCO LB Holtzclaw's old spot. I expect competition there to be intense as well.

A name not mentioned is Lewis a JUCO db given our injuries in this area he may see action and suprise a few people.

Regardless of whether they start or don't start there will be good depth at some of the defensive positions.
07-06-2009 01:15 PM
EagleAttack Offline
Special Teams

I'm not getting the feeling that #2 on your list is going to leap frog the current starters, but might help to provide some more depth. At first glace he appears 5'11" ish, and maybe 270 lbs. The currrent inside group (D tackles) of Orhman, Palsrok, Slater, and Kuhlman will be a tough nut to crack in the one and two deeps. This group....all originally from the class of 07 has gained size, strength, speed, and most importantly experience over the past year. As far has the current two deeps, Kuhlman is really just coming into form after a serious knee injury in the Ohio All Star game two summers ago. He has looked very good as of late. Slater is an outstanding athlete that needs to prove to the current staff that he has the work ethic and toughness...this is a 6'3", 275 lb athlete that can do a back flip from a standing jump and has been clocked in college in the 4.7's!

I look for #1 on your list to have more impact on the DL (from the DE position), especially now that Orhman has moved inside. Shifting Orhman told me that they have very high hopes for this particular transfer. He would be #2 on my list.

#1 on my list would be Pao Pao. I understand he has already climbed very, very high on the depth chart. I think he has a chance to be the starting middle linebacker this coming season. His rapid assimilation may be a real key to our D's success, and his stint will hopefully be a bridge to Moffet, who from a talent standpoint, could turn out to be a top MAC linebacker in a few years.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2009 01:59 PM by EagleAttack.)
07-06-2009 01:55 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Excellent analysis, E'Attack.

I know that my #1 is going to play outside, but didn't really do a critical analysis of #2's competition at the DT spot.

Actually my #2 would be an idea nose tackle in a 3 - 4.

Looks like there will be a lot more depth at the DT position then in the past and that is a good thing. 03-cloud9

Looks like maybe Johnson at DE and Pao Pao at MLB?

Also, my gut is that English might have done very well with some of his h.s. kids who I think are better then many believe. We'll just have to wait until the voluntary works and August 9 to see if I'm on to something or just taking a stab in the dark.

August 9 please come soon. 04-cheers
07-06-2009 03:06 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
on the offensive side Thomas might surprise some people but again there's depth at that position.
07-06-2009 07:44 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

"If I needed to add another offensive player it would be Artie Tanguma, the TE from Texas. "

Maybe I'm foolish, but if English wants to run the ball a lot more, this kid looks like an OT mascerading as a TE.

He could even carry the ball out of the backfield in a goal line offense.
07-07-2009 04:33 PM
EagleAttack Offline
Special Teams

Yep Steve,

Having 4 or 5 DT's that can really play would be a huge upgrade for the DL. That position probably requires more depth than any on the field because of the size of the players combined with the energy they must expend to pass rush.

EMU has been way too thin on DL to be effective over the past several years. Even the talented DT combo of Jones and Hunt could not get it done with 1 true freshman (a 256 lb. freshman at that) for depth . They were flat out gassed too much of the time to rush effectively, or stop the run - and your talking about an NFL star in the making, and another potential NFL player.

Depth at the DE position is still a concern for me, especially after moving Orhman inside. DE's can typically play more plays than the DT's (their lighter), but still need a healthy rotation to keep up the speed rush, and hold their ground against the 300lb earth movers. Downs is a solid, experienced DE. Reese is very athletic, but a little undersized (similar to Spencer Smith...maybe a little bigger). In addition to Pao Pao, Delano needs to be an excellent player for this front 7 plan to come together, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised see Orhman shift back outside.

If it does come together, a starting DL of Downs (6'1"-250) / Orhman (now 6'4"-265) / Palsrok (now 6'4"-275) / and Johnson (approx. 6'4"-265) with depth and maybe a couple of Freshman surprises gets me pretty excited. It won't be the heavist DL in the MAC, but will be one of the longest and fastest.....and of course might atually have decent depth.

I guess none of this will matter, though, if we continue to play the same conservative D of the past few years. No four man rush will consistantly beat a 6 man offensive line without a healthy dose of blitz. Having your middle linebacker (and a fine one at that) sit back and make hundreds of tackles 5 yards deep just won't get it done...

But, from what I've seen so far from this staff...well, expect the dogs to be turned loose, and coming hard!
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 04:50 PM by EagleAttack.)
07-07-2009 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.