RE: John Stewart Strikes Again
saw this yesterday...funny ****
03-05-2009 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lil' Sammy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Hawks
Thanks, niuhuskie84- this was hilarious!
03-06-2009 09:16 AM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
- that will surely ignite the right & ObamaBashers
Way funny.................................................!

Stewart BTW was on Lettermen last nite.

Dave was merciless in his monolgue about Rush L as the new face of the Repub party .
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2009 11:41 AM by cyberdawg.)
03-06-2009 10:34 AM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
Hilarious and spot on!
03-07-2009 05:15 PM
NIUGAHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
"I'd be a millionare today if I followed CNBC's advice... Provided I started with a 100 million dollars".
That line cracked me up more than any other.
03-07-2009 09:33 PM
Advertisement

niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
I dont know if you guys watched Cramer show up (more like get eaten for lunch) on Stewarts show last night.

Theres 3 parts in all

Again I have to ask in all of this: why is a COMEDY show the only one asking the hard questions, holding people accountable, and making sense in all this? What's that say about the state of journalism today?

Like Stewart said: "Its not a fu*king game."
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2009 09:41 AM by niuhuskie84.)
03-13-2009 09:41 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I bet if Cramer or anyone else goes on in the future, they will be better prepared. I feel stewart set up Cramer for this attack. He controlled the interview and questioning. I don't necessarily disagree with Stewart's point of view but we are a society of followers. Also, a lot of the banks and financial institutions buy advertising on these same stations. If banks are paying your salary, how do you bite the hand that feeds you.

Having said that, is there a better way? TV stations and newspapers are in business to make money.
03-13-2009 10:08 AM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Of course Stewart set him up, but Cramer had to know what he was going into (although he honestly looked near tears at one point). Its not entirely fair he's being singled out, but he's an easy target and is basically the sacrificial lamb of the cable networks right now.

But all of the quotes you see where coming straight from the horses mouth. In the one clip He's explaining how he manipulated the market and how the SEC was too stupid to see what they were doing. Are you kidding me??? Like Stewart said, this kind of stuff is boderline illegal. So I dont feel a whole lot of sympathy.

The point he made about his mother who's lost her 401k and the "2 markets" is so spot on. Theres this segment of America who buys the idea of long term investing and sound financial planning. Then theres the "real" stock market where people are running around doing all sorts of shady ****, and the honest people are the ones unwittingly financing it. Its a game, and people like Cramer and others are the ones who were on the inside. The rest of us? Forget it, we never stood a chance.
03-13-2009 10:17 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2009 10:17 AM)niuhuskie84 Wrote:  Of course Stewart set him up, but Cramer had to know what he was going into (although he honestly looked near tears at one point). Its not entirely fair he's being singled out, but he's an easy target and is basically the sacrificial lamb of the cable networks right now.

But all of the quotes you see where coming straight from the horses mouth. In the one clip He's explaining how he manipulated the market and how the SEC was too stupid to see what they were doing. Are you kidding me??? Like Stewart said, this kind of stuff is boderline illegal. So I dont feel a whole lot of sympathy.

The point he made about his mother who's lost her 401k and the "2 markets" is so spot on. Theres this segment of America who buys the idea of long term investing and sound financial planning. Then theres the "real" stock market where people are running around doing all sorts of shady ****, and the honest people are the ones unwittingly financing it. Its a game, and people like Cramer and others are the ones who were on the inside. The rest of us? Forget it, we never stood a chance.

I agree. Cramer and others are in it for the money. That is why investing is so hard. I always laugh about insider trading being illegal. They should make it legal and go to the Caveat Emptor mentality. The problem is by having groups like the SEC and others regulating this industry, insider trading and other illegal things happen all the time. The problem is, if they admitted that the rules and regs in place are not being enforced(see Madoff), people would be less likely to invest in the stock market and thus these people would not be making the huge sums of money.
03-13-2009 10:22 AM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
As far as ways to improve these types shows..I dont think you can. They're a plague.

