Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Tennessee-Memphis game was most watched college BB game in ESPN history!
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Tennessee-Memphis game was most watched college BB game in ESPN history!
I was shocked when I read that. Before I get the obligatory "what does this have to do with the Big East?" posts, keep in mind that there has been MUCH discussion on this board regarding TV ratings in general and Memphis TV ratings in particular.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/200...pn-record/
02-26-2008 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
RE: Tennessee-Memphis game was most watched college BB game in ESPN history!
3601 Wrote:I was shocked when I read that. Before I get the obligatory "what does this have to do with the Big East?" posts, keep in mind that there has been MUCH discussion on this board regarding TV ratings in general and Memphis TV ratings in particular.

That was just a great game. The only disappointing thing about it was the final score.

The Tigers have a lot of support on this board to be added to the Big East assuming no other BCS team is interested.

But I just don't see it happening unless there is a split.

Hope the Big East presidents can make the tough decisions.

Maybe ESPN now has an incentive to try and nudge things in the right direction. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
02-26-2008 06:30 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

omnicarrier Wrote:But I just don't see it happening unless there is a split.

I agree, but I still think adding another full member makes sense if you're not going to split.

9 football playing schools gives you an 8 game round robin schedule

17 basketball playing schools gives you a 16 game round robin scheudule. You play everyone once. That puts everyone on the same level. As a Syracuse fan, is it fair for you to be playing Georgetown twice and have Rutgers playing USF twice? What if you and Rutgers are competing for the conference championship. They definitely have a scheduling advantage over you.

What if they decided to do the same thing for football just to add an 8th conference football game? What if Syracuse had to play WVU twice. That wouldn't be very fair, would it?

Anyway, what I think doesn't matter. I'm just ready for March Madness.
02-26-2008 06:47 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
3601 Wrote:I was shocked when I read that. Before I get the obligatory "what does this have to do with the Big East?" posts, keep in mind that there has been MUCH discussion on this board regarding TV ratings in general and Memphis TV ratings in particular.

No need to apologize. It was a GREAT game to watch. Memphis is just a fun team to see play.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2008 07:55 PM by CyberBull.)
02-26-2008 07:55 PM
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
You made good case so far until you mention 17 teams.
02-26-2008 07:56 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
would make fb 9, bb8, BE no like
02-26-2008 08:13 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

SO#1 Wrote:You made good case so far until you mention 17 teams.

Going from 16 to 17 is like Rosie O'Donnell gaining 10 pounds. Who would notice?
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2008 08:34 PM by 3601.)
02-26-2008 08:34 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Other than a split, Memphis as the 17th team is most acceptable. EXCEPT: 1. It tilts the scales in the favor of the football school, and 2. Memphis is in the south, and well... you know the rest.
02-26-2008 09:13 PM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
army56mike Wrote:EXCEPT: 1. It tilts the scales in the favor of the football school,

This is a point that continually gets overlooked.

Why didn’t The Goose just replace the three football schools that left with just three other football schools? Why did The Goose invite Marquette and Depaul to “make things even” in his basketball-first mind?

The answer is obvious; he was just covering his butt in case there is a split coming up.

But what sucks is The Goose continually keeps trying dissuade any talk of expansion\spilt, but he created this 16-team monster that none of the basketball coaches like, and also gave no wiggle-room for Big East football to expand without a splitting.
02-26-2008 09:46 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

It definitely seems as if there is no question that the "non-FB" schools don't want to be outnumbered.
02-26-2008 10:10 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Congrats on making history. Too bad the bad guys had to win. Just remember it's hard to beat an SEZ team anywhere when they bring their own refs.
I'd still take your Tigers in a rematch.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2008 10:54 PM by CardinalJim.)
02-26-2008 10:53 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

CardinalJim Wrote:Congrats on making history. Too bad the bad guys had to win. Just remember it's hard to beat an SEZ team anywhere when they bring their own refs.
CJ

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Vandy knocked off UT in Nashville tonight.

Luckily, it really won't hurt us. Cal called it an ego game. He's right. We'll still be the #1 overall seed if we take care of business in C-USA. It sucks to lose to an in-state rival, but I'll trade a February loss for a March win any day of the week.

Interesting stat...

10 of the last 11 NCAA champs lost a game in February. Florida lost to Tennessee each of the past two seasons and went on to win the NCAA championship both seasons.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2008 11:53 PM by 3601.)
02-26-2008 11:48 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
3601 Wrote:
CardinalJim Wrote:Congrats on making history. Too bad the bad guys had to win. Just remember it's hard to beat an SEZ team anywhere when they bring their own refs.
CJ

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Vandy knocked off UT in Nashville tonight.

Luckily, it really won't hurt us. Cal called it an ego game. He's right. We'll still be the #1 overall seed if we take care of business in C-USA. It sucks to lose to an in-state rival, but I'll trade a February loss for a March win any day of the week.

Interesting stat...

10 of the last 11 NCAA champs lost a game in February. Florida lost to Tennessee each of the past two seasons and went on to win the NCAA championship both seasons.

Congrats on a great game. However, I think any team will need luck to win the championship this year and all the right matchups. There are plenty of teams that can win the championship including several from the BE. UCONN in 2005 was way dominate but got beat by George Mason. Anything can happen in March Madness.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2008 01:59 AM by SF Husky.)
02-27-2008 01:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

SF Husky Wrote:
3601 Wrote:
CJ

Interesting stat...

Congrats on a great game. However, I think any team will need luck to win the championship this year and all the right matchups. There are plenty of teams that can win the championship including several from the BE. UCONN in 2005 was way dominate but got beat by George Mason. Anything can happen in March Madness.

I agree 100%. We could lose in the 2nd round if we don't play well. To win the National Championship you must be good and you've got to get lucky at some point along the way.
02-27-2008 10:21 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.