Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for 'veteran' Belt schools
Bookmark and Share
Trojans1andAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy

I've been reading some posts over on a LaTech board today and I knew they would be disgruntled after missing out on CUSA, but they were really bad mouthing the Sun Belt over there. I didn't get a very good impression of them.

I knew there was bad blood between them and some SBC schools, but they really just look down their noses at us don't they? Can someone fill me in on the Sun Belt/LaTech history and explain how they ticked everyone off?

I know that if LaTech asked to join they would probably get strong consideration, but from what I saw on their board I would have to agree with the ones who say 'Let 'em rot!'

LONG LIVE THE SUN BELT!

GO TROJANS!
05-01-2004 12:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JSinLR Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State

Best I remember....

LTU was part of the Soutland with current I-As ASU, UNT, ULM, and ULL for years...then I-AA rolled around and ULL stayed I-A while the rest of us got pushed into I-AA. Eventually LTU then ASU then UNT & ULM moved back into I-A. LTU got a jump on us and had better success than the rest of us including ULL who had stayed I-A (until UNTs run the last 3 years). There were a few years where ASU, LTU and ULL were part of the Big West together and had a commitment to each other to stick together. Now I guess LTU started feeling superior about this time (mid to late 1990's) but still joined ASU and ULL in the American South for all other sports and then the SunBelt.

Now once Sunbelt FB started becoming a priority it was obvious we needed ULM to make it work and LTU did not want to have anything to do with ULM because they are so close together and LTU thought they needed all of N. Louisiana for recruiting and fans and ULM poses a perceived problem. I'm sure there were other reasons. LTU had enough success in Men's FB and women's BB that they got the offer from the WAC and left.

Now in their hurry to leave, the SBC took the women's BB tournament from LTU (by-laws provide for that) and the parting was less than good. LTU was upset but the fans were also arrogant about the move.

That is very abbrieviated...and I may have some of the story out of order but that is the gist of it.

There is really no big issues just that LTU feels they have separated themselves from the rest of the SBC and are having a hard time with the reality check that they aren't much different. They would do well in the SBC but they would not win it every year either. LTU has alway been streaky...they might go 8-3, 9-2, 7-4 and then 3-8, 4-7.

Their facilities are on par with the SBC. The Baseball stadium is probably their best. The basketball areana in nice but not any better than WKU, MTSU, UNT, ASU, UNO, USA, UALR or ULLs...in fact these are all probably a little better. Not sure about BB arenas at Troy, FIU, FAU, or Denver. The football stadiums of ASU, MTSU, ULL, Troy are probably a little better than LTUs. Overall LTU fits in the SBC pretty well.
05-01-2004 12:32 AM
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

As one of the older stAte fans who has been with UNT, ULL, ULM, La Tech from the time LTU left the Gulf South and joined the SLC until today, the La Tech fans are probably as good and decent as any.

However, they have a loud, ignorant, obsessed core group of fans (i.e., their Board) that are delusional dim-witted asses. They are pathetic and sad on their best day! Did I say PRICKS 03-puke

They cannot and they will not survive in the WAC; they are isolated now and they are striking out at every one and every thing. It is always best to stay away from a wounded animal :D
05-01-2004 08:26 AM
Beaux66 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

What may seem like arrogance by LaTech is simply an ambition to position itself for bigger things.No crime in that.As a matter of fact LaTech is very supportive of bringing into the WAC ULL and UNT.It may seem like Tech does fit with the SBC but with facility improvements and seperating itself from really only ULM,it gives Tech a better claim to the N.La fan base.It is clear that Tech has had better recruiting advantages by seperating itself from the SBC.There is a reason that Louisiana Tech plays ULL in football every year and would love to play N.Texas,and thats because there is a respect for the potential of those programs.The rest are only a small step above 1aa.ULL and Unt are upgrading facilities because if they were smart they would try to seperate themselves from SBC as well.When the time is right they will.
05-06-2004 11:05 AM
Advertisement

Trojans1andAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy

Quote:There is a reason that Louisiana Tech plays ULL in football every year and would love to play N.Texas,and thats because there is a respect for the potential of those programs.The rest are only a small step above 1aa.

See, I think thats why people in the SBC feel the way they do about LaTech.

