Judge's official ruling: Duke sucks
06-20-2008 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

3rd Wise Man Offline
1st String

I Root For: X
RE: Judge's official ruling: Duke sucks
that is fantastically funny. that's a very innovative argument by duke. i must say i agree with the judge.
06-20-2008 07:48 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Yeah, but typical Duke that they would weasel their way out of paying the termination fee every other school pays when they cancel a game.
06-20-2008 08:11 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Duke was the worst team UConn played last year-clearly worse than Syracuse and Akron and probably worse than Maine. They need help, fast. Cutcliffe should change the culture there eventually, but let's see how many more double digit losses they can sustain there for humor purposes.
06-20-2008 08:29 PM
3rd Wise Man Offline
1st String

I Root For: X
duke's football team has finally won something. this could be the start of their turnaround.
06-20-2008 09:08 PM
Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
This is funny and all but it is a HUGE slap in the face for their players and coaches. They admitted in court that not only are they bad now but they anticipate being just as bad in the next 5 years. As a recruit why would you even consider taking that program seriously.

Given the money that Duke has at its fingertips why would you degrade yourself for $450,000.
06-20-2008 10:58 PM
Advertisement

Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
xubrew Wrote:that is fantastically funny. that's a very innovative argument by duke. i must say i agree with the judge.

Ditto. However, in the comments related to that article, someone pointed out that the ruling was not entirely fair to UL since the Cards would not be able to find such a sure win as Duke would have been. And if UL doesn't improve over last seasons disaster, then this could turn out to be a very relevant turn of events vis-a-vis bowl eligibility. It all depends on which seasons they were originally scheduled to play.
06-21-2008 01:47 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
This is the beginning of the end for Coach K at Duke. His legacy will suffer, unless he bails on them. I wonder what he will do?
06-21-2008 07:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
When the ACC was formed 53 years ago it was agreed by the University presidents (ACC) that they should de-emphasize football.
This took several years (Maryland won the NCAA football championship in 1953), but by the mid 60's ACC football was mired in mediocrity. South Carolina got mad about the policy and left the ACC in 1971 to continue to be mediocre by themselves.
Duke has clung to the original policy like glue. They still do not red shirt players. Most of the Duke people that I know now realize that their football program has to change.
Duke athletics (except football) are exceptional and is probably the 2nd best in the ACC. In fact over the last 10 years Carolina, Duke and UVa have won almost 60% of the men's and women's sports championships in the ACC.
06-21-2008 08:34 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Duke faces a long uphill battle if they plan to improve their program. With such a long history of futility, unless they could lure someone like Steve Spurrier to come back (and maybe he'd actually wait until Duke deserved a vote to give them one) it will take a long time to overcome their history. No recruits have ever seen Duke finish anything but last in the ACC during their lifespan. Only a coach with good name recognition, like Spurrier, could overcome that in a short time.
06-21-2008 08:41 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
bitcruncher Wrote:No recruits have ever seen Duke finish anything but last in the ACC during their lifespan. Only a coach with good name recognition, like Spurrier, could overcome that in a short time.

But almost every Duke recruit GRADUATES with a degree from Duke...and many end up making a ton more $$$$$$ using their Duke Degree(s) than what some do with their football careers.

Scholarship offer from Duke will still carry some weight, especially those with certain scholastic goals.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2008 09:15 AM by KnightLight.)
06-21-2008 09:14 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
KnightLight Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:No recruits have ever seen Duke finish anything but last in the ACC during their lifespan. Only a coach with good name recognition, like Spurrier, could overcome that in a short time.

But almost every Duke recruit GRADUATES with a degree from Duke...and many end up making a ton more $$$$$$ using their Duke Degree(s) than what some do with their football careers.

Scholarship offer from Duke will still carry some weight, especially those with certain scholastic goals.

As much as I hate to admit it, one can get a good education at "The University of New Jersey at Durham", and a scholarship worth more than $50K per year is really nothing to sneeze at.
06-21-2008 12:24 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I didn't need a circuit judge to tell me this......I pretty much had this one figured out all by my lonesome......
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2008 03:59 PM by Bearcats#1.)
06-21-2008 03:58 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
It's always nice to see Louisville get shafted.
06-21-2008 05:46 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

However, most of your better athletes aren't smart enough to figure that out.
06-21-2008 05:46 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

bitcruncher Wrote:However, most of your better athletes aren't smart enough to figure that out.
Why do you think that is?
06-21-2008 05:49 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

They want to play in the SEC? 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2008 05:50 PM by bitcruncher.)
06-21-2008 05:50 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
Quote:When the ACC was formed 53 years ago it was agreed by the University presidents (ACC) that they should de-emphasize football.
The primary reason that the schools who formed the ACC left the Southern Conference in 1953 was a Southern Conference ban on postseason play, primarily football bowls. The first two schools to leave the Southern Conference were Clemson and Maryland. I assure you that in 1952 neither Clemson or Maryland were willing to de-emphasize football.

Quote:South Carolina got mad about the policy and left the ACC in 1971 to continue to be mediocre by themselves.
South Carolina got mad and left because of academic restrictions for all athletes. There was also a lot of bad blood between South Carolina and North Carolina in basketball. Also South Carolina at the time had a solid basketball program that because of ACC rules had been shut out of the post season several times.

Quote:Duke has clung to the original policy like glue. They still do not red shirt players. Most of the Duke people that I know now realize that their football program has to change.
Wrong.

Kyle Hill bio

Quote: Kyle Hill
# 79
Offensive Tackle - OT
Height: 6-6 Weight: 270
Redshirt Freshman
Previous Affiliations
Boone
Orlando, Fla.
There are 11 more players listed as RSFR on the 2008 Duke roster page.

Vince Oghobaase bio page
DT who redshirted in 2005

Abraham Kromah bio
LB who redshirted in 2006

Maybe in the future you'll do some research before you go around spouting off Tarhole myths and urban legends.

IMO the biggest reason Duke has allowed their football program to die a slow, lingering death is the fact that their demographics have changed from primarily a southern student base to more of a northeast student base. Northeasterners have always tended to be more into college basketball and pro football, whereas the southerners have tended to be more into college football.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2008 01:57 AM by catdaddy_2402.)
06-22-2008 01:53 AM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
Native Georgian Wrote:It's always nice to see Louisville get shafted.

Bitter much?
06-22-2008 02:43 AM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

Not really. But if I had to pick one school in the country to see this-- Duke canceling the contract-- happen to, Louisville would definitely be it.
06-22-2008 07:57 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.