Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What to do now
GFlash68 Online
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies

I have come to the conclusion that this team is gone. It is short in the heart category. It maybe short on talent also. We did have 3 games that we could have won. For all of the raw talent that Cribbs has, I am convinced that you can not become a winner with him at QB. I have seen several games in his career where he won the game almost by himself. I have seen many plays where he gave away most of the good that he performs. He puts the ball on the ground way too many times. He really puts a coach in a dilemma. He has to play because he is so exciting but at the same time, he will loose too many opportunities.
Someone suggested moving him to RB. I would move him to another position also. He has no future as a QB but may get a NFL look at some other position. I would use the rest of the season to develop the QB of next year, (probably Smith) and give Josh exposure at another position. We have no RB. Alston cannot make the first defensive player miss and he never falls forward. We need big time help.
I do believe that Martin will go after D1 players. I was strong for him pre season and then jump off his wagon. I have decided that our hope and future is with him and this year will make him better deal with our situation. Since we have an AD that does not know FB, we have no other choice. Our AD allowed the previous coach to continue to recruit D-II level players and try to play D-I. My hope is that Martin will do the right thing on his own.
10-11-2004 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FOOTBALL2546 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I agree with everything you said. This team is never going to get better , until CRIBBS & ALSTON are out of there and COACH MARTIN can take control of his team again , because right now he got two players that are trying to get to the next level. Kent is a whole lot better than they are playing. So,as soon as MARTIN take those blinder off and stop looking at just those two guys , we can go back to playing like a team again. And if I am going to lose , it will be with everybody,because if they can't get it done,I will look down the sideline until I find the right combination. Coach you are doing the same thing ever week . CRIBBS IS GOOD .
10-11-2004 11:17 AM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Though the previous poster may be a bit overzealous, I would like to see McClaude play more. Martin said all spring and summer he could be the starter. Let's see him get more time. But at this point, I think the offensive line regressed from last year, and no running back could probably do much.
10-11-2004 05:06 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I definetly think we have to stay with the current coaching staff, with the exception of the special teams coach (and I don't even know who that is). I still like Martin...think he has energy, is not isolated ( see: reaching out to Don James) and a competitive edge. Restkis and Wauford seem like they are worth keeping given the general progress on defense. We may need an O coordinator so Martin doesn't wear two hats. Just don't see that we get anywhere by starting over on the coaching staff.

I may be naive, but we still have a young team. Look at the offense line. On our roster, 19 OL are listed. Only two are seniors, Andrews and Bandiera. Two are juniors, Carter and Mackenzie. The other 15 are green. Given the rule of thumb that a good team needs 8-10 starter quality O-linemen, you can see we dip into young players real fast. The good news.. they're getting experience. The bad news.... we have to watch it.:eek:

There is a good nucleas returning on defense...Sessler, Muir, Young, Parrish, Williams. All starters under the second year of Restkis' system. I think Smith will do better under Martin's system... still argue it was too late to change Cribbs' style. ( Noticed Smith had a nice TD strike against Miami.) And, Beverly and McClaude will return as RBs.

Bottom line...give Martin more time. Maybe not the five year guarentee of the last coach.. but certainly more than one season.
10-11-2004 09:49 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

We will be able to tell a lot by this years recruiting class. It is not like Martin came in as a new coach late. It is my observation that you can tell the direction of a new staff by its first full year recruiting class. You can see what type of recruit he is going after. Usually, if a new coach does not step it up in talent during that year, he has lost his chance with the high school coaches. They want to see their players going to a college coach who will make a quick turn around. This was Pees' problem. He came from a Big 10 program and thought that if a Big 10 school was interested in a recruit, why waste the time on him. I remember Don James saying during his first year, " if the Big 10 is not looking at a player, maybe I should not. Since Martin did not come from that culture, maybe he will see the light.
10-12-2004 08:54 AM
Advertisement

KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:

This obviously could be a front, but this doesn't sound like a defeated coach despite what many are posting.

<a href='http://www.kentstatesports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&url_article_id=1306&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2' target='_blank'>http://www.kentstatesports.com/index.php?s...hange_well_id=2</a>
10-12-2004 08:32 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I like Coach Martin. I really do. He deserves his shot.

I read this all the way to the end and appreciated his perspective. Then, right at the end, I wondered what team he's been watching.

[quote]
“I enjoy doing the offense right now. It keeps me involved with the players instead of just having the head coaching role and walking around. I am very familiar with the offense. I’ve enjoyed being on the field and calling the plays. It’s actually worked out pretty good.
10-12-2004 08:41 PM
Flashfan88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

You guys all hit it; I think Coach Martin can do the job, he has put his players in position to win most of these games.
It would be nice to see them get something going this year to build on for next year.

Does anyone know anything about this Olajuwan Cooper kid ? Can he play at this level?
10-13-2004 07:21 PM
punt16 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Flashfan88 Wrote:Does anyone know anything about this Olajuwan Cooper kid ? Can he play at this level?
From what I have been told, this kid is the real deal. Sounds like he has developed in to a real nice QB. And at 6'4", if he can run the show next year, it would be nice to have him and Smith on the field at the same time. 04-rock
10-14-2004 05:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.