Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fox South Carolina Debates
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Fox South Carolina Debates
I came into this debate not having made up my mind. (Just knowing I've never liked my money going to the government, just for them to give it to people who they deem less fortunate. Let me decide who is deserving of my money. Therefore, not liking the whole of the democratic party.)

I was kinda pissed off at the treatment of Ron Paul. Not only the obvious aversion from the "moderators", but the snide remarks and disrespectful looks on the faces of other candidates. I can't imagine myself voting for a candidate who can't respect someone with differing views.

I came away from the debate seeing that Ron Paul could have been replaced with the Constitution.The only difference would be the excitement (and sometimes anger) in his voice. He couldn't believe that these other people aren't following the rules set for them, and appalled at the fact the country has let the Constitution be ignored for so long.

Thompson came off like an ass, Romney too. McCain propped up on the War in Iraq, oh wait, I think he called that "National Defense". Huckabee was too timid, and creepy. He smiled too much and sounded like he was inviting me in for a big old child molester's hug.

I think I'm voting for Paul. I don't know if he's "electable", but I figure that if enough people feel the same way I do ("Gov't get outta my life", "Gov't get outta other countries", "No free passes for illegals", "I'm young and don't want to pay SS"), then he'll be elected (then by default he'd be electable).
01-11-2008 12:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: Fox South Carolina Debates
here here!! :ncaabbs:
01-11-2008 01:05 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
FOX edited out the 'DO YOU HAVE ANY ELECTABILITY?' bit during the replay. Paul made them look stupid so they just edit it out... same old crap from Faux News
01-11-2008 01:18 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
You can call Ron Paul supporters conspiracy theorists and all that, but if you cant see the deliberate mistreatment of him by Fox News, you have to be out of your mind.
01-11-2008 01:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
You Paul fans won't like this.

Paul fans read at own risk
01-11-2008 06:56 AM

THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:You Paul fans won't like this.

Paul fans read at own risk

Ahhhh "The Weekly Standard". Much like "The National Review". That is -- a Bill O'Reilly in print.

If they thought he did awful -- rah rah in my book. Those are the people I want to tweak.
01-11-2008 07:14 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
BamaBlazer Wrote:FOX edited out the 'DO YOU HAVE ANY ELECTABILITY?' bit during the replay. Paul made them look stupid so they just edit it out... same old crap from Faux News

Fair and Balanced03-lmfao
01-11-2008 08:08 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I am not a Paul supporter, but I do think Fox treated him poorly. Absolutely uncalled for. Further Romney took a condescending tone with him at one point, really the only one to do so of the candidates, for the most part everyone else ignored him.

Question for Paul supporters, his positions are unique, his foreign policy is closest to the Democrats everything else is unique. Why not run as a Democrat or Independent where he may get treated differently (better)?
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2008 10:15 AM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
01-11-2008 08:14 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:Why not run as a Democrat or Independent where he may get treated differently (better)?
Because he feels the Republicabs have strayed from their roots and that he is the only one in the race with truly Republicans ideas
01-11-2008 10:02 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
I thought Dr. Pauls answer to the first question summed up why he could NEVER be elected president....It was a brilliant 2 minute explaination using Austrian economic theory that explained why we are NOW and HAVE been in a recession due to artificially low intrest rates caused by GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE in free market forces...There are very few people that actually are educated enough(including the other candidates) to even understand what he was talking about...It was as if someone had suddenly spoken in an unknown language...Its a shame...because he was correct in his assertion and nobody understood him.
01-11-2008 04:39 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Huckabee may have schooled Giuliani on foreign policy.

Huckabee questioned why we allowed Pakistan to use some of the $12billion in US aid to build up their military, which seemed like reasonable question. Giuliani said in a condescending tone, that's the point they didn't have enough military power to take on the Taliban.

well..

Pakistan president tells US to stay out

Does this sound like an ally?

Sounds more like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. We might very well end up fighting against forces armed with US $'s.
01-11-2008 08:33 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Fo Shizzle Wrote:I thought Dr. Pauls answer to the first question summed up why he could NEVER be elected president....It was a brilliant 2 minute explaination using Austrian economic theory that explained why we are NOW and HAVE been in a recession due to artificially low intrest rates caused by GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE in free market forces...There are very few people that actually are educated enough(including the other candidates) to even understand what he was talking about...It was as if someone had suddenly spoken in an unknown language...Its a shame...because he was correct in his assertion and nobody understood him.

