Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hey Temple fans, add some insight
Bookmark and Share
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!

I keep hearing that there are a lot of changes afoot for Temple football, both on and off the field.

For now, can any knowledgeable Owl fans add some insight into what the on-field changed will be?

On offense, we know that the exit of Walter Washington puts McGann (sp?) back behind center. I also believe that the semi-spread is being shelved and McGann will be directing a more conventional offense. What else is in store?

On defense, didn't the Owls lose their top two linebackers (Wallace and Bennett)? What does that mean to the defense? We all know that the man labeled a "goon" in BB will be trying to play D-line. What else should we be aware of?

Looking forward to some good off-season discussion!

06-14-2005 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hippoears Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

McGann has very good QB skills and a lot of experience as a starter against outstanding teams during his freshman and soph years. Questions that many people have: can he hold up the entire season and who will be most apt to replace him if he's hurt? Can he avoid drive killing mistakes?
Off Coord. dave brock took his spread offense to N. Carolina where they won't let him use it.
New Off Coord willie slater will use a multiple attack with two backs behind a big experienced offensive line. Defense will actually be a real defense this season and loss of linebackers Wallace and Bennett hopefully won't hurt as bad as it could otherwise.
All world defensive tackle Burton is back after missing a year due to injury; DE mike medenhall and LB rick costas and company are pretty good players.
As much as I'd like to be positive, the first two games against Az. State and Wisconsin will show how good Owls players really are--can they play at the level they will need to play at against a killer schedule?
There are a lot of Owls fans who know a lot more about the players than I do.

06-14-2005 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gang Green Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

As Hippoears stated...Tough SChedule and new OC.

Also Temple has a new OL Coach and new WR coach.

06-15-2005 06:04 PM
FishPro123 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple

UNTIL WE GET A NEW HEAD COACH, NOTHING WILL BE NEW. FIGURE US FOR 1-10 (AND GOD BLESS THE ONE COACH WHO LOSES TO US AS HE WILL SURE BE FIRED. LOSING TO TEMPLE IS THE D-1A STANDARD FOR GETTING THE AXE. :(

06-25-2005 01:56 PM
PhillyPhlash Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple U

The only thing I can tell the other MAC teams to expect is for Mike Mc Can't and HC Bobby Wallace to lose every game they can for us. If we don't have the opportunity to win games solely on defense or a solid running game then we are definately facing a 1-10 or 0-11 season. Philly homers can give you the same pile of bs they've been fed by the Inky all their life about Mc Gann's stats but then you need to look at his body of work and compare it to the more than servicable fellow we had at the helm last year and realize how inept Mc Gann was with alot better talent around him. Believe me, nobody knows the true meaning of implosion until they've seen Mike Mc Gann take a team 70 yards up field and throw a bone head pick or cough up a fumble.

Now I could consult my '05 prospectus and go in depth with every player on the roster but it doesn't take a hardcore football fan to know that the secret to success on any level in football is a good coach and a smart quarterback. Sadly enough we have neither of them this season and it will be a miracle if we win 2 games when it's all said and done. Like my father has said every season since I can remember, "I hope I'm wrong about TU football this year, but I think their gonna be worse than the Phillies again." But on the bright side, at least we're not Buffalo.

06-25-2005 04:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

yeah, and at least we dont live in Buffalo either. When I was there I thought I was in the coldest part of hell.

06-26-2005 12:35 PM
Advertisement

Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Everything that you mentioned is correct. We also lost our best receiver. I actually thought that our old QB Walter Washington became too predictable. It seemed like we dared teams to try to tackle him. When he threw the ball he just wasn't accurate enough. We just gave the guy too much to do. He was 90% of our running and passing attack. Our potential to get a few upsets will depend on how good Mike McGann is. He has been around for a long time so he should be ready to do something. He is a tall lanky kid with a good arm. However he has a tendency to throw costly interceptions. I think that he can beat teams if he gets a good lead on them. Our running game probably will get some more focus. Perhaps we have some hidden talent in that area. I think that most predictions have us going 1-10 on this tough schedule. There are certainly a few blowouts on the schedule against AZ State, Wisc, Miami and others....

