Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ABC Coverage Map this weekend - interesting..
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
ABC Coverage Map this weekend - interesting..
There is the VT-FSU game but it's not on in Boston? It doesn't appear it's going to be on ESPN2 either. Interesting.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story...gemaps2008
10-23-2008 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
RE: ABC Coverage Map this weekend - interesting..
It's not uncommon for Boston to receive something other than the ACC game on ABC. Largely because they are so far removed from the rest of the conference.
10-23-2008 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
I thought that was a reason the ACC invited them?
10-23-2008 03:18 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Where is the ABC Big East Saturday Game being shown?

I see conference games involving the Big 12, ACC, Big 10 and Pac 10.

SEC has their National Afternoon TV Game on CBS.

Where's the Big East Network Saturday coverage?

THAT'S the real problem.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2008 03:31 PM by KnightLight.)
10-23-2008 03:30 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
KnightLight Wrote:THAT'S the real problem.

Don't you think you're stating the obvious?

Anyway, you're putting down the Big East because.........?
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 06:26 AM by SoCalPanther.)
10-24-2008 06:25 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Hoquista Wrote:

You would be suprised to those that didn't know that the Big East was the only BCS Conf without Saturday afternoon Network TV Coverage.

Believe someone stated a week a go or so that ABC will not have ANY National/Regional Big East coverage till the week or two after Thanksgiving Weekend.

That is shocking for a BCS Conf.

That's all.

PS. Rest of this answer can be found on the Expansion Board.:muttering:
10-24-2008 07:51 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
UC played in an ABC regional game the 2nd week fo the year (at Oklahoma), so there has been some. Obviously that is something the Big East needs to work on.

I will say that the Big East GOTW is available on 33% of all TVs around the country, all over the air. They aren't the national ABC game, but they are ESPN+ games picked up in all the Big East cities and many non-BE cities at noon. It isn't ABC, but typically it is NBC, CBS, or Fox stations before their 3:30 matchups.
10-24-2008 09:13 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

mlb Wrote:UC played in an ABC regional game the 2nd week fo the year (at Oklahoma), so there has been some. Obviously that is something the Big East needs to work on.

The thing about that game is who the home team is. UC probably received a flat fee from the conference for being the visitor in a OOC home game on ABC, but they didn't receive any cash from the Big East's TV contract.

I'd like to see the conference accept no more than six non-Saturday games in a season, allowing for 3-4 Thursday nights and 1-2 Friday nights, and maybe an exception either for Labor Day (UK-UofL) or Thanksgiving Friday (Backyard Brawl). Maybe find a way to end the season earlier so the schedule isn't so spread out.

Conference controlled national TV games not played on Saturdays
2008: 13
2007: 12
2006: 10
2005: 8
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 09:28 AM by mattsarz.)
10-24-2008 09:23 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Of our three games tomorrow, one of them involves a dreadfully underperforming bottom feeder (no insult intended, RU fans, just calling as I see it).

I would have hoped UC/UConn would have received SOME national attention, though. Even USF/UL are both set up with winning records at this point. I think the problem there is that all four of those teams are still branded as “The BE Newbies”, and are not completely taken seriously at this point. IMO, USF/UL would have been a national TV game had UL not had a subpar season last year.

Edited – forgot SU doesn’t play tomorrow 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 10:19 AM by Ring of Black.)
10-24-2008 09:26 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:Of our four games tomorrow, two of them involve dreadfully underperforming bottom feeders (no insult intended, SU/RU fans, just calling as I see it).

I would have hoped UC/UConn would have received SOME national attention, though. Even USF/UL are both set up with winning records at this point. I think the problem there is that all four of those teams are still branded as “The BE Newbies”, and are not completely taken seriously at this point. IMO, USF/UL would have been a national TV game had UL not had a subpar season last year.

