Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who are your schools all-time greatest players
Bookmark and Share
erdaaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USU

Utah State's greatest 2 are actually very easy.

Merlin Olsen was the greatest Aggie Football player of all time. He played at USU and won the outland trophy in 1961, was inducted in to the college football hall of fame. He played in a record 14 straight Pro Bowls and was on the NFL's 75 year anniversary team. He also never missed a game in his NFL career.

<a href='http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=168' target='_blank'>http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.j...p?player_id=168</a>

The greatest basketball player at USU was Wayne Estes. He is the second leading scorer in USU, but averaged the most PPG at 26.7. He was a first team All American from 1963-1965. Tragically after scoring 48 points in a game and with only 8 games left in the 1965 hoops season, Wayne was killed by an electrical shock from a low hanging wire. He was attempting to help victims in an auto accident. He is the only person to ever be named an All-American after dying.

<a href='http://www.utahstate.usu.edu/issues/winter04/basket2.html' target='_blank'>http://www.utahstate.usu.edu/issues/winter...04/basket2.html</a>

Who are your greatest football and basketball players?
11-04-2005 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USU78 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

In case you don't remember Merlin and the Rams' Fearsome Foursome:

[Image: m-3507.jpg]

And here's Wayne Estes:

[Image: 7n88e849.jpg]
11-04-2005 02:23 PM
LATech95 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

Terry Bradshaw in football and Karl Malone in basketball. We have had quite a few in both sports, but these are without a doubt our greatest. If you want to count WNBA, we have so many impact players it is hard to narrow to just one, but I guess I would go with Teresa Witherspoon (T-spoon).
11-04-2005 02:57 PM
Vandal9570 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Idaho's probably go back to the 1950's and 1960's, when we were a member of the Pacific Coast Conference (now the Pac-10: Montana and Idaho were dropped and replaced after some time with the Arizona schools)

Basketball: Gus Johnson
<a href='http://idaho.scout.com/2/236182.html' target='_blank'>How Great was Gus Johnson?</a>
And we actually shared this one with BSU - Johnson did a year of junior college at Boise and a year of college at Idaho before becoming a pro player.
[Image: 81335_GJohnson2.JPG]

Football: Ray McDonald
Can't find any pictures or VandalVenue links, so some other, "seasoned" Vandals will have to cover this one... Runners-up for Vandal football would probably include Jerry Kramer and Wayne Walker.
11-04-2005 03:08 PM
USU78 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Vandal9570 Wrote:Idaho's probably go back to the 1950's and 1960's, when we were a member of the Pacific Coast Conference (now the Pac-10: Montana and Idaho were dropped and replaced after some time with the Arizona schools)

Basketball: Gus Johnson
<a href='http://idaho.scout.com/2/236182.html' target='_blank'>How Great was Gus Johnson?</a>
And we actually shared this one with BSU - Johnson did a year of junior college at Boise and a year of college at Idaho before becoming a pro player.
[Image: 81335_GJohnson2.JPG]

Football: Ray McDonald
Can't find any pictures or VandalVenue links, so some other, "seasoned" Vandals will have to cover this one... Runners-up for Vandal football would probably include Jerry Kramer and Wayne Walker.
Can't believe you forgot this guy:

[Image: jerry_kramer.jpg]
11-04-2005 03:22 PM
ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah State

LATech95 Wrote:If you want to count WNBA, we have so many impact players it is hard to narrow to just one, but I guess I would go with Teresa Witherspoon (T-spoon).
Speaking of the WNBA, Natalie Williams' father played for Utah St in 1969-70. His name is Nate Williams. He was an oustanding forward for the Aggies and took the Aggies to the elite 8 against John Wooden's UCLA team with Sidney Wicks and other greats. He sprained his ankle before that game and didn't play like he was capable of playing. I think Utah St would've beaten UCLA that year had he not sprained his ankle before the game.

here is a picture of Nate Williams today:
[Image: dsc_1411-lg.jpg]

