Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Good for business"
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
"Good for business"
This whole "good for business" rationale, and "creates jobs" discussion that we have when it comes to politics and taxes, it's a red herring (all IMHO of course).

Back to fundamentals, the whole reason for being in business is to bring bucks in, spend as little as possible doing so (see "create jobs"), and keep the dough for yourself(s).

Give those breaks to a corporation, and it's "Katie bar the door". By their nature, they're not doing this for their health, assuming the risk (oh that's right, our laws make it pretty much risk free) and doing that work for the "better of their neighbors". They're in it for themselves, it's a zero sum game now, and we as people who aren't motivated to be so inclined, have been thrown into this mix like it, or not.

Obama and company would love to tell us it's going to be fixed by Uncle Sam, but they're painted in a corner, broke, and don't have the brain power to get us out of it with any tools they thought they could use in the past.

I think we're at the end of the curve when it comes to the transition, it was slow moving before, but now, changes are coming rapid, fast and not so sugar coated or palatable. There will no in between, either we adapt and survive, or we fail, sink or swim. I'm talking a complete shift as a society. Thoughts?
10-19-2008 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: "Good for business"
Problem today is same problem we had in 1932, DB. Folks lose confidence in the ability of government to solve the problem. And for good reason, they've borrowed so much over the decades we're tapped out on credit. There ARE NO easy answers anymore!

Anyway you look at it it's going to be a rough few years. The bank bailout will be a momentary blip on the radar screen. $ 700 Billion is a drop in the bucket to the world economy. Fed/Treasury are either fooling themselves or giving their buddies a golden parachute to get out before the plane crashes, take your pick.

Your point about adapting and surviving is right on. But don't trust or rely on the Guvment to get us out of this, they can't and won't. It's up to each of us to look after his own. I know I will be.

President Obama will become a meaningless face on the TV sets to most of us, ineffectual as far as solving our daily problems. But I'm sure his friends will make out ok.
10-19-2008 02:54 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
RE: "Good for business"
Quote:Fed/Treasury are either fooling themselves or giving their buddies a golden parachute to get out before the plane crashes, take your pick.

The way that things have played out these last eight to ten years, I'm going with the latter.

I can hear it now, "Ron, you don't expect us to go out there and (gulp) WORK do you?"
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2008 05:32 PM by DesertBronco.)
10-19-2008 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.