Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
What rule changes would you like to see in College Basketball (Men's and/or Women's)?
UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
What rule changes would you like to see in College Basketball (Men's and/or Women's)?
1. Change the 1 year rule.

While the “one-and-done” rule has helped the college basketball, I’d like to see it changed to a “3 years or minor league” rule. In other words, high schools seniors would have to decide between playing in college or playing in the NBA D-League. If a kid decides to play in college, they would be ineligible for the NBA draft for three years. If a kid decides to go to the development league, they would be ineligible to play in college. IIRC, I believe college baseball and MLB have a similar agreement. I’d also set the “declare” date roughly 6 months before signing period is over so that coaches wouldn’t be too screwed by kids going pro at the last minute.

2. Reduce the shot clock from 35 seconds to 30 seconds.

In my opinion, the shot clock should be reduced to 30 seconds. Outside of high school basketball, men’s college basketball has the longest shot clock in basketball. Women’s college basketball and Canadian teams play with a 30 second shot clock while FIBA, the NBA, and WNBA all use a 24 second shot clock. Reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds would increase possessions and thus scoring opportunities. With a 35 second shot clock, there are a minimum of 68.57 possessions per game. With a thirty second shot clock, there would be a minimum of 80 possessions per game.

3. Charge/blocking fouls

I have no clue what the best way to fix this problem is (retrain refs, establish a no charge zone around the basket, etc), but in my opinion the charge/block rule needs to be changed in a big way. IMO, there are simple too many “Duke Flops” going on in college basketball.

Anyone else have things they'd like to change? Jump ball instead of possession arrow? NBA range 3 point line? Closely Guarded rule (5 second violation) applied to the back court?
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2008 02:16 AM by UofL07.)
12-17-2008 01:22 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CardFANATIC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL, Neb,OM, EWU
RE: What rule changes would you like to see in College Basketball?
In wbb I would move the line back to the men's line and institute a 10 sec. back court rule. Make the rules more standard with the men's. A lot of first time wbb watchers are confused when they see these things and can give them a negative connotation.
12-17-2008 02:09 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: What rule changes would you like to see in College Basketball (Men's and/or Women's)?
UofL07 Wrote:1. Change the 1 year rule.

While the “one-and-done” rule has helped the college basketball, I’d like to see it changed to a “3 years or minor league” rule. In other words, high schools seniors would have to decide between playing in college or playing in the NBA D-League. If a kid decides to play in college, they would be ineligible for the NBA draft for three years. If a kid decides to go to the development league, they would be ineligible to play in college. IIRC, I believe college baseball and MLB have a similar agreement. I’d also set the “declare” date roughly 6 months before signing period is over so that coaches wouldn’t be too screwed by kids going pro at the last minute.

I've always liked the MLB rule. You can go pro straight out of high school but if you go to college you're there for at least 3 years. This way colleges are not used by kids who have no desire to be there and have no intentions of graduating. It also allows the special players to play professionally right away. Lebron James would have been wasting his time in college. I hate the one year rule. I loved it when college teams had continuity and you knew who was going to be on a team from year to year. I don't think it's a coincidence that the really good teams are the ones who have kids stick around for 3+ years. Kansas, UNC, Florida a couple years ago. Even Memphis last year was a veteran team outside of Derrick Rose.
12-17-2008 01:25 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
RE: What rule changes would you like to see in College Basketball (Men's and/or Women's)?
1.) Add a 4pt line.
2.) Allow the ball to be played off the rim
3.) Don't stopped the play because of kicked balls
4.) Get rid of the possesion clock, jump ball for possesion
5.) Allow the players to play without having the jersey's tucked in.
6.) Afros are mandatory (players must stop cutting their hair after the first practice)
7.) Allow the NY stutter dribble, without calling travelling.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2008 01:45 PM by firmbizzle.)
12-17-2008 01:45 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Standardize the 3-point line so that no matter if you're a pro, or in college, male or female, the 3-point line is the same...
12-17-2008 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
bitcruncher Wrote:Standardize the 3-point line so that no matter if you're a pro, or in college, male or female, the 3-point line is the same...

I like tht suggestion but then the question becomes "what distance would you pick?"

FIBA 6.25 m (20' 6.25")
NBA an arc of 23'9" (7.24 m), which intersects with lines parallel to the sideline which are 22' (6.7 m) away at their closest point to the basket
WNBA 20' 6.25" (6.25 m)
NCAA Men 20'9" (6.325 m)
NCAA Women 19'9" (6.02 m)
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2008 02:27 PM by UofL07.)
12-17-2008 02:27 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Pick one. I could care less which... 07-coffee3
12-17-2008 02:36 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I would go the FIBA route on the 3 point line and also the FIBA sized court along with FIBA lanes during a foul shot. The world is passing the U.S. by and we have to make the adjustments starting in H.S. basketball to get it back to being a team game. Basketball in the U.S. relys on your athletic ability and 1 on 1 play. If we get back to being a team game then we'll see more teams like the 2008 Olympics team instead of the 2004 debacle.
12-17-2008 03:50 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
RE: What rule changes would you like to see in College Basketball (Men's and/or Women
animus Wrote:I would go the FIBA route on the 3 point line and also the FIBA sized court along with FIBA lanes during a foul shot. The world is passing the U.S. by and we have to make the adjustments starting in H.S. basketball to get it back to being a team game. Basketball in the U.S. relys on your athletic ability and 1 on 1 play. If we get back to being a team game then we'll see more teams like the 2008 Olympics team instead of the 2004 debacle.

I agree. I would like to move to the international court, too.
12-17-2008 09:44 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

What the hell...

[Image: goinsouth.jpg]

Fine by me...
12-18-2008 10:26 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
I want to see both men's and women's college basketball using the FIBA/WNBA three-point line of 6.25 meters (20' 6.25"). Actually ... I would like to see all of them be exactly 21' ... which is an even 6.40 meters. This way the distance is very simple to understand both for us and for the rest of the world.

I would also like to see both men's and women's college basketball using the 30-second shot clock and for the women to have a 10-second backcourt rule. There is no excuse for having different rules. Men can get off a shot five seconds sooner and women can drive the ball across the line in 10 seconds.
12-20-2008 02:05 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.