That dosent mean its not possible to have an intelligent financial news show. Louis Rukeyser's Wall Street was a perfect example. He still managed to break the market and complex concepts down in a way that the general population would be able to understand. And he was incredibly witty and humurous, even when things were looking bad. For example, check out his show after the '87 crash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFn1G2goDQw

It was a scary time, but you didnt see him running around and yelling like a chicken with his head cut off (as everyone else is doing on cable shows today). He brought on the players in the industry, sat them down, and had an open, intelligent dialogue.

Its not hard to do. But like you said, intelligent and calm dosent get ratings.
03-13-2009 10:31 AM
Advertisement

GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
niuhuskie84 Wrote:Its not hard to do. But like you said, intelligent and calm dosent get ratings.

You referring to Cramer or Stewart?....

Cramer is a knob, a jag, a jerk, etc. But for Stewart to act like he's anything but a hack is disingenuous.
03-13-2009 10:42 AM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-13-2009 10:42 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
niuhuskie84 Wrote:Its not hard to do. But like you said, intelligent and calm dosent get ratings.

Cramer is a knob, a jag, a jerk, etc. But for Stewart to act like he's anything but a hack is disingenuous.

I was referring to Rukeyser.

But how can you even compare Stewart to Cramer or any other news show talking head? Its apples to oranges. The point is, Stewart is SATIRE. But sometimes when you watch these "news" shows, you cant even tell the difference.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2009 10:49 AM by niuhuskie84.)
03-13-2009 10:47 AM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
And a "hack"? How can you call him that when he is having this level of influence on the discussion? Jonathan Swift, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens - all those people used satire to make a political point - and they MADE A DIFFERENCE.

To belittle political satire as a mere "comedy" is just plain ignorant.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2009 10:51 AM by niuhuskie84.)
03-13-2009 10:50 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I did not go but look how much publicity Bill Maher and Ann Coulter got for their "Debate". It is called MONEY! These people care more about money then what they say. People like this have huge influence but are in it only for the money.

BOTH are blowhards that probably believe very little of what they say but say it because they make HUGE MONEY!!!
03-13-2009 11:05 AM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-13-2009 10:47 AM)niuhuskie84 Wrote:  
(03-13-2009 10:42 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  

I was referring to Rukeyser.

But how can you even compare Stewart to Cramer or any other news show talking head? Its apples to oranges. The point is, Stewart is SATIRE. But sometimes when you watch these "news" shows, you cant even tell the difference.

Which "news" shows? Like Hardball, where Obama excites Matthews so much that Matthews gets a tingle down his leg? ABC News, that employs ex-Clinton officials as reporters? Etc., etc.

Cramer has always been an idiot. Oh, and he was/is a Democrat, plus was a big Obama supporter. Stewart only picked this fight after Cramer came out and said negative things about Obama recently.

And, you are the one who called Stewart "the voice of reason." He's an Obama supporter, using his show to further his views. He's not satirizing both sides. He's certainly not reasonable.

That is why Stewart is a hack.
03-13-2009 11:08 AM
Advertisement

niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-13-2009 11:08 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  And, you are the one who called Stewart "the voice of reason." He's an Obama supporter, using his show to further his views. He's not satirizing both sides. He's certainly not reasonable.

If you watched the show, you would know that he lampoons the left just as much.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2009 11:13 AM by niuhuskie84.)
03-13-2009 11:12 AM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-13-2009 11:12 AM)niuhuskie84 Wrote:  
(03-13-2009 11:08 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  And, you are the one who called Stewart "the voice of reason." He's an Obama supporter, using his show to further his views. He's not satirizing both sides. He's certainly not reasonable.

If you watched the show, you would know that he lampoons the left just as much.

Did I miss when he had on Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and Rahm Emmanuel, screaming at them for their role in the housing debacle, like he screamed at Cramer, who merely is an overinflated talking head?

If I did, I really apologize.
03-13-2009 11:18 AM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Nice to occasionally witness talking heads coming from any point on the political spectrum getting their just rewards for being pompous arses.
03-13-2009 03:09 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

You know, Cramer isn't always wrong in his advice.

He has given good investing advice - the problem with giving that advice is that while even a broken clock is right twice a day, that still leaves a lot of bad time.....
03-13-2009 04:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.