Idaho joins the WAC (unofficially)
Bookmark and Share
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Idaho joins Western Athletic Conference

Advertiser Staff

The Western Athletic Conference Board of Directors voted today to add the University of Idaho as the conference’s ninth team for the 2005-’06 season, according to people involved in the process.
The Vandals, who have played football in the Sun Belt Conference and competed in the Big West in their other 15 sports, will join two other newcomers, New Mexico State and Utah State, in joining the WAC on July 1, 2005.

The three replace Rice, Southern Methodist, Texas-El Paso and Tulsa, who will join Conference USA on that date.

<a href='http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Jun/04/br/br08p.html' target='_blank'>Honolulu Advertiser.com</a>
06-04-2004 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

now we wait for the "other" shoe to drop :rolleyes: (wait to see who our 12th member will be). Congrats to Idaho, I am sure this move will help their programs tremendously.
06-04-2004 04:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
untbowler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

ULM will probably be our next member, which means Southland will need to find a new partner to dance with at the 1-aa level. 04-cheers
06-04-2004 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

CONGRATS to Idaho; they have been a good SBC member and I wish them the very best. They belong in the WAC; good for Idaho!
04-cheers
06-04-2004 05:17 PM
Dawg81 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

What happened to that solidarity announcement a few days back?? Looks like Idaho had their fingers crossed.
06-04-2004 06:38 PM
Advertisement

badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Dawg81 Wrote:What happened to that solidarity announcement a few days back?? Looks like Idaho had their fingers crossed.

Idaho was not part of the solidarity issue; they are a WESTERN school and they belong in a WESTERN conference. The SBC fans are happy for Idaho -- Go Vandals!
:wave:
06-04-2004 07:04 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Dawg81 Wrote:What happened to that solidarity announcement a few days back?? Looks like Idaho had their fingers crossed.
You obviously didn't read it.

"With this confirmation from the CEOs, the league also reaffirms its commitment to Idaho and Denver that they will have a home with the Sun Belt Conference, but we anticipate opportunities in the near future that will address their travel concerns," explained Wright Waters, Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference.
06-04-2004 07:48 PM
Advertisement

Dawg81 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

arkstfan Wrote:
Dawg81 Wrote:What happened to that solidarity announcement a few days back??&nbsp; Looks like Idaho had their fingers crossed.
You obviously didn't read it.

"With this confirmation from the CEOs, the league also reaffirms its commitment to Idaho and Denver that they will have a home with the Sun Belt Conference, but we anticipate opportunities in the near future that will address their travel concerns," explained Wright Waters, Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference.
I read it. Waters statement implied that the SBC would add teams within easy travel distance of Idaho & Denver, not shed teams to other conferences. With-in the context of the "solidarity announcement" one must assume that is the intent.
06-04-2004 08:42 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Idaho has made no secret of their (logicial) desire to be in a western conference. Anyone familiar with the situation knows that Waters statement meant that he believed Idaho and Denver would have a chance to move to a western conference.
06-04-2004 11:30 PM
Advertisement

untbowler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Swamphound is correct Waters and everyone else knew that Idaho would be looking at finding a more regional conference. Waters implied that if they did not find that conference then were still welcome as Sun Belt members for as long as needed.

Congrats Idaho and good luck in the WAC. 04-cheers
06-05-2004 07:50 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Dawg81 Wrote:I read it. Waters statement implied that the SBC would add teams within easy travel distance of Idaho & Denver, not shed teams to other conferences. With-in the context of the "solidarity announcement" one must assume that is the intent.
You are the only person I've heard from that drew that conclusion.

Everyone else assumed it meant Idaho and Denver are gone as soon as they find something regional.

I had a discussion regarding the statement before it was issued and was told the Belt was actively working to assist the two in their pursuit of other memberships.
06-05-2004 10:26 AM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:

"You are the only person I've heard from that drew that conclusion."

I agree with everyone on this board, especially with you Arkstfan. There has to be only a handful of people (if that) in this World that could interpret Waters statement the way Dawg81 did. It's as if hanging your head to the wall to make a point that simply can't be made :bang:

Everybody, I mean, EVERYBODY knew what he (Waters) meant.

Good grief!!!!!![B]
06-05-2004 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.