Here's a blurb about him on Utah St's official site..
Quote:Nate Williams (1970-71)... Drafted by Cincinnati in 1971... Played in 642 games in the NBA and averaged 12.0 points and 3.8 rebounds per game in his career... Played for four different NBA teams... The 24th leading scorer in USU history with 1,080 points in two years... His 608 points in 1970 were the 10th most in USU history... Scored 45 points in a single game to tie for the fifth-best scoring game in school history... Pulled down 22 rebounds in one game to rank 10th on that list.
11-04-2005 03:24 PM
Advertisement

Dwayne From Minden Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LA TECH

Willie Roaf

[Image: roaf_w_w.jpg]
11-04-2005 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SJGregg Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

For San Jose State, here are my picks:

Football - Take your pick: Bill Walsh, Dick Vermiel, Pop Warner, Steve Deberg
Basketball - Ricky Berry (RIP)
Track - Tommie Smith and John Carlos
11-04-2005 03:27 PM
USU78 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Heeeeere's Terry!

[Image: (SC)Terry_Bradshaw_Photo.jpg]

And Karl "doin' what Karl Malone gotta do" Malone:

[Image: maloneshowoff.jpg]
11-04-2005 03:28 PM
Bench Warmer

The one and only T B

[Image: 3534536_7_1.jpg]
11-04-2005 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bench Warmer

Probably the best athlete ever to play at TECH

[Image: 90374395.jpg]
11-04-2005 03:33 PM
Advertisement

NavyBlueUSU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Didn't Terry Bradshaw's brother play for Utah State, atleast briefly? Seems like I recall it being said that Terry Bradshaw's brother, "had the biggest arm and biggest mouth to ever hit Logan".
11-04-2005 04:34 PM
nvspuds Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

At Nevada for football Probably Marion Motely NFL Hall of Fame*

Others of note.

Frank Hawkins
Charles Mann
Doug Betters
Brock Marion
Nate Burleson

Basketball Edgar Jones

Others of note..

Kirk Snyder
David Woods
Johnny High

Nick Fazekas may well end up the best ever for the Pack.

Baseball

Lyle Overbay

Others of note

Ryan Church
Chad Qualls
Chris Singleton

Golf

Kirk Tripplet...

Beer consumption as an undergrad

nvspuds...this may stir up considerable debate..

* These picks reflect only the view of nvspuds and are based on the aging spuds' faulty memory..
11-04-2005 04:52 PM
Bench Warmer

NavyBlueUSU Wrote:Didn't Terry Bradshaw's brother play for Utah State, atleast briefly? Seems like I recall it being said that Terry Bradshaw's brother, "had the biggest arm and biggest mouth to ever hit Logan".
Craig Bradshaw transferred from TECH to Utah St in the mid to late 70's...
11-04-2005 05:20 PM
Bench Warmer

David Segui is probably one of TECH's more well known baseball players -

[Image: DSegui.jpg]
11-04-2005 05:22 PM
Bench Warmer

And probably the NBA's nicest guy is TECH's own -

P J Brown

[Image: 8046.jpg]
11-04-2005 05:25 PM
Advertisement

ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah State

nvspuds Wrote:Chad Qualls
Chris Singleton
Being a White Sox fan, and baseball being my favorite sport, the name Chris Singleton gets me all warm inside. 04-bow I remember some good times when he played for the Sox. And, of course, Chad Qualls gave the White Sox some battles, this year, in the world series. 04-bow
11-04-2005 05:47 PM
Slapdad Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Don't forget Tony Zendejas (one of only 3 kickers to have a perfect season, going 17-17) and Derek Kennard, who anchored the Dallas Cowboy line during the super bowl years when you mention all-time great Nevada players.
11-05-2005 12:43 AM
nvspuds Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Slappy, absolutely..Those are two greats I forgot to mention..The spuds memory bank is sadly deteriorating in my declining years..
11-05-2005 11:06 AM
Slapdad Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Don't be so hard on yourself.....if it makes you feel any better, I think your memory has always been horrible, so you haven't lost a step.

Don't you remember having this conversation a few years ago as we fished for Salmon in Idaho?
11-06-2005 12:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.