Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'Buy Black' Experiment Becomes Movement
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
'Buy Black' Experiment Becomes Movement
I don't think this is a good idea for several reasons. If everyone tried to shopped by race as often as they could, many minority owned businesses would probably fail. Second, change the word from white to black and it will be a racial issue for sure. Third, if you're only going to shop using racial guidelines then those stores would probably try to attract you by hiring people of that specific race which would probably cause a community to not be as diverse as the communities we currently have, i.e. whites would move to where the white jobs are, blacks, hispanics, Asians the same.

I think shopping by community is a much more wholesome approach and avoids the potential racial/economic problems that might occur if we shopped by race.

Quote:Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey.

"We kind of enjoy the sacrifice because we get to make the point ... but I am going without stuff and I am frustrated on a daily basis," Maggie Anderson said. "It's like, my people have been here 400 years and we don't even have a Walgreens to show for it."

So far, the Andersons have spent hundreds of dollars with black businesses from grocery stores to dry cleaners. But the couple still hasn't found a mortgage lender, home security system vendor or toy store. Nonetheless, they're hoping to expand the endeavor beyond their Chicago home.

Plans are under way to track spending among supporters nationwide and build a national database of quality black businesses. The first affiliate chapter has been launched in Atlanta, and the couple has established a foundation to raise funds for black businesses and an annual convention.

More...
http://www.theledger.com/article/2009051...905125059?

And a little more...
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/...k-09-mar09

Title=Buying-Black-Only
05-13-2009 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: 'Buy Black' Experiment Becomes Movement
There were things like this in Canada, although they didn't involve a movement or whatever. It was just kind of how it was with the big immigrant population in some areas and because everyone knows there country of origin. Pakistanis refused to buy Indian, Jamaicans bought from Jamaicans, all Asian nationalities bought from their fellow expats, and so on. The trend usually stops with their kids though as they attend school.

I don't like singling out one company because of the race of a person. If anything I like to go places to get away from the ordinary and get with other cultures because that's what America is all about.
05-13-2009 10:51 PM
egoboss407 Offline
Banned

I Root For: free speech
(05-13-2009 10:15 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  I don't think this is a good idea for several reasons. If everyone tried to shopped by race as often as they could, many minority owned businesses would probably fail. Second, change the word from white to black and it will be a racial issue for sure. Third, if you're only going to shop using racial guidelines then those stores would probably try to attract you by hiring people of that specific race which would probably cause a community to not be as diverse as the communities we currently have, i.e. whites would move to where the white jobs are, blacks, hispanics, Asians the same.

I think shopping by community is a much more wholesome approach and avoids the potential racial/economic problems that might occur if we shopped by race.

Quote:Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey.

"We kind of enjoy the sacrifice because we get to make the point ... but I am going without stuff and I am frustrated on a daily basis," Maggie Anderson said. "It's like, my people have been here 400 years and we don't even have a Walgreens to show for it."

So far, the Andersons have spent hundreds of dollars with black businesses from grocery stores to dry cleaners. But the couple still hasn't found a mortgage lender, home security system vendor or toy store. Nonetheless, they're hoping to expand the endeavor beyond their Chicago home.

Plans are under way to track spending among supporters nationwide and build a national database of quality black businesses. The first affiliate chapter has been launched in Atlanta, and the couple has established a foundation to raise funds for black businesses and an annual convention.

More...
http://www.theledger.com/article/2009051...905125059?

And a little more...
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/...k-09-mar09

Title=Buying-Black-Only

I think many minority businesses would actually do much better. That's why they want people to buy black. They probably weren't getting much white business, and losing a large % of black business. By promoting "buy black" they essentially give up on the white business and focus only on increasing the % of black business. The problem is that there is a ceiling to the black business. Not so much about black and white, but more about green.

Will somebody make it rain in here?
05-13-2009 11:27 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
*****, there's a black-owned restaurant in Atlanta, who has locations in Atlanta airport, who do VERY well. This **** catches on, I'm dining elsewhere. If your racist ass thinks black businesses are only those that have f'n bars on the windows and located in ghettos, you're a f'n moron.

They want this movement? Bring it on. I doubt many of the businesses do.
05-13-2009 11:34 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
BTW, the black community holds 800 BILLION dollars of the nation's GDP. No, I don't think there's a "ceiling".

Typical liberal. I guess you white liberal idiots need to "help'em out".
05-13-2009 11:36 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I have no problem with this. I think a business owner should be able to serve or not serve whoever they wish....Same with smoking or non smoking. Of course I reserve the right as a consumer to ostracize those that I feel are behaving badly in the marketplace and give my business to those that I feel are giving value and responding to market signals.

Government does not need to regulate the marketplace...It is self regulating.
05-14-2009 05:39 AM
Advertisement

egoboss407 Offline
Banned

I Root For: free speech
Mmmm Paschal's. I could go for some grits, with biscuits and gravy.
05-14-2009 06:35 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

It has always bothered me when followed Black Americans make this ridiculous "black-owned" sacrifice. I failed then, and I fail now to see the point, since we're all Americans.

