Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tuffguys postgame feelings (week 1)
Bookmark and Share
Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Well guys, what did we expect. I didnt want to be beaten that badly in week one, but I think we all expected a loss. I can take losing to a team we're expected to lose to better than I can take a loss to a team that we're supposed to beat. With that said, There were some definite bright spots, and definite low spots, so I will highlight what I saw.

The Good

RB Terrell Fenroy looked wonderful. He fought hard for extra yards and I think he should be #1 on the depth chart for week 2 and be given between 20-30 carries a game, he will take us places if we let him.

Michael Adams played very well on defense...although thats not saying much when you lose 60-3, but I felt he played well.

Derrick Smith will be an all sunbelt conference first teamer twice before he leaves if he continues to play this well. Once Sampy gets back, You better have Smith on the other side as they could make for quite a 1-2 punch, the likes we havent seen since Stamps was playing with Sampy as the #2 2 years ago.

The Bad

Offensive line, we just got thrashed. I know we need to give credit to the UT defensive lineman, but there were way to many plays were guys went completly unblocked into the backfield.

Defense...well, ALL DEFENSE. We didnt do much of anything well tonight. Tackling was sloppy, and Vince Young completed like 12 of 14, and his arm is not his strong point. The pass defenders were not doing much of anything to break up the plays, and Young had almost all day in the pocket to do whatever he wanted. Linebackers and Lineman did not play well at all and this will have to be fixed if we are to even have a chance at a winning season this year.

The Ugly

Theres only one stat that should make you want to vomit after the game...

52 attempts, 418 yards, 8.0 Per Carry.

There is no team on earth who can win giving up 8 yards a carry. For all the hope that the switch to the 4-3 would help us out in the longhaul overall, I have yet to see it slow down anyone really. We've got some good RB's in the conference, and we better shape up very soon if we want to have any chance of slowing them down.

Other Random Notes

I thought Caleb Rubin did well, and should be utilized as a third down back, as well as Brit Framel did extremly well as a punter. Desormeaux looked good, but is real raw, he just doesnt command the offense like Babb does. Outside of that, I only saw a few glimpses of much real positive, I saw a flash out of Cherry, but he has to acctually catch the ball and finish the play...the other WR's need ALOT of work. They can work out and post the fastest times in the world, but if their not running their routes right, it could be a long season.

Final Thoughts

I dont think its physically possible to find more positives than negatives in such a lopsided loss, but in this case, I think it showed what we have down the line behind our starters. As long as we got though this game without any devestating injuries (which I feel we did, even though Chester Johnson came out early), I think we still have a great shot at a good season and a more promising future.

Tuffguy
09-04-2005 05:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

There is one more positive about this game, North Texas last year lost 65-0 and we lost 60-3.
09-06-2005 07:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.