Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA backing off, 15K Rule not to be implemented
Bookmark and Share
Unixmaster
Unregistered

excerpt from Times Picayune article in today's issue:

-A Reprieve Likely

Remember that pesky requirement that was due to go into effect this fall, that Division I-A schools must average 15,000 in attendance at football games? Well, it looks to be going by the wayside, or at least the number will be reduced.

The I-A status of as many as 20 schools could have been affected if the rule remains in place.

"There will not be a recommendation," said David Berst, the NCAA's vice-president for Division I. "We just want the (NCAA Division I Board of Directors) to look more carefully at the provisions and provide some instructions about they think is appropriate."

According to NCAA statistics, 11 schools averaged less than 15,000 last season. Another nine were between 15,000-19,000. Two other schools, Florida International and Florida Atlantic, which are scheduled to move to I-A and join the Sun Belt Conference in 2005, were at less than 10,000.

And that's announced attendance -- not actual people in the stands, which the new rule requires.

"What we're hearing is concern on the part of some schools that attendance is not a proper measurement of a I-A school," Berst said. "It's more a measure of your marketability, and there are some places you aren't going to get 15,000 even for free."

When the rule was passed three years ago, the stated intent was to stem the flow of schools from I-AA. But promised enhancement to the I-AA playoffs haven't materialized, and schools continue to want to move up.

Unstated was the belief at the time that a I-A playoff was inevitable, and that a flood of schools moving up would only mean slicing the pie thinner. But the presidents have pretty much made it clear that won't happen anytime soon, so there's no reason to keep the club so exclusive.

If the rule is allowed to stand, schools not hitting 15,000 would be on probation for one year. Two years in a row would mean "unclassified" status. Among other things, that could affect schools conference membership and prevent opponents from playing enough I-A foes to be bowl eligible.

"Obviously, there were some unintended consequences," Berst said. "And there are lot of schools with great histories of competing at the highest level who would be in jeopardy."

With seven of the nine current Sun Belt schools in jeopardy, including his own, it's not surprising that Middle Tennessee president and Board of Directors member Sidney McPhee is in favor of repeal.

"We'd love to have a full stadium," he said. "But for some schools, circumstances -- mainly how successful you are -- make that uncontrollable. There should be standards for being in I-A, and this one sounds good in concept. But ultimately it will have an adverse effect."

The repeal also has the tacit approval of NCAA president Myles Brand.

"There is some discomfort with the rule, and it's legitimate," he said. "We want to make sure the people in I-A really belong there, but the best way to do that may be in terms of scholarships."

Scholarship minimums -- 200 or $4 million worth, with at least 76 in football -- already is one of the other provisions of the new rules, as is a minimum requirement of at least 16 sports. Earlier this year, the board reduced the number of required home games against I-A opponents from five to four for the next two years.

"The thinking seems to be that financial contributions and not marketability should be the benchmark for I-A," Berst said. "The board is going to sit down and think through all of this."
04-25-2004 01:34 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Thats great news, if it is lowered, I have no doubt we'll all make the cut, and would even further make me believe that we need to stick together, make the cut, and start killing some giants.

Tuffguy
04-25-2004 01:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

sounds like it will be taken off, good news for our conference when we are trying to develop rivalries and get fans interested in our football programs.
04-25-2004 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

This would be a wise move; attendance at a football game is not a good indicator of whether a school is a 1-A type institution or not. I did not believe they would ever have the gonads to enforce an attendance rule that would negatively impact so many schools from so many different states.
04-cheers
04-25-2004 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

This definitely helps the conference in the future and as long as some teams don't leave the conference in the next realignment, we'll be in good shape.
04-25-2004 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.