Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Future of Big East
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Future of Big East
Well since it has been well documented that the main reason the league stayed in its current make-up was the uncertainty of the league mantaining its automatic BCS slot.
and that at the recent BCS meetings the Big East as well as the other BCS leagues passed the 4 year period of qualification. No big fuzz was made about it or that the Big East did not belong. So with the new BCS deal lasting till 2013.

The question becomes will there be any changes?

We know how many feel on this board but I think with the main reason for sticking together being answered. There could at the very least studies on possible options.
05-07-2008 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
RE: Future of Big East
Well... the BE TV contract also runs out in 2013.

Coincidence?

05-stirthepot
05-07-2008 04:06 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Im sure TV contract could be renegotiated and IF any changes were to occur i would bet those renegotiations would be taken into ccount
05-07-2008 04:10 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I bet there's a clause in the contract for re-negotiation in case of a split prior to 2013.
05-07-2008 04:17 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
Yes there are composition clauses. My comments was more of a tongue in cheek remark.
05-07-2008 04:17 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
they will investigate, but not seriously until someone shows them the money, more money than current set up.
05-07-2008 04:23 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
i can't see the split happening. if it was going to happen we would hear the split wardrums in the media. i would like to see it happen. but at this point i see the current setup for a while... it sux. but it is wat it is.
05-07-2008 09:03 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Hoquista Wrote:Well... the BE TV contract also runs out in 2013.

Coincidence?

05-stirthepot

Probably. 03-wink

But I've got a feeling the BE football presidents are in no rush to split and will wait it out.

We'll know more later this month at the BE meetings. If the BE decide to form a men's lacrosse league, I'd say that is a clear signal that Syracuse and Rutgers thinks the conglomeration is going to last beyond 2010.

Cheers,
Neil
05-07-2008 10:17 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
i just hope Memphis is part of that future...

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
05-08-2008 01:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
They may want to wait until 2013. But events may push matters to a head sooner. You never know what's around the bend...
05-08-2008 06:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I have been around the bend.. and know exactly what is there.. a big hill to climb.
05-08-2008 07:45 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
ArmyMike raised an excellent point in the other massive, mind-boggling thread.....

What if the football schools go to the basketball onlys and say "Add Memphis or we split"? What are the basketball schools going to say? Does anyone really believe that the basketball schools are going to say go ahead and split? It would only take one of the 8 basketball schools to side with the football schools.
Schools like Providence and Seton Hall would look at the big picture while Georgetown and Villanova might try to stand pat. The Friars and Pirates know that it would be in their best interest to pick-up another quality basketball opponent and split the huge Big East basketball contract 17 ways than to spilt a much smaller basketball contract 8 ways. All indications are that if the Big East did add Memphis the conference could go back to ESPN and say give us more money.
If the rumours that credible Memphis posters like 3601 mentioned in the other thread are indeed accurate than I can see something like this happening.
CJ
05-08-2008 09:00 AM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CardinalJim Wrote:ArmyMike raised an excellent point in the other massive, mind-boggling thread.....

What if the football schools go to the basketball onlys and say "Add Memphis or we split"? What are the basketball schools going to say? Does anyone really believe that the basketball schools are going to say go ahead and split? It would only take one of the 8 basketball schools to side with the football schools.
Schools like Providence and Seton Hall would look at the big picture while Georgetown and Villanova might try to stand pat. The Friars and Pirates know that it would be in their best interest to pick-up another quality basketball opponent and split the huge Big East basketball contract 17 ways than to spilt a much smaller basketball contract 8 ways. All indications are that if the Big East did add Memphis the conference could go back to ESPN and say give us more money.
If the rumours that credible Memphis posters like 3601 mentioned in the other thread are indeed accurate than I can see something like this happening.
CJ

First, I think they need a super majority to expand.

Second, there is little or no financial reason to add Memphis. What were the average BE payouts last year? $7 million for a football school? Isn't it going up next year under the new contract? Do you think adding a school like Memphis would increase the BE contract enough to offset the extra piece of the pie? No way. Memphis' football program has little or no value. The Liberty Bowl is nice, but a second tier bowl is a break even event for BCS schools (TT lost $200,000 on its Gator Bowl trip last year). Further, adding the Memphis hoops program to the BE doesn't justify that much additional cash, especially considering that ESPN can broadcast as many Memphis games as it wants under the CUSA contract for a fraction of the price.

Finally, while some fans want a split, I think the BE Presidents are overjoyed with the conference. Revenue is up. Getting a full BCS share with only 8 members is a windfall. The football programs are thriving. The hoops conference is generally regarded as the best. Schools have marketing access to new areas of the country. Given the comments at basketball games, I know that Pitt and Georgetown alums in Milwaukee are pretty happy they can see their schools every year. Until someone convinces the Presidents of the football schools that they are losing money in the 16 team conference (and it may happen one day), I don't see a split.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2008 10:07 AM by MU88.)
05-08-2008 10:06 AM
gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:
MU88 Wrote:
CardinalJim Wrote:ArmyMike raised an excellent point in the other massive, mind-boggling thread.....

CJ

First, I think they need a super majority to expand.

Second, there is little or no financial reason to add Memphis. What were the average BE payouts last year? $7 million for a football school? Isn't it going up next year under the new contract? Do you think adding a school like Memphis would increase the BE contract enough to offset the extra piece of the pie? No way. Memphis' football program has little or no value. The Liberty Bowl is nice, but a second tier bowl is a break even event for BCS schools (TT lost $200,000 on its Gator Bowl trip last year). Further, adding the Memphis hoops program to the BE doesn't justify that much additional cash, especially considering that ESPN can broadcast as many Memphis games as it wants under the CUSA contract for a fraction of the price.

