Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
UConn Football: Season Ticket Sales Up Slightly
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
UConn Football: Season Ticket Sales Up Slightly
After UConn's first and only bowl win in 2004, there was a pretty good spike in season ticket sales the following year.

Can the same be said after the Huskies earned a share of the Big East title in just their fourth conference season?

Not really.

Sales have risen from an estimated 26,000 in 2007 to 28,000 so far this year. But in 2005, coming off a Motor City Bowl victory, sales reached the school's current high water mark of 32,000 season tickets sold.
think we're pretty happy being over 2,000 from last year," said Mike Enright, the school's associate athletic director for communications.

School officials are certainly pleased with what the students have done. All 4,700 season tickets in their section of Rentschler Field — which seats 40,000 — have been sold.

The total of 28,000 represents only 4,000 more season tickets sold than when the $91.2 million stadium opened in 2003, a season in which the Huskies went 9-3.

They joined the Big East the next year and season ticket sales jumped by 4,000 to 28,000 — same as today.

In 2006, 30,000 season tickets were sold and the team finished 4-8. Maybe that's why the number of season tickets sold dropped to 26,000 in 2007.

In comparing where the Huskies stand vs. some of their conference brethren regarding attendance, Louisville officials said Tuesday that 36,000 season tickets have been sold for 42,000-seat Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

And the Cardinals are coming off their worst year (6-6) since a 1-10 showing in 1997.

Rutgers Stadium, which currently seats 42,000, is being expanded because of waiting lists. RU officials said they've sold 28,000 for the upcoming season — after an 8-5 year.

Financial and scheduling factors could be why UConn's season ticket sales aren't higher.

David Burke of Andover had been going to UConn games before Rentschler was built. Once the Huskies moved to their East Hartford home, he'd plop down $25 a game for himself and each member of his family and think nothing of it.

This year, however, he's outraged about the schedule and starting times, particularly the two weeknight home games — Thursday against Hofstra and Sept. 19, a Friday, against Baylor.

"I have two teenage boys and would love to go to a Saturday afternoon game, but you can't because they play on weeknights now," Burke said by phone Tuesday. "It's ridiculous."

Scheduling, for the most part, is dictated by television.

The exposure, not to mention the paychecks schools get from the networks, simply can't be passed up.

A big issue is that times of most games have yet to be determined. As Enright says, however, TV calls the shots.

But he said it was actually UConn's decision to play Hofstra on the Thursday before Labor Day, instead of Saturday.
"It's that last weekend of the summer," Enright said. "It's important to a lot of people, especially in New England."

But Burke wasn't buying that argument.

"It would be one thing if it was Sunday, but you're off on the Monday, so I don't know," he said.

Difficult economic times have probably played a part as well, though the face value of the tickets hasn't changed since the stadium opened: $40 for a club seat, $35 for a chairback and $25 for preferred and reserved.
But the donations required for some of the seating have changed a bit.

Chairback donations for season tickets, $600 in the first three-year cycle, went up to $650 in 2006 (plus the $25 per game).

In the preferred section, from the goal line to the 35, the donation required was $100 for the first three years. Now it's $150 plus the price of the ticket. There is no donation for reserved seating. At $25 a pop with no donation, a lot of those seats are still available.

=========================
Season Season tickets sold*
2003 24,000
2004 28,000
2005 32,000
2006 30,000
2007 26,000
2008 28,000
========================
Club seats
(inside, in tower): $40

Chairbacks
(between 35-yard lines): $35

Preferred (35 to end zone): $25

Reserved
(end zones, corners): $25

Season ticket prices are based on the number of home games multiplied by the ticket's face value. For 2008, six home games at $40 each equals $240. (UConn did not provide season ticket numbers by category.)

No. 2: The Donation
Each category — except reserved — requires an annual donation:

Club: $1,400

Chairback: $650

Preferred: $150

No. 3: The Cycle
The final piece of the season ticket cost puzzle is the three-year cycle. The current cycle began in 2006, so a fan buying a club seat in 2006 would have paid $1,400 for three seasons ($4,200) as well as $40 for each game.

In 2007, the donation was for two seasons ($2,800); in 2008, the donation covers one season ($1,400). A new three-year cycle, requiring a three-year donation commitment, begins in 2009.

Club: No Cheap Seat
The cost for a fan who purchased one club seat season ticket in 2006 and committed for three years:

Three-year donation: $4,200

2006 (7 games): $280

2007 (7 games): $280

2008 (6 games): $240

Total: $5,000
08-28-2008 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: UConn Football: Season Ticket Sales Up Slightly
They could go down again, if UConn doesn'r start playing better defense. You can't count on turnovers to bail you out all the time. Hofstra is moving the ball pretty good.

