I Root For: America
IT'S STARTING: Feds undercut civilian supply of ammunition
WEAPONS OF CHOICE
Feds undercut civilian supply of ammunition
Policy leaves manufacturers without brass for cartridges

March 17, 2009 9:00 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn

Fired brass shell casings

A recent government policy change has taken a bite out of the nation's already stressed ammunition supply, leaving arms dealers scrambling to find ammo for private gun owners.

Georgia Arms is a company that for the last 15 years has been purchasing fired brass shell casings from the Department of Defense and private government surplus liquidators. The military collects the discarded casings from fired rounds, then sells them through liquidators to companies like Georgia Arms that remanufacture the casings into ammunition for the law enforcement and civilian gun owner communities.

But earlier this month, Georgia Arms received a canceled order, informed by its supplier that the government now requires fired brass casings be mutilated, in other words, destroyed to a scrap metal state.

The policy change, handed down from the Department of Defense through the Defense Logistics Agency, cuts a supply leg out from underneath ammunition manufacturers.

Learn here why it's your right -- and duty -- to be armed.

The policy has compelled Georgia Arms, for example, to cancel all sales of .223 and .308 ammunition, rounds used, respectively, in semi-automatic and deer hunting rifles, until further notice. Sharch Manufacturing, Inc. has announced the same cancellation of its .223 and .308 brass reloading components.

"They just reclassified brass to allow destruction of it, based on what?" Georgia Arms owner Larry Haynie asked WND. "We've been 'going green' for the last dozen years, and brass is one of the most recyclable materials out there. A cartridge case can be used over and over again. And now we're going to destroy it based on what? We don't want the civilian public to have it? It's a government injustice."

As WND reported, firearm sales have spiked since the election of a perceived anti-gun president, and Americans stockpiling bullets have produced a stressed ammunition market.

The Orlando Sentinel reports months of steady, heavy buying have left gun dealers in Florida facing shortages of ammunition.

"The survivalist in all of us comes out," John Ritz, manager of a Florida shooting range, told the Sentinel. "It's more about protecting what you have."

"People are just stockpiling," said a spokeswoman for Georgia Arms, which has seen bullet sales jump 100 percent since the election. "A gun is just like a car. If you can't get gas, you can't use it."

WND contacted the Defense Logistics Agency, the Department of Defense's largest combat support agency, several times seeking comment or explanation for the policy change but received none.

The National Rifle Association confirmed to WND that the DLA had been instructed to require the scrapping of the brass casings but declined further comment at this time.

Other gun advocates, however, have sounded off on the issue, eyeing the change in government policy with suspicion and filling the blogosphere with speculation that the effects of the policy change may be deliberate.

"It is an end-run around Congress. They don't need to try to ban guns – they don't need to fight a massive battle to attempt gun registration, or limit 'assault' weapon sales," writes firearm instructor and author Gordon Hutchinson on his The Shootist blog. "Nope. All they have to do is limit the amount of ammunition available to the civilian market, and when bullets dry up, guns will be useless."

A writer named Owen at the Boots & Sabers blog suspects the policy change is an effort by an anti-gun administration to raise the cost of ammunition.

"This policy didn't come out of the blue," writes Owen. "The Commander in Chief is clearly sending a message to gun owners that they should be paying more for ammunition. If he can't do it through regulatory action, he'll do it by forcing ammunition manufacturers to spend more on production."

Hutchinson reports Georgia Arms was manufacturing over 1 million rounds of .223 ammunition every month, but without the ability to purchase expended military ammunition, the company may be forced to lay off up to half its workforce.
03-17-2009 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
RE: IT'S STARTING: Feds undercut civilian supply of ammunition
this is why i use Com-block stuff. though i should probably get some reloading equipment for that too. also this only appears to affect .223 and .308.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2009 05:28 AM by Tulsaman.)
03-18-2009 05:14 AM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only
(03-18-2009 05:14 AM)Tulsaman Wrote:  this is why i use Com-block stuff. though i should probably get some reloading equipment for that too. also this only appears to affect .223 and .308.

That's because the 7.62x39mm AK47 type ammo is mostly Russian or Chinese made and is imported.

So this will be an easy one for the Bambi-god .... cut off all imports of Ammo of any kind from Communist Countries ...

Because too, I am sitting here looking at a couple of cases of Russian made M16/5.56mm ammo as well .... if Bambi is so foolish as to kill off Ammo Makers in the U.S. - - then I will be happy to support Russian Ammo Companies any way I can.

Any-freggin-way, when I was in the Military, we HAD to Expend Ammo by a certain date or destroy it ... mostly it always found its way to Surplus Stores and the like and since I shot Competition .45's, I could sign out all the Ammo I wanted for M16, .45, M60 (.308 Hunting Round), and on and on - - all I had to do was bring back the Brass for Recycle/Reload. If I signed out 2000 Rounds of M16 (5.56mm) and I only brought back 1500, then I only got 1500 live rounds back - - you could work your self out of any free ammo if you didn't 'Catch Your Brass'.

Anyone ever have a "Mad Minute" .... 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

03-18-2009 12:21 PM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
(03-18-2009 12:21 PM)Tripster Wrote:  Anyone ever have a "Mad Minute"

I do have a no.4 Mk.1 Lee-Enfield 02-13-banana if that is the mad minute you are bringing into this thread.
03-18-2009 01:16 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline

(03-18-2009 01:16 PM)Tulsaman Wrote:  

I do have a no.4 Mk.1 Lee-Enfield 02-13-banana if that is the mad minute you are bringing into this thread.

A "Mad Minute" is where you go out and grab all the near outdated Ordinance and everyone starts firing at the same time .... 100 guys firing off everything from 9mm to .50 cal and grenade launchers for 60 seconds ... 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao - - It is a hooter !!!!!

03-18-2009 05:21 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(03-18-2009 05:21 PM)Tripster Wrote:  
(03-18-2009 01:16 PM)Tulsaman Wrote:  

A "Mad Minute" is where you go out and grab all the near outdated Ordinance and everyone starts firing at the same time .... 100 guys firing off everything from 9mm to .50 cal and grenade launchers for 60 seconds ... 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao - - It is a hooter !!!!!

A mad minute is also a term used when you're not sure if the enemy is out there so you blast everything in sight for a minute and see if anything fires back.
03-18-2009 09:05 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Soooo, it has nothing to do with makeup sex?
03-18-2009 10:42 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Tripster Offline

(03-18-2009 10:42 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Soooo, it has nothing to do with makeup sex?

Now I don't know about that one ...

There are a whole lot of minutes in this world to be "Mad" in.

And how ever you are Mad in that Minute, is strictly a Vegas sort-o-thing ... 03-shhhh

03-19-2009 03:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.