I can only take UNT and ULL at their word. If they are not leaving the Belt then thats going to leave LaTech as the only WAC team in the central time zone. The closer LTU gets to atheltic bankruptcy the better the Sun Belt will look. When you start that Sun Belt schedule, you're going to wonder who is really closer to I-AA.

flame away, or whatever...

GO TROJANS!
05-06-2004 05:55 PM
Beaux66 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

My point is not arrogance,it is simply that the WAC put LaTech in a position to be considered for confusa.The Sunbelt would not have.If the Wac fails for Tech and they are back in the sbc than so be it,but at least they tried to put themselves in a better position for the future.They would have been invisible in the Sbc.Unt had to dominate the SBC to even get considered.LaTech got considered by being a .500 team in the WAC.It's not arrogance,just a desire to move forward,and if it fails we will see ya in your conf. soon.
05-07-2004 09:42 AM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators

Just know that if we take La Tech, they will have an ich to leave from day one. They will never be committed to the conference. If the SBC presidents are willing to accept them with that understanding, then welcome them in. However if they think La Tech would come back with a commitment to make the Sun Belt stronger for the LONG TERM, the Presidents are lost. La Tech will go to the C-USA in 5-6 years.

I suppose the same could be said for UNT and maybe even ULL or MTSU though.

Now that I think about it, the Sun Belt could be in a world of hurt in 5-6 years. Once the Big East splits and they take Memphis, Central FL, E Carolina, and Marshall, the C-USA will likely look at La Tech, UNT, ULL, and maybe MTSU.
05-07-2004 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Beaux66 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

it is time to realize that every school needs to look out for themselves.True,if Tech comes to sbc it will not be with great enthusiasm because they want to move up the ranks.Don't forget that UNT was also ready to scrape you off their shoe as well so don't blame only LaTech.LaTech has alot of work to do to position themselves for the next shift but right now moving to sbc might not be in their best interest.But true that if a shift doesn't happen soon than money may dictate that LaTech will have no choice.Besides is it true that wku is going Mac.
05-07-2004 02:47 PM
PrimeRateWKUFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

[QUOTE]Besides is it true that wku is going Mac. [QUOTE]

Oh, boy...here we go again...! :D :laugh:
05-07-2004 03:51 PM
Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Beaux66 Wrote:My point is not arrogance,it is simply that the WAC put LaTech in a position to be considered for confusa.The Sunbelt would not have.If the Wac fails for Tech and they are back in the sbc than so be it,but at least they tried to put themselves in a better position for the future.They would have been invisible in the Sbc.Unt had to dominate the SBC to even get considered.LaTech got considered by being a .500 team in the WAC.It's not arrogance,just a desire to move forward,and if it fails we will see ya in your conf. soon.
Let me start off by saying, if La Tech acts like the prissy to-good-for-you type school like they are right now, when the WAC dissolves because yer western teams bolted to the MWC, and your looking for a home, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ONE HERE. This is a 1 shot type deal, come back now, or wait till WAC dissolves and go back to the southland, PERIOD! As yall stand, Im exstatic that your moronic administration cant see something right in front of their face. UNT/UL/MT/ASU and Troy are all going to leap frog you for CUSA over the next couple of years, and do you want to know why? Cuzz were not spending our extra money on going to play a match of wemons volleyball IN HAWAII! As it stands now, were getting a comperable TV contract to MAC in how much we'll get on TV, and were starting to make some more TV revenue. Stay in the WAC, but when your teams still stuck there when these lowly Sunbelt teams get invites into CUSA over you, youll be pissed off that you decided to sit on yer ****** in a WESTERN based conference.

Tuffguy
05-07-2004 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Great post Tuffguy, just let that aggression out! :laugh: I guess finals have got to you eh?
05-08-2004 07:24 AM
Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

studentfan Wrote:Great post Tuffguy, just let that aggression out! :laugh: I guess finals have got to you eh?
ohh yea, man it feels good to be done with finals, but mostly, Im just tired of this "I'm not here to be arrogant....but atleast were in the WAC" type posts, like the WAC is a BCS conference. If the WAC put them in a position to better themselves....dont you think their options would be a little better than either staying in a conference where they travel to afghanistan to play a game of womens water-polo, or goto a conference they percieve as a step down. They say that coming back to the belt gives the teams in the belt a heads up for conference realignment in a couple years...what I fail to see is how the hell staying in the WAC helps them for realignment then. Im through with La Tech, I want ULM, even with my school fighting with them over the name because atleast THEY WANT TO BE HERE, and are willing to put money into their program.

