Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

annual summer campus motor tour
Bookmark and Share
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
annual summer campus motor tour
Each summer I devote a lazy afternoon to driving around most every road on and around the campus to learn what's been fixed or added, what projects are underway and what remains untouched and needing attention.

There is much to enjoy and good reason to commend the leadership of the University the past decade for slowly transforming NIU into a more friendly environment.

Much, much more needs to be done. If athletics is said to be the front porch to a university, I also examined the back porch and found pluses, minuses and opportunities.

BTW: If you were watching AAPC cam at 2pm today you may have seen me standing in lower rows of section G West Stands watching crew tugging to position strips of carpeting. Some older dude was running then walking up and down the benches and I assume he was a coach but unfamiliar to me. A punter and snapper were repeatedly going thu what almost seemed zen like movements midfield...almost in slow motion, pausing and thinking each motion thru...

a report card follows tommorrow. For those long time forum members, alot of what I offer is recycled opinions. For newer members, I welcome their commentary as well.

If I had to select one overiding single theme or lasting impression from my drive in, around and thru campus this is what struck me.

It's getting tuffer to get to many campus destinations easily even without much campus activity occuring with new dead ends, one ways steets , right or left turns only , turnarounds, missing signage to direct motorists clearly etc.

I never did find the route to reach the new units N.W. of Convo for married students. There is the makings of a road from the far N.W. corner of the convo lot towards new units but it's impassable.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2007 09:26 AM by cyberdawg.)
07-11-2007 09:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: annual summer campus motor tour
a day late better than never .

Overall I grade NIU curb appeal at C+ and betting better. Some areas are A- while others a D+.

What I have always liked about the NIU campus is that most everything is located in one contiguous tract. No tacky shops, shoddy apartments or worn Greek Houses to be found intermingled throughout NIU but often are so at other large state schools.

If the grounds/landscaping to homes and offices provide visitors with first impressions, so do the grounds and buildings on a college campus. If we wish to attract more of the talented and discriminating student shooper, the NIU makeover needs to continue moving forward. There is so much potential for further improvements.

PLUSES/MINUSES:

The improvements in housing units along Lucinda removed worn buildings bordering the campus.

Glidden Road is the primary access/gateway to NIU. It's being widened as we speak and more commerce is under construction from the tollway to campus. The Mayberry RFD look when approaching NIU from I88 is disappearing. I'm hoping current construction is completed before move in day or the SIU game - or there could be a super logjam from I88 to NIU.

Roadways around West Campus dorms have improved but others remain dismal. The bus turnaround at the student center still remains an embarrassment. The badly burned and unshapened evergreens and ground cover is a sad greeting card to the center of campus. Think of it as the back door to NIU for visitors. Cruise Buses from all parts of Illinois were unloading there as I drove thru the turnaround.

Landscaping on West Campus Central Park is finally taking shape. Another decade should make it pleasing.

The new drive to the Castle across the Kish will be welcomed. The bridge from the Castle to Lincoln Hway is missing tiles and badly chipped.

At the very least it's good to find the once potholed parking lot east of fieldhouse redone. The new exit/entry is rather peculiar for flow of traffic - especially given the DuSable bus only turn around. You can only exit Evans lot going eastbound onto Lucinda or return back onto road between Graham and Evans. I should imagine several motorists may use parking lot of VCB to turn around & head west on Lucinda. Perhaps the design solved one traffic problem but created another.

Too bad more sculptures like the ones on East Campus and Barsema Visitors Center are not positioned elsewhere on campus.

The Union Pacific RR bridge remains a rusted eyesore.
First impressions are lasting ones.

There is a need for an electronic video bulletin board welcoming visitors upon crossing Lincoln before reaching AVC. This is a new age. Get with it !!!

Many trees with decaying limbs remain untrimmed one year later from my last summer tour. Plenty of weeds are growing between the bricks along the Rec Center....and elsewhere.

The flower garden between Castle, Lowden and Parsons is once again maintained beautifully.

Lincoln and Douglas look old , tired and are rust stained.

At least install some shrubs to break the monotony of the grounds immediately around the bases of Grant and Stevenson. It resembles a housing project. My solution when renovated is to cut the drab concrete with green tinted windows. Same with Lincoln and Douglas. It would offer some continuity on West Campus.

I was unable to determine if the gravel lot far north of Lincoln , Douglas and Grant were being paved or only getting fresh stone/gravel and grading. There remains a large pile of ruble....concrete slabs/re-bars etc dumped between the paved and unpaved lots. It was there last Homecoming as I had parked along side it. A giant hill of weeds adds a vegetation accent .

The DuSable turnaround is a vast improvement in appearance but I question its new traffic pattern. You cannot drive from Stadium Drive to Central Campus any longer without using Lucinda or Lincoln.

I thought the banks and creek bottom to Watson "creek" were gonna be improved . You could have fooled me. Another wasted resource thru Central Campus waiting to be rescued.

If the goal is to reduce or eliminate motor traffic on campus, safe bike paths and more Huskie Buses & routes will be necessary. The distances between classrooms , dorms and other buildings is getting significant. I cannot imagine in winter walking regularly from West Campus to Barsema Hall and back for a dorm lunch or dinner.

The new businesses along Lincoln just east of Glidden are most welcomed. The long time business of Illini Tire remains in my face when entering NIU country . It' s personally disturbing. It would be the same if it said HOOSIER , BADGER or REDBIRD Tire as well.

Bad enuff, Roadway was selling a bin of ILLINOIS T shirts at the checkout line. I asked where is the NIU gear? Will we ever stop thinking of ourselves as second city rather than a world class campus?

Think of a Wolverine Tire shop when entering WMU or Buckeye Tire entering OU or Miami or buying bins of OSU T's at a MiamiO gas station.

I thought the sign near tollway said you are entering Huskie country. PROVE IT !

The grounds around MLK Commons are beginning to look mature and appealing - except for the unattended sunken patio garden at front of Founders Library.

Anyone have info on the "object of art...if that's what it is" positioned on SE corner of Lucinda and Gilbert Drive ? It's sorta a circular step ladder supported by flagstone with blue hand rails leading nowhere.

The fountains and pond at entry to Convo look good & have potential. The remaining grounds are rather barren. Why not fill the retention pond east of Convo with stone base rather than allow weeds to flourish? No berms , no plantings , nothing but cornflelds all the way to Iowa border.

The Larusso lagoon has so much promise for recreation. Aerated pond, jogging trails, bike paths around it , benches, picnic areas , TREES & SHRUBS plus lighted Gazebo and lamps like the East Lagoon would be a bonus. Ahhh yes, the East Campus lagoon remains an unspoiled gem & campus sanctuary. It always brings me serenity.
Thankfully, enough of a small grove which was once the much larger and denser Montgomery Grove continues to shield East Campus from Lincoln Highway.

There should be a 20 year plan to develop a forest preserve and /or a natural prairie at the far western edge of NIU 's newest property acquisitions.

Most every college website offers a virtual tour for prospective students and the curious. The NIU tour is okay. If you wish to be dazzled, take a walk on the Ohio U tour. It takes your breath away.

If athletics is the front porch to a university, NIU is alot better campus than ten years ago. There is more to a house than a front porch and there is much to be done . The potential is enormous and so is the pricetag I suspect. Several minuses are, however, easier fixes.

NIU campus: Getting better one step at a time.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2007 03:49 PM by cyberdawg.)
07-13-2007 09:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.