Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

INside the Cage
Bookmark and Share
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
INside the Cage
Here's a video of some spring practice action at FIU.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2009 08:12 AM by Burn the Horse.)
03-21-2009 06:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
RE: Inside the Cage
props to our FIU INsider. thanks Panther fan!
03-21-2009 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
These INsider things will be pretty cool if you can get them going for all the teams. I'd be really curious to see one from South Alabama.

Nice job on this one, I enjoyed that. Cristobel (sp?) presents himself very well. He seems like he should be coaching in the NFL.

Also, should maybe they have one thread for each INsider per season per sport? That way you could go back and look at progress and find old articles, info, etc?
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2009 09:51 AM by Hilltopper2K.)
03-21-2009 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

yeah, i'm wanting each INsider to have their own thread and post updates in it. right now, it is only for football. would you be interested in being out WKU INsider Hilltopper2K?
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2009 08:29 PM by Burn the Horse.)
03-21-2009 10:26 AM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Thanks for posting the video, 'pantherfan....A lot of excitement on the air in Panther Land....
03-21-2009 01:29 PM
MeanGreenEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: North Texas
FIU is the first school I've ever seen that has it's defense in white practice jerseys and it's offense in the school color. Everyone else does it the other way around.
03-21-2009 09:33 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(03-21-2009 09:33 PM)MeanGreenEagle Wrote:  FIU is the first school I've ever seen that has it's defense in white practice jerseys and it's offense in the school color. Everyone else does it the other way around.

Troy does that too. I don't have footage, but our defense has been wearing white jerseys and our offense has been wearing the actual uniform school colors.
03-22-2009 10:50 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

RE: INside the Cage
Since posterchild has expressed a great interest in the INsider program and is very up-to-date with FIU athletics, I have promoted him to FIU INsider Staff. He will be Panther Fan's right hand man and be posting information here. Thank you to posterchild!

If anyone else is interested in serving as a staff member of our board through the INsider program, please PM me! We are still in great need for an INsider from:

North Texas
South Alabama
Western Kentucky
ULM
Louisiana
FAU
03-23-2009 05:21 PM
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

Obviously there has not been much going on practice wise, as we have been on spring break.

However FIU has hosted a couple of recruits so far during spring practices. Both commitments from the 09 class and recruits for 2010.

Amoung those who I recall off the top of the dome,

Antonio Ford, 2010
Wayne Times, 2009
Kenneth Dillard, 2009
Darian Mallory, 2009
Kedrick Rhodes, 2010

A few others have actually been on visits, admittedly however their names escape my mind.

FIU has been doing well identifying recruits for 2010, and has made some headway. If you get the meaning.

FIU's new d-line coach, Coach Godette is making some serious waves, in a good way. His intensity is unmatched by anyone else on the staff. He has really uped the ante'. He pushes these kids hard, and during a routine OL/DL drill pushed most of the DL to a point Clark rarely did. Some took a knee and puked their brains out. The pace was more than just intense, insane may be the word.

These kids need it though, most feel the DL is going to be the weak point with three key guys having graduated.

Godette is an NFL guy, and the kids look up to him, he knows what it takes. Though he is an intense coach, he still connects with the kids. He wants to make this defense one of the best in the NATION, starting at the d-line. With him coaching the DL, I think it may happen if we get the right guys in there. But right now he is looking to get all of the ability from the kids he has now that he can.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2009 07:55 PM by posterchild.)
03-23-2009 07:53 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-23-2009 07:53 PM)posterchild Wrote:  Obviously there has not been much going on practice wise, as we have been on spring break.

However FIU has hosted a couple of recruits so far during spring practices. Both commitments from the 09 class and recruits for 2010.

Amoung those who I recall off the top of the dome,

Antonio Ford, 2010
Wayne Times, 2009
Kenneth Dillard, 2009
Darian Mallory, 2009
Kedrick Rhodes, 2010

A few others have actually been on visits, admittedly however their names escape my mind.

FIU has been doing well identifying recruits for 2010, and has made some headway. If you get the meaning.

FIU's new d-line coach, Coach Godette is making some serious waves, in a good way. His intensity is unmatched by anyone else on the staff. He has really uped the ante'. He pushes these kids hard, and during a routine OL/DL drill pushed most of the DL to a point Clark rarely did. Some took a knee and puked their brains out. The pace was more than just intense, insane may be the word.

These kids need it though, most feel the DL is going to be the weak point with three key guys having graduated.

Godette is an NFL guy, and the kids look up to him, he knows what it takes. Though he is an intense coach, he still connects with the kids. He wants to make this defense one of the best in the NATION, starting at the d-line. With him coaching the DL, I think it may happen if we get the right guys in there. But right now he is looking to get all of the ability from the kids he has now that he can.

Great post..full of information and interesting stuff....Thanks for sharing!
03-24-2009 12:34 AM
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

Tuesday's practice showed little in terms of new wrinkles to the offense and defense. At this point, the coaches are trying to get the most out of the offensive and defensive lines as possible. The DL and OL traded shots at each other (in a good way). There was a huge change in the feel of practice. It did not feel like the lineman were chasing the coaches trying to keep with the pace. I think Godette and Laffere are really getting into these guy's heads and starting to get reults.