Economic Theory is something that maybe 5% of the US population really understands. Joe Blow really only understands the mortgage note, the price of gasm, bread and milk.

The Fed will be cutting interest rates again soon. They have to in order to stabilize the ARM crisis.

You can't let interest rates go up in an election year. Can't piss off the voters

1. ARMs go up.. foreclosures happen.. people out on the streets.

2. Congress F'ed up big time on the 2005 "Bankruptcy reforms"...no longer consumer friendly, lots of red tape... and money that you could use to get current on the house note you have to pay the bankruptcy attorney.

3. If you let the subprimes go under, banks will go as well and you will have the equivalent of the mid-late 80's RTC but this time holding residential instead of commerical property.

4. Government has to regulate or at least stabilize the situation.. for the moment....

Not the best situation, but hey, we are fighting a war..
01-11-2008 08:49 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:Does this sound like an ally?

Sounds more like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. We might very well end up fighting against forces armed with US $'s.

From the story:

Musharraf warned in an interview published Friday that Pakistan would resist any unilateral military action by the United States against militants sheltering in its lawless, tribal regions close to the Afghan border.

"I challenge anybody coming into our mountains," he told Singapore's The Straits Times in the interview notable for its unusually strident language. "They would regret that day."

The Pakistan-Afghan border has long been considered a likely hiding place for al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and his top deputy Ayman al-Zawahri, as well as a staging ground for Taliban militants planning attacks on coalition forces in Afghanistan.

The New York Times reported last week that Washington was considering expanding the authority of the CIA and the U.S. military to launch aggressive covert operations within the tribal regions. Several U.S. presidential candidates have also hinted they would support unilateral action in the area.

Musharraf said U.S. troops would "certainly" be considered invaders if they set foot in the tribal regions without his permission.

This is all for Pakistani public consumption....

Delta, SEALS, CIA Paramilitary, Special Forces, have been running cross border operations into the Tribal regions since 2001-- with tacit permission of the Pakistani military.

It can't be an invasion if you come and go and nobody catches you on the "wrong" side of the border...
01-11-2008 08:58 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Rats. I missed the debate. I'm not surprised the other Repub candidates would be condescending to Ron Paul. I'm more of a Democrat, but when you start dismissing the views of another candidate, especially when they have a good grasp of actual economics and try to explain it, instead of catering to the whims of the population and telling them what they want to hear, then you know how our political situation got where it is.
01-12-2008 12:46 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
I think people are ignoring how well Thompson did in the debate. In my opinion he distinguished himself as THE conservative choice in that debate.

Unfortunately it's probably too little too late. Reagan is probably the last truly conservative president we'll have in this country for many many years.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2008 07:21 AM by Ninerfan1.)
01-12-2008 07:21 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Ninerfan1 Wrote:I think people are ignoring how well Thompson did in the debate. In my opinion he distinguished himself as THE conservative choice in that debate.

Unfortunately it's probably too little too late. Reagan is probably the last truly conservative president we'll have in this country for many many years.

Thompson ran a lazy campaign to date, it's too little too late. The Republicans need a skilled politician that will campaign vigorously till the end. That ain't Giuliani or Thompson. Giuliani thinks talking to the masses in small states is beneath him, Thompson thought he would automatically get the nomination.
01-12-2008 09:31 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
WMD Owl Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:I thought Dr. Pauls answer to the first question summed up why he could NEVER be elected president....It was a brilliant 2 minute explaination using Austrian economic theory that explained why we are NOW and HAVE been in a recession due to artificially low intrest rates caused by GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE in free market forces...There are very few people that actually are educated enough(including the other candidates) to even understand what he was talking about...It was as if someone had suddenly spoken in an unknown language...Its a shame...because he was correct in his assertion and nobody understood him.

Economic Theory is something that maybe 5% of the US population really understands. Joe Blow really only understands the mortgage note, the price of gasm, bread and milk.

The Fed will be cutting interest rates again soon. They have to in order to stabilize the ARM crisis.