UConn-USF likely would be a ABC selection had it not been moved to Sunday night across from an NBC flex telecast. Indy-San Diego is currently the SNF game and might stick as the game (CAR-ATL, PHI-BAL, NYJ-TEN, MIN-JAC and NYG-ARI could be considered as flex options).
10-24-2008 09:33 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
UC-UConn would have received attention had not UConn and UC both come up short in games against BCS competition. UC can be forgiven, since they lost the original starter at QB in the game against Oklahoma. But UConn came up with a horrible performance against UNC. That's the reason...
10-24-2008 09:35 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Another thought... the 33% of the TVs that can receive the BE GOTW is most likely higher than at least 2 of the ABC regional games on that map. So while not getting the regional slot on ABC, the amount of publicity may be higher.
10-24-2008 09:36 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
KnightLight Wrote:
Hoquista Wrote:

You would be suprised to those that didn't know that the Big East was the only BCS Conf without Saturday afternoon Network TV Coverage.

Syracuse has played on abc every year as bad as they have been, including this year, and it was a BE home game. If I am not mistaken, the BE had 4 or 5 games broadcasted on abc last season. Mattsarz can probably confirm the number
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 09:54 AM by cuseroc.)
10-24-2008 09:49 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
cuseroc Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:
Hoquista Wrote:

Syracuse has played on abc every year as bad as they have been, including this year, and it was a BE home game. If I am not mistaken, the BE had 4 or 5 games broadcasted on abc last season. Mattsarz can probably confirm the number

But Syracuse continues to remain a draw to sports fans everywhere and that's a fact jack.
10-24-2008 10:07 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

It was five games last year, but I agree with KnightLight that the Big East is the most undercovered of the BCS AQ conferences when it comes to ABC.
10-24-2008 10:16 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
mattsarz Wrote:It was five games last year, but I agree with KnightLight that the Big East is the most undercovered of the BCS AQ conferences when it comes to ABC.

Do you mean 5 games broadcasted on the ESPN cable networks as opposed to ABC? Syracuse actually has kept its all-time TV game records (which proves that you really can keep statistics of everything):

http://www.suathletics.com/Sports/Footba...bygame.asp

Anyway, I was the one that made the point in a prior thread about the lack of Big East intra-conference games on the main channels of ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. ESPNU and ESPN Classic are in significantly fewer homes (i.e. on DirecTV, ESPNU is not a basic channel), while those games along with the ESPN Regional games get virtually no promotion from Bristol (i.e. you'll see tons of promos for the games on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 on SportsCenter, but the games on the other platforms might barely warrant a brief mention in conjunction with a laundry list of other games). As a result, there's a big difference between getting on the ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 level versus the ESPNU/ESPN Classic/ESPN Regional level. At the same time, the Big East appearances on ABC since the ACC expansion, with the exception of maybe one or two games per year (if any), almost entirely consist of games against marquee non-conference opponents such as Penn State, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame. The money from non-conference games is certainly green, but the issue is getting the top tier of networks to want to carry your conference games (you can act tough and demand it from the networks in contracts all day, but unless they actually find that it makes sense from a ratings and revenue standpoint, they're simply going to laugh off those demands). Otherwise, the perception is that ABC is only carrying your games when you're playing the Penn States of the world (which is no different than a MAC school getting on ABC every once in awhile when it plays a Big Ten school).
10-24-2008 11:04 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
brista21 Wrote:But Syracuse continues to remain a draw to sports fans everywhere and that's a fact jack.
Everybody loves a train wreck, especially if blood's involved... 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 11:11 AM by bitcruncher.)
10-24-2008 11:10 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Frank the Tank Wrote:At the same time, the Big East appearances on ABC since the ACC expansion, with the exception of maybe one or two games per year (if any), almost entirely consist of games against marquee non-conference opponents such as Penn State, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame.
Last year, there were, WVU-Rutgers, Cincinnati-USF, USF-UConn, right off the top of my head.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 11:55 AM by Ring of Black.)
10-24-2008 11:40 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
mattsarz Wrote:It was five games last year, but I agree with KnightLight that the Big East is the most undercovered of the BCS AQ conferences when it comes to ABC.

Agreed--KnightLight was spot on.

We need to get back to getting more exposure in the 3:30pm telecast. We need to grab a few more primetime slots too...8 teams is holding us back.
10-24-2008 11:50 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Some how BE has to get NBC or Fox doing games
10-24-2008 02:21 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.