Finally, while some fans want a split, I think the BE Presidents are overjoyed with the conference. Revenue is up. Getting a full BCS share with only 8 members is a windfall. The football programs are thriving. The hoops conference is generally regarded as the best. Schools have marketing access to new areas of the country. Given the comments at basketball games, I know that Pitt and Georgetown alums in Milwaukee are pretty happy they can see their schools every year. Until someone convinces the Presidents of the football schools that they are losing money in the 16 team conference (and it may happen one day), I don't see a split.
Wow! Pure speculation on your part. Funny, that a bb school knows anything about fb when they dont play. In today's college sports, it is football that attracts high dollar corporate sponsorship and not bb. Name one sponsor you have for basketball only? The fact is the bb schools would lose alot of sponsorship is a split happens and if the fb schools says add Memphis or we're leaving, I bet they would add them. Even with ND staying with the bb schools, the big east would be down graded to mid major because of the lack of fb. The big east without fb would be no different than any other bb conference.
05-08-2008 10:52 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
I can't understand why the "basketball schools" want to hang on to the "football schools" anyway (or vice versa).
05-08-2008 11:02 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Whatever happens...(split, expansion, etc...) will most likely be announced in 2011...as its fairly normal to give new teams almost 2 years in advance notice about future invites and/or to help market a new conference.

Plus...most teams can leave certain conferences if they give 12-18 months noticed...vs they are penalized if the leave in a shorter time.

If new teams from somewhat lower conferences are invite (like back in the Fall of 2003 for the "new" Big East), an advanced invite lets those teams have at least 2 recruiting classes prior to their first ever games in said conf.

2011 will be the "magical" year...and if something GOES DOWN...it will most likely be announced in 2011...but won't take effect till July 1, 2013 when tv conf contracts are set to expire.

Plus...it would give each of the 2 "new" conferences almost 18-24 months to make plans for their conferences to succeed come a split by July 1, 2013.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2008 04:09 PM by KnightLight.)
05-08-2008 11:21 AM
Advertisement

gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:
KnightLight Wrote:Whatever happens...(split, expansion, etc...) will most likely be announced in 2011...as its fairly normal to give new teams almost 2 years in advance notice about future invites and/or to help market a new conference.

Plus...most teams can leave certain conferences if they give 12-18 months noticed...vs they are penalized if the leave in a shorter time.

If new teams from somewhat lower conferences are invite (like back in the Fall of 2003 for the "new" Big East), an advanced invite lets those teams have at least 2 recruiting classes prior to their first ever games in said conf.

2011 will be the "magical" year...and if something GOES DOWN...it will most likely be announced in 2011...but won't take effect till July 1, 2013 when tv conf contracts are set to expire.
That will be only if the "get out of jail" card is extended. If not, then it will be earlier.
05-08-2008 11:24 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
MU88 Wrote:First, I think they need a super majority to expand.

First of all, if you need a "super majority" to expand than why are the basketball onlys so concerned about the football schools doing something to help their schedule problems by addiing a "football" school. All you ever hear about is that the basketball schools want to maintain the 8-8 balance.
Why? Why maintain a balance that in relative terms isn't truly a balance anyway? The power in the conference lies with the football playing schools. I'm sure the basketball onlys know even if their fans don't.
Let's face it...if the football schools wanted to force the issue they could. The basketball onlys need the football schools more than they are needed. The football schools know this. That's why in EVERY Big East football market you have seen stories written about the problems the football schools have with scheduling. Do you think it's just some coincedence that you see the same stories coming out off all of the football schools?
If the basketball schools truly want to keep the conference together and secure their financial futures, they'll offer a compromise to the football schools. If not the football schools will issue an ultimatium.
You can talk all you want about dollars but if Big East football schools can't find enough quality OOC games to fill out their home schedules they are going to suffer financial loses anyway. The Football Presidents already know this. Their Coaches and AD's have told them in person and in the media.
For all the blustering about the Big East being the best basketball conference, basketball money can't touch the money made in football.
To use TT as an example of college football is laughable. The Red Raiders don't travel well anywhere, ecspecially halfway across country.
Oh and about the Liberty Bowl being second tier, I'll take the Liberty Bowl ANY day before the other bowls the Big East presently has aside from the BCS and maybe the Gator. Hell we didn't even have the Gator last year. BTW if you have never been to the Liberty Bowl, don't knock. The weather might be dicey but the folks in Memphis put on a class bowl.
Bottomline is the basketball onlys need to concede something to keep the league together. My guess is they are smart and they will.
CJ
05-08-2008 11:47 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
XLance Wrote:I can't understand why the "basketball schools" want to hang on to the "football schools" anyway (or vice versa).

I guess you missed every basketball school conference game being broadcast on the ESPN family of networks last season. The A10 can't exactly equal that feat and neither could the basketball onlies on their own.

UNCC is a great example of this. They were a consistent top 25 program when affiliated with CUSA. They had great games with Louisville, Cincy and Memphis. They lose that affiliation with a 'year round' conference and they are adrift amongst the mid-majors, just another face in the crowd and it's undeniable their flag has fallen.
05-08-2008 12:22 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
XLance Wrote:I can't understand why the "basketball schools" want to hang on to the "football schools" anyway (or vice versa).

As pointed out by L-Yes, the basketball schools have nice markets thanks to Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's and DePaul - but they need to be good AND play teams with 'national pull' to make it TV.

Check out the national games involving Nova and GT to see this concept in play. Very few bb school vs. bb school.

Cheers,
Neil
05-08-2008 12:44 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.