Tuffguy
05-08-2004 12:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GarlandGreen Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Look, I have no love for Louisiana Tech myself. They have several of the most obnoxious posters that can be found on any board but that does not mean that is the feeling of the majority of La Tech's administration or fans.

Louisiana Tech went to WAC as a step up, which it was. The lure of SMU, Rice and Tulsa attracted them and I don't blame them. It was the right thing at that time to advance their program.

Now, the three that attracted them there are gone. Even their next closest rival after those three, UTEP, is gone. They are disappointed and hurt because they thought that they, too, would be included in the CUSA realignment. To stay in a conference without what was your four closest competitors, with the distance involved, and no new nearby rivals willing to form a new SIX TEAM division, they will live a financial nighmare. I emphasized six team because that is all that could really save them from a multitude of trips to the Pacific and Hawaiian time zones.

Due to financial implications of their association with the WAC (basketball revenue) and the appeasement of their major donors, they can't really come right out and say what they feel. I believe that they are working through a third party to see if it is feasible to return to the SBC. Other than the usual ranters on the LTU board I haven't seen evidence that they really look down their nose at us.

Today, the SBC is a step down for them. Tomorrow, that may not be so. Their coming aboard would strengthen the Sun Belt and weaken the WAC, especially in football and women's basketball. If they can get past their disappointment, they will have a better shot at a higher-rated conference by coming in an dominating or finishing very high in the SBC. They might have the money to be able to improve facilities

Atttitudes can change and maybe theirs will. I only know that they are the strongest program that may be available to us at this time.
05-08-2004 03:08 PM
Advertisement

Unixmaster
Unregistered

GarlandGreen Wrote:Look, I have no love for Louisiana Tech myself.  They have several of the most obnoxious posters that can be found on any board but that does not mean that is the feeling of the majority of La Tech's administration or fans.

Louisiana Tech went to WAC as a step up, which it was.  The lure of SMU, Rice and Tulsa attracted them and I don't blame them.  It was the right thing at that time to advance their program.

Now, the three that attracted them there are gone.  Even their next closest rival after those three, UTEP, is gone.  They are disappointed and hurt because they thought that they, too, would be included in the CUSA realignment.  To stay in a conference without what was your four closest competitors, with the distance involved, and no new nearby rivals willing to form a new SIX TEAM division, they will live a financial nighmare.  I emphasized six team because that is all that could really save them from a multitude of trips to the Pacific and Hawaiian time zones.

Due to financial implications of their association with the WAC (basketball revenue) and the appeasement of their major donors, they can't really come right out and say what they feel.  I believe that they are working through a third party to see if it is feasible to return to the SBC.  Other than the usual ranters on the LTU board I haven't seen evidence that they really look down their nose at us. 

Today, the SBC is a step down for them.  Tomorrow, that may not be so.  Their coming aboard would strengthen the Sun Belt and weaken the WAC, especially in football and women's basketball.  If they can get past their disappointment, they will have a better shot at a higher-rated conference by coming in an dominating or finishing very high in the SBC.  They might have the money to be able to improve facilities

Atttitudes can change and maybe theirs will.  I only know that they are the strongest program that may be available to us at this time.
At this point I've lost patience with latech. If they return, fine. If not, let'em rot.

But if Bicknell is on the hot seat and gets canned at the end of next season, I wonder how attractive a job that will be if they are still in the WAC? I think their program is going to take a beating financially and athletically staying in the WAC. Especially in football, the WAC lost their some of their weaker programs to C-USA and latech's record against the remaining WAC teams is not that good.

I've read on some message board that contacts have been made by latech to various ADs in the Sun Belt and that it was not about joining them in the WAC. Maybe reason and logic will prevail.
05-08-2004 05:16 PM
Quote this message in a reply
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

With the depletion of the WAC and our new TV package on the horizon plus the Solidarity Statement, I think the SBC is OK! I do not see any of our schools leaving for the WAC; now CUSA is different, but they are not expanding as they just took UTEP (the senior member of the WAC) away from the WAC.

Tech is in deep doo-doo financially; all the SBC schools will surpass them in the next 1-2 years. Their decision and they must live with it.

04-cheers
05-08-2004 05:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.