Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Same ACC Event, New Table for O'Brien
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
Same ACC Event, New Table for O'Brien
PINEHURST, N.C. - Tom O'Brien became a regular representing Boston College in recent years at the Atlantic Coast Conference's three-day media extravaganza. He's back again this year, but this time he sat 20 yards away at a different table.

After making a rare intra-conference coaching jump, the former Eagles coach is settling in at division rival North Carolina State and dodging the distractions that accompanied his move.

"Once we get through this year, it'll be old hat," O'Brien said Monday.

The winningest coach in BC history left Chestnut Hill after a decade there to take over a Wolfpack program that flaunted a lack of discipline and floundered to a 3-9 finish last season under Chuck Amato.

And in a new-look ACC that features a new high-priced, big-name coach (North Carolina's Butch Davis) and a disciplinarian promoted from within (Miami's Randy Shannon), perhaps the most intriguing hire was made by N.C. State, which wanted a proven winner and suddenly has a coach with a unique perspective on the league.

"Having been able to play in this conference for two years ... you have a pretty good idea of who's running what program and how they're running it," O'Brien said.

Except, of course, at the BC program he left to a rookie head coach. The team O'Brien left behind was picked to finish second behind Florida State in the Atlantic Division in the league's preseason media poll.

Meanwhile, his new club was selected to finish last again. O'Brien, who has never coached a cellar-dweller, even as he played walk-ons while rebuilding a Boston College program ravaged by a mid-1990s gambling scandal.

His worst career finish in the Big East was fifth, and in two seasons coaching the Eagles in the Atlantic Division, he never finished lower than tied for second.

"I think we can win a conference title, and if you can do that, you have a chance to win it all," O'Brien said. "That's where we're going to go. We've got to get there."

Naturally, that goal someday will require him to beat his former program. If O'Brien's old players harbor any lingering feelings of abandonment, they refused to say so.

"Any time there's a coaching change when things are going well, it is a bit of a surprise to players," BC quarterback Matt Ryan said. "I wish (O'Brien) the best. I have a lot of respect for Tom O'Brien and everything he did at BC, as well as the opportunity he presented me. ... It's different now that we have a new staff, and I'm excited to work with them."

New BC coach Jeff Jagodzinski sat a few first downs from the man he replaced and praised the ease with which his players handled the tricky coaching switch.

"It wasn't the least bit messy at all," Jagodzinski said. "It was the right time for me to do this. It was the right time for BC to do it, and it was really a good fit for everybody involved."

That doesn't mean there won't be any bitterness from jilted BC fans on Sept. 8 when O'Brien's first road game with the Wolfpack comes at Alumni Stadium against the Eagles.

"It's going to be an exciting day up in Boston," Ryan said. "I'm sure there will be some boos up there, but I'm sure he knows that everybody up there has a lot of respect for what he did at BC, the winningest coach in the history of the school and somebody his players have a tremendous amount of respect for."

O'Brien already completed one turnaround, guiding Boston College from shame to success and then through an awkward transition from the Big East to the ACC, compiling a 76-45 record in 10 seasons.

Now he's focused on doing it again, with an N.C. State team that hasn't won the ACC since 1979. He says the Wolfpack are in a better position to reverse their fortunes, mainly because he brought six assistants and two strength coaches from Boston College.

"Any time you're 3-9, you've got a lot of work to do," O'Brien said. "Those kids were embarrassed that they were 3-9 and they want to be a much better football team. They've worked extremely hard, and now it's up to us to coach them up and get them in the right spots so they can win."

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

http://www.casperstartribune.net/article...j7ung0.txt
07-24-2007 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Same ACC Event, New Table for O'Brien
I know some people won't agree with me, but I really believe O'Brien did a very underrated and underappreciated job at Boston College.
07-24-2007 09:28 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
CatsClaw Wrote:I know some people won't agree with me, but I really believe O'Brien did a very underrated and underappreciated job at Boston College.

I agree. I think that NC State will either be very, very good or very, very bad. He's a no nonsense disciplinarian with little sense of humor. It's going to be a different ship he runs than the wild crazy Amato ran, or didn't run, as the case may be. 03-wink

A lot of underachieving talent on that Wolfpack squad. They could prove to be dangerous.

Cheers,
Neil
07-24-2007 09:41 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
O'Brien's a class A *******, but I won't argue with his coaching ability. He is a winner. He won at BC and I think they will soon realize that his tenure might be the high water mark for BC. I wouldn't mind seeing him beaten like the red headed step child he is though.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2007 09:51 PM by Shannon Panther.)
07-24-2007 09:50 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
omnicarrier Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:I know some people won't agree with me, but I really believe O'Brien did a very underrated and underappreciated job at Boston College.
I agree. I think that NC State will either be very, very good or very, very bad. He's a no nonsense disciplinarian with little sense of humor. It's going to be a different ship he runs than the wild crazy Amato ran, or didn't run, as the case may be. 03-wink

A lot of underachieving talent on that Wolfpack squad. They could prove to be dangerous.

Cheers,
Neil
NC State will improve under O'Brien, as much as I hate to admit it. He's a good coach, and did wonders at BC during his time there. It will take him a couple years to get things going, but NC State will be very competitive in the ACC.
Shannon Panther Wrote:O'Brien's a class A *******, but I won't argue with his coaching ability. He is a winner. He won at BC and I think they will soon realize that his tenure might be the high water mark for BC. I wouldn't mind seeing him beaten like the red headed step child he is though.
You're right about him being a first class *******, but jackasses work extremely hard all day long - even if you do need to hit them with a brick between the eyes to get their attention.
07-25-2007 07:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Shannon Panther Wrote:O'Brien's a class A *******, but I won't argue with his coaching ability. He is a winner. He won at BC and I think they will soon realize that his tenure might be the high water mark for BC. I wouldn't mind seeing him beaten like the red headed step child he is though.

-- I agree completly. I was suprised that the BC administration let him slip away and how the Eagle fans dislike him and marginalize his achievments. He did a good job a Chestnut Hill

Jackson
07-25-2007 07:55 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Won't be the same without him.
07-25-2007 01:23 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Jackson1011 Wrote:

-- I agree completly. I was suprised that the BC administration let him slip away and how the Eagle fans dislike him and marginalize his achievments. He did a good job a Chestnut Hill

Jackson

Yep, they let him slip away. But that didn't stop them from filing their third major complaint with the ACC office (in two years of being a member of that conference) for having another conference team woo their coach without getting proper permission first. 03-lmfao

In other words, they don't mind that he left, but they are mad it was another team within the conference that lured him away.

Cheers,
Neil
07-25-2007 01:29 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Ain't family a wonderful thing? 03-lmfao
07-25-2007 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.