Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Three schools playing away-Home games
Bookmark and Share
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

ULM will play Arkansas in Little Rock as a home game, Arkansas State will play Missouri in Kansas City as a home game and Idaho will play Washington State in Pullman, Washington (WSU's stadium). Idaho will also play Arkansas State in Pullman as a home game. Each of the first three games should draw well enough so that those three schools will not have to worry about meeting the attendence requirement during the 2004 season. Do you like or dislike this practice?
02-19-2004 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

TommyGirl
Unregistered

I think ASU's game in KC is in 2005.
02-19-2004 09:30 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Essency Wrote:I think ASU's game in KC is in 2005.
Duh :bang: You are correct.

From the official Arkansas State website

ASU-MISSOURI TO PLAN FORMAL FOOTBALL GAME ANNOUNCEMENT
02/18/2004

JONESBORO, Ark.
02-19-2004 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SUMG Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Swamphound.......I don't have a problem with the Ark. State game at Mizzou....but I have always had a problem with Idaho at Washington State, being a home game for them. That was the only way they were able to qualify for 1-A, when you had to average 17,000 during your qualifying year.

And the ULM home game at Little Rock (in a stadium the Razorbacks use EVERY YEAR) is even more bogus. I want the Sun Belt to survive, but not if its teams have to use screwy loopholes like this to make it. As you probably know, the ULM game, Arkansas is handling all the tickets, even paying ULM a guarantee. At least Arkansas State at Mizzou, the Indians are handling seating, paying Mizzou a guarantee, and will have ASU logos on the field.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

SUMG.......(praying for UNT to get into the CUSA and out of the league that allows nonsense like the above AND DESIGNATED CONFERENCE GAMES)
02-20-2004 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

galojah Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU

Donators

I can see your point. I know it is a win/win for everyone involved, but it seems like we are prostituting our football programs for survival.

My thought is if you don't have the fans to support 1-A, then maybe you shouldn't be 1-A. The fans speak loud and clear by the way the show, or in this case, don't show.

I am glad WKU is taking this process slow and making sure we aren't getting in over our heads. 1-A is great, would love to have it, but only if our community and alumni will support it, without having to prostitute our team to another school.

This is just another way of us basically telling the "Big Schools" that we NEED them and we are second class.
02-20-2004 10:01 AM
studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

If your own fans can't support you as a 1-A program then you should drop, instead of resorting to this. I know we can make the attendance this year, and we won't have to worry about it.
02-20-2004 10:07 AM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

SUMG Wrote:Swamphound.......I don't have a problem with the Ark. State game at Mizzou....but I have always had a problem with Idaho at Washington State, being a home game for them. That was the only way they were able to qualify for 1-A, when you had to average 17,000 during your qualifying year.

And the ULM home game at Little Rock (in a stadium the Razorbacks use EVERY YEAR) is even more bogus. I want the Sun Belt to survive, but not if its teams have to use screwy loopholes like this to make it. As you probably know, the ULM game, Arkansas is handling all the tickets, even paying ULM a guarantee. At least Arkansas State at Mizzou, the Indians are handling seating, paying Mizzou a guarantee, and will have ASU logos on the field.

SUMG.......(praying for UNT to get into the CUSA and out of the league that allows nonsense like the above AND DESIGNATED CONFERENCE GAMES)
Seem like many here agree with you. IMO, I would'nt mind if we (Cajuns) had a game like that (ASU's) once in a while but if we need to do it every other year to survive? Why bother? My Dad use to tell a hard headed young guy I knew "If you don't give a damn, why should I?" If the fans do not care enough to support it (1A football program) then it should not and will not be.
02-20-2004 08:33 PM

badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I have no problem with it; I think you will see more of it in the near future. The Badgers have been complaining that the price to get a 1-A OOC game at Camp Randall is too high. I would not be surprised to see the Badgers do something like this with a MAC team.
02-20-2004 08:36 PM
studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

SwampHound Wrote:
SUMG Wrote:Swamphound.......I don't have a problem with the Ark. State game at Mizzou....but I have always had a problem with Idaho at Washington State, being a home game for them. That was the only way they were able to qualify for 1-A, when you had to average 17,000 during your qualifying year.

Seem like many here agree with you. IMO, I would'nt mind if we (Cajuns) had a game like that (ASU's) once in a while but if we need to do it every other year to survive? Why bother? My Dad use to tell a hard headed young guy I knew "If you don't give a damn, why should I?" If the fans do not care enough to support it (1A football program) then it should not and will not be.
Well you also have to take into account the fact that for teams that were losing for many years in a row, it's hard to get them to come to the games if they have no ties with the program. Once they get the program turned away, then you will see them come back and watch the team b/c their winning now. IMHO.
02-20-2004 11:50 PM
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I agree; winning will bring casual fans back to the football stadium. People like to identify with winners. Win 'consistently' and the casual fans will come; hard core fans come to the games win or lose, but they are often a small percentage of the total.
02-21-2004 09:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.