Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cuban trying to buy the Cubs
Bookmark and Share
CHoran24 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan & NIU
Cuban trying to buy the Cubs
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2934920

It will probably never happening, I can't see the other owners or Major League Baseball wanting Cuban to own the Cubs
07-13-2007 12:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Cuban trying to buy the Cubs
Too bad then because i think Mark Cuban is a good owner. He's heavily involved and wants to see his teams win.
07-13-2007 12:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flames24Rulz Offline
All American

I Root For: SIU and NIU
CHoran24 Wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2934920

It will probably never happening, I can't see the other owners or Major League Baseball wanting Cuban to own the Cubs

That and Selig would never allow it. Unfortunate 04-chairshot
07-13-2007 01:15 AM
Advertisement

NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I
The last thing MLB needs is a guy like Cuban owning a team.. he'll be just like Steinbrunner who tries to BUY championships every year.. those ridiculous contracts are bad for the game.
07-13-2007 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Selig I'm sure wants the Chicago real estate man to be the new owner.

Thing is...unlike other sales, the Cubs are owned by a publicly traded company- the Tribune Co has a responsibility to its shareholders to maximize what the team is sold for. So it may not go down in quite the way other recent deals have in baseball.
07-13-2007 11:00 AM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
NIUtrav09 Wrote:The last thing MLB needs is a guy like Cuban owning a team.. he'll be just like Steinbrunner who tries to BUY championships every year.. those ridiculous contracts are bad for the game.

He has never owned a team in which he can BUY a championship...the NBA has a salary cap, so no owner is buying a championship....

Those ridiculous contracts are bad for the game, but they will get worse as the years go by and no salary cap in baseball is put into place...The luxury tax rule is a bunch of BS, baseball needs a salary cap...

C'mon noone should be making $30 million a year to play a sport..

I want Cuban as the owner...He acts like he is a fan and not an owner...It would be great to see an owner sit in the front row by the on deck circle and cheer his team on...Plus w/ Cuban, he will give Z the money he wants...Thats all that I really want...if not Cuban, I'll take Colangelo as the owner...As long as dumb*** Selig's friend, whos name I cant remember, doens't get the team, I'll be happy.
07-13-2007 04:08 PM
Huskiepride Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU & the Cubs
NIUtrav09 Wrote:The last thing MLB needs is a guy like Cuban owning a team.. he'll be just like Steinbrunner who tries to BUY championships every year.. those ridiculous contracts are bad for the game.

The last thing MLB needs is a guy like Selig as the commissioner.
07-13-2007 04:52 PM
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
If Cuban did buy a championship maybe it would finally convince the MLB to have a salary cap and better revenue sharing so that more then 10 teams had a realistic shot of winning every year. Why do teams like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, etc.. even show up?
07-13-2007 05:09 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
HuskieFan84 Wrote:If Cuban did buy a championship maybe it would finally convince the MLB to have a salary cap and better revenue sharing so that more then 10 teams had a realistic shot of winning every year. Why do teams like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, etc.. even show up?

The current luxury tax system does alright but it could be strengthened. Detroit, Milwaukee, San Diego, Minnesota even Seattle show that teams that aren't in the biggest cities can compete if they're well run. Baseball is more competitive now than it was 10 years ago.

The real problem in Pittsburgh, Cincy, KC and so on is management- if you invest in player development and scouting- there's the ability to compete.
07-13-2007 06:30 PM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
The luxury tax system works, but its not gonna stop teams like the NYY, Boston and Anaheim. A salary cap or much harsher penalties are needed.

And small market teams, most of those, like DogTracks said is management issues...C'mon the Pirates traded Ramirez, Lofton and Simon to the Cubs for Jose Hernandez and scrap minor leaguers.
07-13-2007 07:14 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

I Root For: NIU
Before everybody starts whining about Selig, keep in mind Cuban's bid is apparently 625 million dollars right now. It's going to take AT LEAST 800 million, but more likely 900 million or even 1 billion dollars to be the highest bidder for a Cash Cow like the Cubs. The fact is, regardless what anybody says, the Cubs have one of the largest fans bases in sports and will draw tons of fans to the stadium even if they suck. Who wouldn't want a business like that??

Also, what has Mark Cuban ever won in the NBA? He has no NBA Titles and millions of dollars in fines and controversy. Very overrated as an owner IMO, the Cubs would be better off with a guy like Jerry Colangelo.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2007 07:58 PM by NIUHuskies86.)
07-13-2007 07:56 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
The Cubs/Tribune already spend LOTS of money on salary every year. That won't change much. Hopefully the difference will be the QUALITY of the players making those salaries. I would also like to see a World Series Championship before I die so I wish him the best.
07-13-2007 09:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.