Something I have never seen before however, was Kambriel Willis (Sophomore, DE) bullrushing an offensive tackle to the ground. I think it is safe to say that our weight room staff is doing a helluva job. Kambriel has added a good 15 lbs of muscle and he is every bit as explosive off the line. Now with his added strength, I believe we may see more of him in the coming season. A good thing, because our D-Line is going to need as many bodies as possible.

Speaking of bodies.

Still a lot of orange jerseys out there, I do not believe the spring game is going to showcase our team at full strength, however I know most of the guys will be ready by the fall.

The offense looked sharp in team drills, Darriet Perry, the probable starter at RB ripped off a forty yard carry to start the series of 13 plays. However they did give up some sacks, I believe Thatcher Starling got at least one.

Wendy Napoleon, is a beast. The guy is sharp, and looks the part. He is going to be a huge player for us this year. And no one can deny his character. Just a great person.

The team will not have practice tomorrow (Wedsnesday) however they will resume practices Thursday and go through Saturday. All practices will be at 3:15. FIU's Annual Coaches Clinic will be held this Friday and Saturday.

Recruiting wise, Dudley Laporte (TE) was on campus today. I believe he is a JUCO guy. He is certainly a huge prospect, 6'3" and every bit of 240lbs of muscle. He would be a great addition to the squad. He can catch the ball and block. If FIU gets him, it would be a huge deal.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2009 11:00 PM by posterchild.)
03-24-2009 10:57 PM
Advertisement

posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

FIU got a new commit for 2009.

He is Dudley Laporte. A 6'4" 245 lbs TE, reportedly has run in the 4.4's.

Another solid addition to what may be the best offense in the belt.

Youtube highlight vid, disregard the Utah Signee BS. He is all FIU...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E4QfGHDsRc
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2009 04:41 PM by posterchild.)
03-25-2009 04:38 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-25-2009 04:38 PM)posterchild Wrote:  FIU got a new commit for 2009.

Wow...posterchild....FIU is getting every year under Mario Cristobal more and more early...and I mean very early...commits...This guy has been a star wherever he has been...Utah loved him and so did Ole Miss...Some sites have him listed at 250+ pounds...and very fast...

Thanks for the info...FIU's first commitment.....:iagree:
03-25-2009 06:10 PM
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

nope he is 2009 not 2010... he will have 2 years eligibility left.
03-25-2009 08:55 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-25-2009 08:55 PM)posterchild Wrote:  nope he is 2009 not 2010... he will have 2 years eligibility left.

Oops...read it too fast. Even better...for this coming season....Thanks for clarifying this info for us....
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2009 09:54 PM by FIUFanatic.)
03-25-2009 09:47 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times

Does it ever end??? Jeebuz...It's very scary that Troy has to go to FIU this year. Hopefully Troy will be injury free by then, or at least as injury free as possible.
03-26-2009 09:33 AM
Advertisement

Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

Let it begin.. let it begin... LET IT BEGIN!! :evil laugh!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhuewundDxc
03-26-2009 10:27 PM
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

Little corny with the animated hamster. But the ship is definitely taking off at this point. Signing Dudley was lucky, he did not have enough credits to attain his AA degree, thus he could not enroll at Utah. But he is a smart kid, he should do really well here at FIU. Both academically and athletically.

Dudley's impact will be obvious. He will be an every down guy. He played receiver in JUCO. He has run a 4.48 @ 255. He is of the Vernon Davis mold and in our spread he should pose match up problem with his size speed and strength. He is equally as good in protection and blocking as he is a receiver.

Combined with Hilton, Mertile, and Frierson/Ellingson at receiver, Perry/Ellis in the backfield there are too many weapons for our offense to become predictable.

I am not even throwing in the freshman. Who will have an opportunity to prove their worth soon enough.
03-27-2009 01:17 AM
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

FIU leads for one of Florida's top receivers.

per Rivals.

Wright With a Surprising Leader?

The upstart FIU Golden Panthers could be on the brink of a milestone for their young program, going head to head against the cross town power Miami Hurricanes for a recruit, and winning the battle.

Miami Springs 2010 standout Willis Wright has offers from both of the Dade County universities, as well as Purdue and Ole Miss. Wright, who can play wide receiver or safety in college, feels FIU is recruiting him the hardest, and the effort by the FIU staff is currently paying off.

"FIU stands out," said Willis on his offers. "I like how their offense moves, it moves fast. The school, the academic part stands out. I think it would be a good fit for me."

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Wright was brief on his thoughts of the Hurricanes.

"Miami is almost the same (as FIU), but I'm looking for the best fit for me."

The plan each school has for Wright differs and could be the main reason for FIU having the slight edge.

"Some schools recruiting me for DB, but FIU is recruiting me as a wide receiver," said Wright. "Miami is looking at me as a DB and maybe a wide receiver."

Wright went on to discuss why he feels the wide receiver position is for him.

"I can always get past the DB to get the ball. I got speed. I'm strong and can't be tackled by one man."

This summer Wright's initial plans are to attend camps at Florida and FIU.
03-27-2009 01:56 AM
Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

Wright would be a steal, this shows how committed Cristobal and Co. are at getting the guys they want. It really is amazing. It should serve as a warning for all schools in Florida at what we are trying to build here. You don't think UCG isn't worried about this? They are, and their fans are, too. The pieces just keep on coming and they are falling into place faster than anyone might have suspected!
03-27-2009 09:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.