Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big East football revenues
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
Big East football revenues
It is dissapointing that Big East football revenues are so far behind the other leagues.

To hear that the ACC DOUBLED their tv contract for football after the defections is mind boggling. Those three teams were not bringing in $12 -$17 million to the Big East for tv prior to them leaving-how could that be justified? And they also have a seperate contract with Raycom for many more millions?

I do not have the figures, but I believe that the Big East ratings on tv were better or at worse equivalent to the ratings for ACC football prior to the defections (and I believe after as well)
TV saw fit to deliver about a $15 million dollar contract for football. When three teams of eight left and one more was kicked out then the networks basically halved the contract to around $8 million --this even though the markets of Cincinnati, Tampa, and Louisville and the entire State of Connecticut were added meaning that the BE only really lost about 1/3 of previous markets if at all(Philadelphia remained as a market with villanova bb and football coverage and VT doesn't have a significant market to begin with--if you consider Virginia as VT's market then you would have to consider other parts of Ohio-like the nearby Dayton-Springfield metro area and surrounding areas of Kentucky and Indiana just outside of the metro area as part of Cincy's coverage area and I'm sure similar would be true of USF especially and even Louisville. My point : the BE didn't lose half it's viewership because the defectors left but were punished financially as so.

Now after several years of getting huge ratings for the networks and a bit of a bump to around $13 million I believe, the BE -which has 4 less teams than the ACC -is getting less than half the money that the ACC is getting for football. I'd like to see comparison tv ratings since the split as well because I don't believe they would be that different. It seems to me that if the ACC is getting around 30 million for their TV contracts then BE football is deserving of at least a $20 million contract and that's only if the BE is really way lower in ratings. In short the BE is probably getting ripped big time and needs to re-evaluate it's worth to tv.

The new comissioner should really work hard to address this as the money between the haves and have-nots is growing exponentially and the BE is quickly being left behind.
07-13-2008 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
RE: Big East football revenues
Dayton-Springfield is definitely Ohio State territory in football.
07-13-2008 09:38 PM
Pez Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
We own the Dayton market like the Clippers own Los Angeles.
07-13-2008 09:53 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
Remember that the BE's TV contract was UNDERVALUED while the ACC's TV contract was OVERVALUED at the time of expansion in 2003. The BE's last TV contract was signed at a time when the BE was down in FB and BB (Miami was on or just coming off probation). The BE certainly would have gotten a much bigger contract if the raid didn't happen. You also need to take into account market reach and pull. For example, can SU deliver more than just Syracuse? The BEs biggest TV draws (IIRC) were Miami and VT. Both could 'deliver' more than just Miami and Blackburg.

Also, the ACC's TV contract was based on potential and leverage to get that number. Who knows what will happen in their next TV contract but it won't help if BOTH FSU AND MIAMI are down when they start negotiating.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2008 05:52 AM by SoCalPanther.)
07-14-2008 05:51 AM
Advertisement

buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
Airport KC Wrote:Dayton-Springfield is definitely Ohio State territory in football.

The point remains the same however that Cincinnati has alumni and fans in other parts of Ohio and elsewhere besides the Cincy metro area. I'm certain that while many watch OSU in Dayton, they will also turn on a Cincinnati game if it's on.
07-14-2008 10:18 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Hoquista Wrote:Remember that the BE's TV contract was UNDERVALUED while the ACC's TV contract was OVERVALUED at the time of expansion in 2003. The BE's last TV contract was signed at a time when the BE was down in FB and BB (Miami was on or just coming off probation). The BE certainly would have gotten a much bigger contract if the raid didn't happen. You also need to take into account market reach and pull. For example, can SU deliver more than just Syracuse? The BEs biggest TV draws (IIRC) were Miami and VT. Both could 'deliver' more than just Miami and Blackburg.

Also, the ACC's TV contract was based on potential and leverage to get that number. Who knows what will happen in their next TV contract but it won't help if BOTH FSU AND MIAMI are down when they start negotiating.

The BE's biggest tv draws were Miami and Syracuse. VT came on later, but it was still Miami and Syracuse. Yes, Syracuse delivers more than just Syracuse. Buffalo, Rochester Syracuse and Albany, Schenectady, Utica, Rome are all markets that SU delivers. And a significant portion of NYC.
07-14-2008 11:58 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Bottom line...virtually every conference has seen their revenues RISE, including the Big East.

Remember, 4 out of the Big East Football members didn't even play BCS Football till 2004 (UCONN) and 2005 (USF, UL and Cinci).

Big East revenue will only go up in the future.
07-14-2008 12:05 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Airport KC Wrote:Dayton-Springfield is definitely Ohio State territory in football.

The Big East game of the week is aired on WRGT's .2 digital channel which is available on local cable and over the air here. No doubt that Ohio State is the college football force around here, but obviously there is some sort of local interest (the UC alumni association is probably 2nd largest in the area behind Ohio State, possibly Dayton).
07-15-2008 01:26 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.