Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Holder: Some Gitmo Detainees May Be Released in the US
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Holder: Some Gitmo Detainees May Be Released in the US
While some of the "detainees" at Gitmo may have been swept up in a broad dragnet, I don't see why their host government would refuse to take them back if they didn't do anything wrong.

Any released in the US better watch out. I don't think they would last two days on the streets. The Press would find out about it, report it, and then someone would take the guy out.

Attorney General Eric Holder said some detainees being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, may end up being released in the U.S. as the Obama administration works with foreign allies to resettle some of the prisoners.

Mr. Holder, in a briefing with reporters, said administration officials are still reviewing individual cases of the approximately 250 detainees to determine which will be put on trial and which may be released to comply with plans to close the detention facility by next year.

Six weeks into his tenure, Mr. Holder is still trying to assemble much of the Justice senior leadership, with several nominees awaiting Senate confirmation. He said he has reviewed the department's handling of white-collar criminal cases in response to the financial crisis and is considering ways to increase coordination on financial fraud among federal prosecutors and state officials. He said he is trying to increase the budget dedicated to white-collar crime, while maintaining funding for national security.

European justice ministers met with Mr. Holder earlier this week and pressed for details on how many Guantanamo prisoners the U.S. planned to release domestically, as part of any agreement for allies to accept detainees. Mr. Holder said U.S. officials would work to respond to the questions European officials have over U.S. Guantanamo plans.

For "people who can be released there are a variety of options that we have and among them is the possibility is that we would release them into this country," Mr. Holder said. "That process is ongoing and we've not made any determinations or made any requests of anybody at this point."

Among the detainees whose fate remains undetermined are 17 ethnic Uighurs, from the Central Asian region of China, who have been ordered released by a judge. The U.S. has refused to turn the men over to China, which considers them part of an separatist group.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123741378746277081.html
03-19-2009 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Holder: Some Gitmo Detainees May Be Released in the US
Send them to San Francisco, they'll be safe there.
03-19-2009 02:09 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Releasing them onto the streets if the USA is probably one of the most stupid things I've heard in my life time. The good news for the terrorists is that they'll get to mooch benefits from our taxes. Brilliant.
03-19-2009 02:13 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

Maybe we can help with some Pell Grants or Full Scholarships to Flight Schools and stuff after we give them big fine homes to live in ..... 04-rock

I mean we want to give all the advantages that growing up in Yemen or Saudi Arabia didn't offer them.

And heck, they could then call all the Living Hijackers back to the United States who are already Licensed Pilots and have a Flight Fest !!!!

You see these guys flew planes into skyscrapers but are still alive and flying around the world out of Saudi Arabia ....

Funny how we have never once seen and really close up interview with any of these guys though ... I guess it is just me that is confused ... 03-lmfao (well there Is always Robert)

03-19-2009 03:32 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
You forgot the visit to the White House, and official apology.

(03-19-2009 03:32 PM)Tripster Wrote:  .

Maybe we can help with some Pell Grants or Full Scholarships to Flight Schools and stuff after we give them big fine homes to live in ..... 04-rock

Throw in ordnance training while you're at it.

Quote: I mean we want to give all the advantages that growing up in Yemen or Saudi Arabia didn't offer them.

And heck, they could then call all the Living Hijackers back to the United States who are already Licensed Pilots and have a Flight Fest !!!!

I'm thinking several episodes of Nightline about them. Then Larry King, Letterman. Finally, a reality TV show.
03-19-2009 04:20 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only
(03-19-2009 04:20 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  You forgot the visit to the White House, and official apology.

I'm thinking several episodes of Nightline about them. Then Larry King, Letterman. Finally, a reality TV show.

With Ward Churchill as Show Host and Obama as Guest Host every couple of weeks ... extend that hand with Olive Branch Held High there Barry.

And oh, sorry about the Lincoln Bedroom stay and the Oval Orifice Apology.

Maybe O'Irish Barry can start their Flight Training off in Air Force One !!!!!!!!!

NOW THAT IS JUST JOLLY SPLENDID OF AN IDEA Old Chap !!!!!!! 04-rock 04-cheers

03-19-2009 06:46 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
This is an unavoidable consequence of closing Gitmo. To be honest, for some of them, it's the most just thing that can be done.

I posted a couple of months ago about the five Uighars that were released to Albania. China has effectively closed off all options except for (1) continued detention in Gitmo, (2) release to China where they're screwed, and (3) release on the streets of the US. Albania will not take them again because of Chinese pressure. They are probably not guilty of anything more than (1) being Chinese Muslims, clearly a persecuted minority and (2) being immigrant labor in Afghanistan. The combination of policies of Bush followed by Obama makes their release on the streets of the US inevitable, and it is probably the most just thing that could happen.
03-19-2009 06:56 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(03-19-2009 06:56 PM)I45owl Wrote:  This is an unavoidable consequence of closing Gitmo. To be honest, for some of them, it's the most just thing that can be done.

I posted a couple of months ago about the five Uighars that were released to Albania. China has effectively closed off all options except for (1) continued detention in Gitmo, (2) release to China where they're screwed, and (3) release on the streets of the US. Albania will not take them again because of Chinese pressure. They are probably not guilty of anything more than (1) being Chinese Muslims, clearly a persecuted minority and (2) being immigrant labor in Afghanistan. The combination of policies of Bush followed by Obama makes their release on the streets of the US inevitable, and it is probably the most just thing that could happen.

this...+1
03-19-2009 07:56 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(03-19-2009 06:56 PM)I45owl Wrote:  This is an unavoidable consequence of closing Gitmo. To be honest, for some of them, it's the most just thing that can be done.

The Uighars supposedly were involved in some terror attacks in China right before the Olympics. Whether this was legit, or a Chinese "set up" to justify a crackdown I don't know.

But I don't think you can simply release them in the US. They have to be put in something like the Witness Protection Program where they are monitored.
03-19-2009 08:17 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Hopefully it's your city, not mine.
03-19-2009 10:05 PM
Quote this message in a reply
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-19-2009 10:05 PM)Rebel Wrote:  

Hopefully it's your city, not mine.

They wouldn't even be close to the most likely Muslims to be dangerous threats in Dallas. The good news is that the FBI should be well equipped to keep tabs on them.

(03-19-2009 08:17 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  The Uighars supposedly were involved in some terror attacks in China right before the Olympics. Whether this was legit, or a Chinese "set up" to justify a crackdown I don't know.

There is no doubt that the Uighars are in some form of open revolt in China. There is also no doubt that they're justified in doing so - much like the Chechans. Unlike the Chechans, they haven't committed high profile atrocities that make the civilized world turn a blind eye to their fate. But, given your choice, I'd expect 10% of the former and 90% of the latter. When they are given the same status as the Tibetans in the way they're treated by the Chinese, then it's likely that it's the Chinese government that is the main culprit.
03-20-2009 12:16 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Here's a feature on the Uighars from Gitmo that went to Albania.
03-20-2009 12:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.