Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Looking at College Football Live something bizarre
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Looking at College Football Live something bizarre
They're doing a preview for the upcoming season and Lee Corso goes off on a rant about the Big Ten needing to catch up to the 21st century and pushing for them to add Missouri as the 12th team and play a championship game. That was kind of surreal.
07-23-2007 06:35 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Looking at College Football Live something bizarre
I could care less what Lee Corso says. He's usually wrong.
07-23-2007 06:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

bitcruncher Wrote:I could care less what Lee Corso says. He's usually wrong.

That is completely true, can't argue with that. But I found it kind of shocking that someone on television, especially ESPN, openly talked about not only adding a team to a conference, but one that has been rumored to go to the Big Ten for years.
07-23-2007 06:49 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I never quite understood the value of Missouri, as far as the B11 is concerned. They're better off waiting out ND.
07-23-2007 08:32 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Cat's Claw, did they say anything interesting about the Big East? I thought I heard Ray Rice was supposed to be on the show

Jackson
07-23-2007 09:30 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
BJUnklFkr Wrote:I never quite understood the value of Missouri, as far as the B11 is concerned. They're better off waiting out ND.

Depends on how long they have to wait. At this point, it looks like ND has no interest in any conference affiliation beyond the present symbiotic relationship with the BE. Missouri would be a nice fit for the Big 10 in a lot of ways.
07-24-2007 11:38 AM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
If TV markets are as big a deal as everyone says, then Missouri is a sound choice. You get St. Louis and Kansas City.
07-24-2007 12:24 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
MichaelSavage Wrote:If TV markets are as big a deal as everyone says, then Missouri is a sound choice. You get St. Louis and Kansas City.

I can only hope the Big Ten is stupid enough to take Missouri.

I'll be jumping for joy on that day. 02-13-banana

Cheers,
Neil
07-24-2007 12:35 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Gray Avenger Wrote:
BJUnklFkr Wrote:I never quite understood the value of Missouri, as far as the B11 is concerned. They're better off waiting out ND.
Depends on how long they have to wait. At this point, it looks like ND has no interest in any conference affiliation beyond the present symbiotic relationship with the BE. Missouri would be a nice fit for the Big 10 in a lot of ways.
Before Mizzou can join the Big 10 they'll need to pay their exit fee from the Big 12 and pay entrance fee into the Big 10. That may dissuade them from switching leagues.

Also, Missouri hasn't been too competitive in the Big 12. Do you really think they'll move over and be able to win as many games as they did in the Big 12? I don't think so. Big 10 competition is much stiffer than they face presently.

They'd fit regionally. But will they wish to migrate? [Image: dontknow.gif]
07-24-2007 12:45 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
bitcruncher Wrote:
Gray Avenger Wrote:
Before Mizzou can join the Big 10 they'll need to pay their exit fee from the Big 12 and pay entrance fee into the Big 10. That may dissuade them from switching leagues.

Also, Missouri hasn't been too competitive in the Big 12. Do you really think they'll move over and be able to win as many games as they did in the Big 12? I don't think so. Big 10 competition is much stiffer than they face presently.

They'd fit regionally. But will they wish to migrate? [Image: dontknow.gif]

Exit fees will remain a concern, but I doubt entry fees will with the changing college athletic landscape.

Big Ten to Mizzou "You bring with you approximately 11 million in revenue a year for our BTN, so we will take your entry fee from that pot of money".

Cheers,
Neil
07-24-2007 01:07 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
omnicarrier Wrote:
MichaelSavage Wrote:If TV markets are as big a deal as everyone says, then Missouri is a sound choice. You get St. Louis and Kansas City.

Cheers,
Neil

If the numbers worked out, why would it be a stupid choice?
07-24-2007 01:49 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The only stupidity would be on the part of Mizzou. They'd be relegating themselves to second class citizenship in the Big 10.
07-24-2007 02:19 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Jackson1011 Wrote:Cat's Claw, did they say anything interesting about the Big East? I thought I heard Ray Rice was supposed to be on the show

Jackson

Not really, they didn't talk about alot of stuff because they only had a half hour unfortunately. They did hype Ray Rice as a Heisman candidate. The Big East has been getting heavily praised as having national title contenders and numerous Heisman candidates (Rice, Pat White, Steve Slaton and Brian Brohm).
07-24-2007 04:51 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

omnicarrier Wrote:

Cheers,
Neil

Me too, it would be perfect and end all of this conference expansion talk.

Someone mentioned Missouri going to the Big Ten as being stupid but I disagree. They fit in very well with the Big Ten. They're essentially second class citizens in the Big 12 right now anyway. The Big Ten is a midwest conference so Missouri would be at home. I think they're basketball program would improve more in the Big Ten then the Big 12 and they have a built in rivalry with Illinois. Football would be at home as well.
07-24-2007 04:54 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
MichaelSavage Wrote:
omnicarrier Wrote:

Cheers,
Neil

If the numbers worked out, why would it be a stupid choice?

And the Lord saith, what does it profit the Evil Empire to gain Missouri and lose Pennsylvania? 03-wink

The Big Ten has been promising Penn State a rival from day one. They are still waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Like I said, I can only hope the Big Ten is so stupid as to pick Missouri.

It's a win, win for the Big East. Either the Nits get really, really angry and say "Screw This! We're outta here!" or they roll over and play dead, in which case the Big East doesn't have to worry about losing Rutgers, Pitt, or Syracuse.

Cheers,
Neil
07-24-2007 05:21 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
there is no reason for the big 10+1 to do that.. and if u argue they should have to ... then the big 12 will have to add a replacement... and the pac 10 should have to add 2...and the BE should have to add 4.. none of that makes sense unless those conf wish to do so.
07-24-2007 07:42 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
If Mizzou went to the Big Televen are you sure they would gain the Kansas City market? KC is only a few miles from Kansas U. Maybe they have a bunch of fans there, though it is another state.
07-24-2007 07:58 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

goodknightfl Wrote:there is no reason for the big 10+1 to do that.. and if u argue they should have to ... then the big 12 will have to add a replacement... and the pac 10 should have to add 2...and the BE should have to add 4.. none of that makes sense unless those conf wish to do so.

Clearly the Big Ten is considering doing that because they have been looking at Missouri for several years now. There is no reason that the Pac-10 and Big East should have to do anything, let alone expand to 12.
07-24-2007 08:34 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

army56mike Wrote:If Mizzou went to the Big Televen are you sure they would gain the Kansas City market? KC is only a few miles from Kansas U. Maybe they have a bunch of fans there, though it is another state.

Actually the Big Ten already has a strong presence in the Kansas City and St. Louis markets, and Missouri would help lock that down. The Big Ten doesn't want Pitt or Syracuse because they feel they don't need the New York market and Pitt only adds a rival for Penn State, and, to be blunt, the Big Ten couldn't care less if Penn State was given a travel partner. The only reason the Big Ten would add Rutgers is because of academics. But the Big Ten is an arrogant conference, and as good as the above mentioned programs are the Big Ten is only going to add a new midwest market or Notre Dame.
07-24-2007 08:39 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
KC is mainly a KU town, but there are enough Mizzou fans for it to prosper. SL, on the other hand, probably much bigger Mizzou presence.
07-24-2007 09:15 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.