If UConn's D has trouble with Hofstra, what will they do when the Mountaineers come to town... 01-wingedeagle
08-28-2008 07:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
i see the score 14-0 uconn... keep it up so far so good.
08-28-2008 07:44 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
We need to fix a few things on O. However, rushing attack is there. Oline looks amazing. 21-0 with Donald Brown rushing at 128 yards before the half so far.
08-28-2008 07:51 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Offense is no problem, except maybe the play calling could be a bit more diversified. Of course, the way the Huskies are running the ball, they really don't need to. But the defense needs work...
08-28-2008 08:01 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
bitcruncher Wrote:Offense is no problem, except maybe the play calling could be a bit more diversified. Of course, the way the Huskies are running the ball, they really don't need to. But the defense needs work...
forget the defense look at the passing game its non existent. If they continue like this until BE play its gonna be a long season for the puppies.
08-28-2008 08:02 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
Cincy 26 E Kentucky 0 at halftime.

so far ani likes... keep it up B.E.
08-28-2008 08:03 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
28-0 uconn...
08-28-2008 08:04 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

UltimateCFBfan Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:Offense is no problem, except maybe the play calling could be a bit more diversified. Of course, the way the Huskies are running the ball, they really don't need to. But the defense needs work...
forget the defense look at the passing game its non existent. If they continue like this until BE play its gonna be a long season for the puppies.

Just don't choke when you guys play Fresno.

28-0. It is hard to tell cause it is only Hofstra. Who knows how focus those guys are.
08-28-2008 08:09 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
Um, it's 28-0. Our WR's have looked great after abn early rough start. Hofstra only has 99 yards of total offense right now.
08-28-2008 08:11 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

SF Husky Wrote:
UltimateCFBfan Wrote:

Pfft at least we are playing somone decent in the opener unlike the cupcakes Uconn has lined up this season. What are you guys opening up a bakery.

Uconn makes 10 easiest schedule list
08-28-2008 08:11 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

UltimateCFBfan Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:
UltimateCFBfan Wrote:

Pfft at least we are playing somone decent in the opener unlike the cupcakes Uconn has lined up this season. What are you guys opening up a bakery.

Wow RU fans talking trash about schedule. How pathetic. I guess we don't have powerhouses like Morgan State and Army on our schedule. BTW, 38-19 and it was not close.

Let's compare RU vs. UCONN OOC this year.

UCONN: Hofstra, Baylor, UNC, Virginia, Temple
RU: Morgan St, Army, Navy, UNC, Fresno

I don't know about you, I think RU got the easier road. At least UCONN is playing 3 BCS teams and RU only 1. Yet another dumb ass comment from another clueless RU fan. The ESPN list only proves the writer is clueless.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 08:35 PM by SF Husky.)
08-28-2008 08:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I'm going to wait and see on the passing game. The pass plays I've seen looked fairly effective, although that could be the defense they're facing. The true test will come when Virginia comes to town. I discount Temple.

If UConn loses to Temple, they can forget about being relevant in college football this year... 07-coffee3

As I'm about to post this, Lorenzon fires an interception at the goal line. Practice makes perfect... 03-banghead
08-28-2008 08:33 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

SF Husky Wrote:
UltimateCFBfan Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:
UltimateCFBfan Wrote:

Wow RU fans talking trash about schedule. How pathetic. I guess we don't have powerhouses like Morgan State and Army on our schedule. BTW, 38-19 and it was not close.
Um....dont get mad at me I didnt write the article. You got powerhouses Hofstra and Temple(who beat you last year) are much more challenging. We actually play a top 25 opponent out of conference unlike you. And nice to see you are still living in the past cause your gonna need it if your team plays like this.
08-28-2008 08:33 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The only reason Rutgers is playing Fresno is because the ACC chumps bailed. The Knights are actually playing a tougher opponent than originally scheduled.
08-28-2008 08:35 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
bitcruncher Wrote:I'm going to wait and see on the passing game. The pass plays I've seen looked fairly effective, although that could be the defense they're facing. The true test will come when Virginia comes to town. I discount Temple.

If UConn loses to Temple, they can forget about being relevant in college football this year... 07-coffee3

As I'm about to post this, Lorenzon fires an interception at the goal line. Practice makes perfect... 03-banghead

Ugly. Our passing game is as weak as ever. Thankfully our D is pretty good.
08-28-2008 08:41 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

bitcruncher Wrote:The only reason Rutgers is playing Fresno is because the ACC chumps bailed. The Knights are actually playing a tougher opponent than originally scheduled.

On top of that, UCONN got 6 home games while RU has 7. Any person can see RU got the easier schedule.
08-28-2008 08:42 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

uconnbaseball Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:I'm going to wait and see on the passing game. The pass plays I've seen looked fairly effective, although that could be the defense they're facing. The true test will come when Virginia comes to town. I discount Temple.

Ugly. Our passing game is as weak as ever. Thankfully our D is pretty good.

Time to bring out Fraser. I hope Edsall give the kid a chance. Lorenzon does not look so hot out there today. He threw 6 ints last year and already threw 2 today.
08-28-2008 08:43 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

SF Husky Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:The only reason Rutgers is playing Fresno is because the ACC chumps bailed. The Knights are actually playing a tougher opponent than originally scheduled.
Any person can see RU got the easier schedule.
haha.....Tell that to Mark Schlabach
08-28-2008 08:46 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

Three picks for Tyler and the passing game does not looking good for the huskies
08-28-2008 08:50 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.