Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So what happened to Obama's Thug Army this past weekend?
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
So what happened to Obama's Thug Army this past weekend?
They didn't knock on my door.... (Of course I hope they know better than that) and I didn't see anyone dressed up in Labor Union or ACORN T Shirts slithering around the neighborhood. And I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the Blue Dogs to vote for this economic insanity

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's army of canvassers fanned out across the nation over the weekend to drum up support for his $3.55 trillion budget, but they had no noticeable impact on members of Congress, who on Monday said they were largely unaware of the effort.

"News to me," said Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas, a House Budget Committee member, of the canvassing. Later, his staff said that his office had heard from about 100 voters.

The president's lieutenants tried to open a new front in the "Obama revolution," the grassroots mobilization that propelled the once little-known Illinois senator to the White House last year. David Plouffe, who ran Obama's campaign, now runs "Organizing for America" out of the Democratic National Committee. It uses the same Web-based tactics that won the presidency to mobilize public opinion behind Obama's initiatives in a bid to redefine "business as usual" in Washington.

"The budget that passes Congress has the potential to take our country in a truly new direction — the kind of change we all worked so hard for," Plouffe said in an e-mail alert to Obama followers last week. He asked them to rally people in their hometowns behind Obama's budget.

Over the weekend, Obama supporters knocked on an estimated 1 million doors in all 50 states. Canvassers asked people to sign a two-point pledge saying that they support Obama's "bold approach for renewing America's economy," and that they'll ask family, friends and neighbors to back it.

"How many of these folks have read the budget?" wondered Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., a House Financial Services Committee member.

Congressional committees will start rewriting Obama's budget this week. Obama's biggest Capitol Hill problem appears to be conservative and moderate Democrats, who are challenging his fiscal 2010 budget blueprint.

Some lawmakers saw value in the canvassing.

"Anything that raises the profile of the challenges we face is very important," said Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., a Budget Committee member.

Trying to mobilize voters to rally behind a complex, multi-trillion dollar budget that Congress will take months to enact is a different task from winning votes for a presidential candidate.

"You live in Terre Haute, Indiana, or suburban Denver, and someone you don't know knocks on the door and talks politics — the election is over," said Peter Brown, the assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute in Connecticut. "I'm not sure if it will make a big difference."

Still, Brown concedes that it's early enough in Obama's presidency and he's still popular enough that some people will listen and give Obama "the benefit of the doubt" on his agenda.

"They're scared about their income future," Brown said.

The group Obama most needs to lobby this week are the approximately 51 conservative-to-moderate Democrats in the House of Representatives and the 16 in the Senate. Their numbers are big enough in both chambers to deny the president the majorities he needs to win budget approval, assuming near-unanimous Republican opposition as well.

Centrist Democrats disagree with Obama's plan to increase spending on most domestic programs by about 9 percent next year. They want no spending increase.

Congress has to "develop a realistic plan for putting our country back on a path to fiscal responsibility," said Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-La., a leader of the moderate Democratic Blue Dog Coalition. "It is vital that we begin working to bring our books back to balance, using tools such as (mandatory) pay-as-you-go budgeting."

Blue Dogs were careful not to criticize Obama, but said they've felt little pressure from the canvassing.

Rep. Melissa Bean, D-Ill., once a coalition member but now vice-chair of the New Democrat Coalition, said she wasn't aware of the effort and has heard no response to it from her district.

Meanwhile, established liberal groups are gearing up to stop the Blue Dogs in more traditional ways. The Campaign for America's Future and other groups have scheduled a joint news conference for Tuesday to announce what they term a "new campaign to dog the Blue Dogs."

In a statement, they said that "President Obama is back in campaign mode as he pushes for a budget proposal that has faced opposition from a group of Democratic senators led by Sen. Evan Bayh," a moderate from Indiana.

In addition, Obama is expected to tout his budget on Tuesday night in a prime-time news conference.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/64644.html
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2009 09:58 PM by WoodlandsOwl.)
03-23-2009 09:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: So what happened to Obama's Thug Army this past weekend?
(03-23-2009 09:19 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  Over the weekend, Obama supporters knocked on an estimated 1 million doors in all 50 states. Canvassers asked people to sign a two-point pledge saying that they support Obama's "bold approach for renewing America's economy," and that they'll ask family, friends and neighbors to back it.