Quote:"We kind of enjoy the sacrifice because we get to make the point ... but I am going without stuff and I am frustrated on a daily basis," Maggie Anderson said. "It's like, my people have been here 400 years and we don't even have a Walgreens to show for it."

"my people" -- who are "her people"...? Once again... "Americans". If Walgreens has what you need, and Joe "black-owned" Business does not, what good is it to suffer. Again, what's the point...?

Quote:So far, the Andersons have spent hundreds of dollars with black businesses from grocery stores to dry cleaners. But the couple still hasn't found a mortgage lender, home security system vendor or toy store. Nonetheless, they're hoping to expand the endeavor beyond their Chicago home.

The endeavor won't reach the western edge of Wake County, NC. I'll have none of it.

Quote:Plans are under way to track spending among supporters nationwide and build a national database of quality black businesses. The first affiliate chapter has been launched in Atlanta, and the couple has established a foundation to raise funds for black businesses and an annual convention.

How about building a national database of quality AMERICAN businesses and invest money wisely?
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2009 02:15 PM by ecuacc4ever.)
05-14-2009 02:15 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Let people do the experiment. Often people don't know until they try it themselves.

Let's just hope they communicate the honest lesson learned: it's stupid.
05-14-2009 02:20 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Could you imagine if a group of white people did this, and publicized it?
05-14-2009 02:23 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(05-14-2009 02:23 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Could you imagine if a group of white people did this, and publicized it?

The Tom Joyner Morning Show would organize rallies nationwide to stop it, led by Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al.

Meanwhile, this couple does it and the TJMS applauds it.

Go figure.
05-14-2009 02:46 PM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
not that different than those who voted for Obama soley because he was black
05-14-2009 02:59 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Let's say this womam wants ice cream and there are only two ice cream shops in her town. Both shops have identical products, prices and quality and she chooses not to go to one because of the race of the owner. Isn't that discrimination? What if the owner of the store she won't go to has black people working for him and, as the store starts to suffer, he says to himself "blacks made a business decision not to buy from me based on ethnic pride so I'm going to make a business decision and lay off only my black workers and keep the others as a sign of ethnic pride." You know that would be called racist.

If this movement catches on and can impact the economy it would be in my best interests to make a list of all the black-owned businesses in my area and send it to this woman. I'll gladly take her money to pave my roads and hire police and firemen.

I wonder how this woman would feel if us men all said we were only going to spend our money in businesses owned by men?
05-14-2009 03:53 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

The thing is...it won't catch on. No matter who tries it they all fail eventually.
05-14-2009 04:17 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Seriously move you a s s to Africa (which is a continent, not a country) so you can buy stuff there.
05-14-2009 05:18 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
I am sure Michael Jordan, or the criminal who was running Morgan Stanley can afford to open a Walgreens or a CVS. Maybe they don't want to.
05-14-2009 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

And people STUPIDLY wonder why Black/White Bigotry, Racism, and Hatred burn just as bright today as it did 100 years ago.

It is so humorous how Korean, Chinese, Hispanic (Cuban, PR, etc) can come to this country and become Business Owners in just a few years, cater to ALL RACES, keep good relations with the Community Around them and Prosper like a MOFO.

Yet Black Folk who have had their chance for way longer than most of the other races that immigrate to the U.S., can't seem to move much above where they were decades ago.

Maybe if they would stop being pissed off that their Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather was a slave and get the Slavery Chip Mentality off their Shoulders, they just might be able to get around all the BS that people like Jackson, Sharpton, and other so-called Black Community Leaders keep pouring down their throats like so much poison, so as to KEEP THEM DOWN and force them to rely on the powers of Jackson, Sharpton, ET AL.

There are many Black Owned businesses in my area and one Restaurant in particular whups the pants off most of the White Owned ones - - the food is so freggin excellent that it is like real deal home cooked goodies and no one cares what the color the owner and workers are ,,,, the product they produce is Blue Ribbon Top Quality and they have been kicking butt for about 30 years now.

So go ahead and boycott every business but Black Owned ones .... but you Boycott Freaks BEST REMEMBER this - - MY HIGH SCHOOL was Ripped to Pieces and I was FORCED to ride a stinking bus past my Old School that was just "1 MILE" from my house, to an Integrated School 12 Miles Away and a 2 HOUR BUS RIDE just to please you Spoiled Brats !!!!!!!!

And I had no legal right to Boycott that utter farce of Federal Cluster Fck ....

But it is ALWAYS the "White Man's Fault" .... bull sh't .....

05-14-2009 06:15 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

What part of the country is having this movement?
05-14-2009 07:12 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(05-14-2009 07:12 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  What part of the country is having this movement?

From the links it's Chicago and Atlanta
05-14-2009 07:17 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

No matter how hard anyone tries it won't work. It's like the proposed gas boycotts last summer and you can't get everyone to comply. I even know that most black people wouldn't try something like this because it ain't worth it.
05-14-2009 07:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.