You can't let interest rates go up in an election year. Can't piss off the voters

1. ARMs go up.. foreclosures happen.. people out on the streets.

2. Congress F'ed up big time on the 2005 "Bankruptcy reforms"...no longer consumer friendly, lots of red tape... and money that you could use to get current on the house note you have to pay the bankruptcy attorney.

3. If you let the subprimes go under, banks will go as well and you will have the equivalent of the mid-late 80's RTC but this time holding residential instead of commerical property.

4. Government has to regulate or at least stabilize the situation.. for the moment....

Not the best situation, but hey, we are fighting a war..

The piper has to be paid...lowering rates again will only make the this resession drag on longer and could lead to worse...We are not saving anything due to the devaluation of the dollar..Its better to spend than save a devalued currency...If we dont wise up we could be headed for a MAJOR resession that could last for more than the usual 6 to 8 months...There is way to much money available...The Fed is only prolonging the ineviditable.
01-12-2008 07:32 PM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
if George Allen was still alive politically, he'd be running away with this thing. Thompson filled his spot, looks too old and unhealthy, but is the most conservative of all of them and did well. He has to win SC or should drop out, which he knows.

the paul people should send Fox a gift basket, they could've crushed him and gave him a pass with the racist and Conspiracy mongering newsletters that went for over a decade under his name. Reasonable libertarians at CATO and Reason among others are rightly renouncing him and their support for him now.

in the above question, he again as usual misrepresents basic history of the US and the Republican party. Yes Taft was oppossed to NATO....because he thought it would undermine the United Nations we had just started. he also was a supporter of the Marshall plan and various military engagements. There was alot of paleo crankery that came out of the 1930's, "America First" period, which died a quick death on pearl harbor and WW2 and was basically ignored throughout the Cold war. the type of "UN" that is needed is one which the nations in it have similar interest and those interest being stated as requirement for membership. i.e. "League of Free nations".
01-14-2008 10:12 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
GGniner Wrote:if George Allen was still alive politically, he'd be running away with this thing. Thompson filled his spot, looks too old and unhealthy, but is the most conservative of all of them and did well. He has to win SC or should drop out, which he knows.

the paul people should send Fox a gift basket, they could've crushed him and gave him a pass with the racist and Conspiracy mongering newsletters that went for over a decade under his name. Reasonable libertarians at CATO and Reason among others are rightly renouncing him and their support for him now.

in the above question, he again as usual misrepresents basic history of the US and the Republican party. Yes Taft was oppossed to NATO....because he thought it would undermine the United Nations we had just started. he also was a supporter of the Marshall plan and various military engagements. There was alot of paleo crankery that came out of the 1930's, "America First" period, which died a quick death on pearl harbor and WW2 and was basically ignored throughout the Cold war. the type of "UN" that is needed is one which the nations in it have similar interest and those interest being stated as requirement for membership. i.e. "League of Free nations".

It obvious that this stuff will not go away..even though he has repeatedly denounced it...He is going to be railed as a kook even though the other candidates are slowing adopting his positons on the economy and interventionism....Keep in mind...He is NOT going away...He has a war chest to be in this until the convention..and lots of time to speak and spread what some think is kooky.
01-14-2008 04:25 PM

GGniner Wrote:the paul people should send Fox a gift basket, they could've crushed him and gave him a pass with the racist and Conspiracy mongering newsletters that went for over a decade under his name. Reasonable libertarians at CATO and Reason among others are rightly renouncing him and their support for him now.

1) I have YET to see any prominent Libertarian denounce him.
2) Regarding Faux ... oh please ... Fox has given a pass EVERY DEBATE to:
- Huckabee on increasing taxes
- Huckabee on allowing gov't service to illegals' children
- Huckabee on paroling
- Thompson on lobbying for pro-choice
- Thompson on Watergate
- Giuliani on his "freedom is authority" quote
- Giuliani on his cross dressing
- McCain on removing line sharing requirements from telcos
- McCain on McCain-Feingold
- McCain on McCain-Kennedy
- McCain on staying in Iraq 100+ years

It has been left up to the candidates to actually bring nearly all of the above up.

01-wingedeagle
01-14-2008 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.