If conservatives got 1 million people to sign a petition or register themselves on a web site saying they didn't want Obama's insanely stupid spending to continue would he listen?

When do you think he'll propose an amendent to the constitution that will allow him to run for a 3rd or 4th term? [Image: loser-1.png]
03-23-2009 09:48 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(03-23-2009 09:48 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(03-23-2009 09:19 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  Over the weekend, Obama supporters knocked on an estimated 1 million doors in all 50 states. Canvassers asked people to sign a two-point pledge saying that they support Obama's "bold approach for renewing America's economy," and that they'll ask family, friends and neighbors to back it.

Hmmm, wonder why they didn't say how many of that million signed.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2009 09:56 PM by Paul M.)
03-23-2009 09:55 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(03-23-2009 09:55 PM)Paul M Wrote:  

You know how many people Obama will piss off because he will be delaying "American Idol" tomorrow night ??
03-23-2009 10:03 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-23-2009 10:03 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(03-23-2009 09:55 PM)Paul M Wrote:  
You know how many people Obama will piss off because he will be delaying "American Idol" tomorrow night ??

You know how bad it is for that to be the thing that p*$$*$ people off?
03-23-2009 10:09 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-23-2009 09:48 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  If conservatives got 1 million people to sign a petition or register themselves on a web site saying they didn't want Obama's insanely stupid spending to continue would he listen?

That idiot was elected with 69 million votes from other idiots. You could get 10 million and it still wouldn't matter. You think he'd care? Go eat your cake.

Seriously though, this guy is 10 times worse than I thought he'd be. He's the only damn President who didn't come back to the middle. He's ALL the way to to the left.

For you Libs, no, Bush didn't stay on the right. Hell, you guys ought to be hailing him as a fiscal liberal.
03-23-2009 10:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-23-2009 10:26 PM)Rebel Wrote:  For you Libs, no, Bush didn't stay on the right. Hell, you guys ought to be hailing him as a fiscal liberal.

That's what's very strange. They attack Bush for being a fiscal liberal. Now they defend Obama for being a fiscal liberal. Party over principle, I guess.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2009 10:54 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-23-2009 10:54 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
That's the way it's always been; your party can't be wrong. It's like being a sports fan, if another team does something you harp on it until it's no longer news worthy. Once it happens to your team it suddenly becomes excusable.
03-23-2009 11:35 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-23-2009 11:35 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  That's the way it's always been; your party can't be wrong. It's like being a sports fan, if another team does something you harp on it until it's no longer news worthy. Once it happens to your team it suddenly becomes excusable.

My party, the LP, was wrong. It's why I'm an independent. The party I normally vote for, the Repubs, were wrong as well, which is why they were ousted. Seems only the Dems keep Dems in even when they fk up. I give you Marion Barry, Cynthia McKinney, Billy McKinney, Charles Walker, Charlie Rangel, hell, I can name a ton more.
03-23-2009 11:38 PM
Quote this message in a reply
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
McKinney isn't a dem anymore. I understand what you mean though and that is why Im an Indy. It's great to be able to vote for both sides.
03-24-2009 12:01 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(03-24-2009 12:01 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  McKinney isn't a dem anymore. I understand what you mean though and that is why Im an Indy. It's great to be able to vote for both sides.

It would be great if more viable candidates existed. TPTB have tried to lock in the 2-party system, and they've done a pretty good job of it.
03-24-2009 08:03 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
One of the "enjoyable" things so many of you miss living out in the suburbs is non-stop political and issue canvasing.

I positively love getting these type people to knock on my door. Nothing like debating with the uniformed - these canvasing folk are not the brightest stars. Seems liike most of them are paid by the signature.

Sometimes they argue back - I spent a good 30 min talking once with a hippie chick about her desire for wind power, and my stipulation that I would only support their wind power cause if they supported nuclear power. We didn't agree, but it was fun and I gave her a bottle of water for her continuing travails....
03-24-2009 10:23 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Obama's horde didn't work because they don't know how to work. It's hard to drag your but off the couch when Jerry Springer is on.
03-24-2009 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.