06-27-2005 09:04 AM
coolhandred Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Donators

Our problem has always been a lack of depth. We have had some outstanding players, however when one of these guys gets hurt, or beat up there is just nobody ready to play at the D-1 level. Last year our #1 defensive lineman got hurt in the preseason and we had to move our tight end over to the D-line. We had great linebackers, but a horrible secondary. Needless to say with no defensive rush on the opposing QB, and a weak secondary we got lit up like Roman Candles a good bit. (The BG game comes to mind)

Another problem, which may be resolving itself, was our offensive spread offense really had only one set. Once the opposing defensive coordinator figured it out, we were done. At least we have a new OC, who has commented he will use at least two sets. Also gone is the pathetic "no huddle" offense. There was never any "hurry up" that I ever witnessed. It fooled NO BODY!

Predicting how we play this year is a crap shoot. Does McGann finally play one solid game? Does our offensive line stay healthy? Can the D-line get some penetration? Can we take advantage of another team's weaknesses? Will Coach Wallace finally start to play to win and figure out how to use the clock? All unknowns at this point.

If you review our upcoming schedule for 2005 it looks very, very difficult. I think we play 8 or 9 bowl teams. Most Temple fans would be happy with 1 win. Two wins is an accomplishment, and Three wins a miracle. Anything above 3 wins does not seem every remotely possible.

The one constant for Temple fans is there support for the Cherry & White. We have been down so long, we do not get discouraged. Just continually pissed off. But remember we play Miami, FLA and Miami, OH, plus Virginia, Maryland, Navy, BG, Toledo, Ariz State, Clemson, Wisconsin and Western Michigan. Quite a challenge.

06-27-2005 09:11 PM
MH55 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

No Temple fan should be "happy" with one win...

This attitude must be exterminated.

06-28-2005 11:43 AM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

MH55 Wrote:No Temple fan should be "happy" with one win...

This attitude must be exterminated.
MH55:

Maybe "happy" isn't the right word. How many wins would you consider as progress for the program? That's an awfully tough schedule.

06-28-2005 12:40 PM
PhillyPhlash Offline
2nd String

I think that it's safe to say 2 wins would be quite an achievement considering the regime and QB we are resting our shoulders on.

06-28-2005 03:39 PM
Advertisement

coolhandred Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Donators

I would be real happy with 2 wins.

My question is how do we manage to win 2 games? I think the defense needs to step up and keep us in games. McGann may have improved, (at least I hope so), and I think new OC Slater has a better game day plan. The secondary still concerns me. We have been burned by the big play time and time again.

Only time will tell. Maybe we can surprise somebody, but it may only be wishful thinking. GO Owls!!!

06-28-2005 09:26 PM
MH55 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Natural progress from last year would be 3 wins. If you consider winning 2 games following a season in which we won one, then I suppose someone could point to our team making progress....Well, actually we have that someone, our Head Coach. Since he is 19-60 in 7 years, I guess any multiple win season is progress.

Temple fans shouldn't tolerate anything less than a winning season and a legitimate shot at a postseason. Until they change their philosophy, they should expect to suffer. I attended the spring scrimage And didn't find one loyal, knowledgeable fan who expected more than two wins yet, they still get very testy if anyone attacks TUFB or tells it like it is....

06-29-2005 10:47 AM
PhillyPhlash Offline
2nd String

MH55 Wrote:Natural progress from last year would be 3 wins. If you consider winning 2 games following a season in which we won one, then I suppose someone could point to our team making progress....Well, actually we have that someone, our Head Coach. Since he is 19-60 in 7 years, I guess any multiple win season is progress.

Temple fans shouldn't tolerate anything less than a winning season and a legitimate shot at a postseason. Until they change their philosophy, they should expect to suffer. I attended the spring scrimage And didn't find one loyal, knowledgeable fan who expected more than two wins yet, they still get very testy if anyone attacks TUFB or tells it like it is....
Philly fans resentful of the truth? Say it ain't so MH. Haha.

07-03-2005 10:48 AM
KSUDan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State

templefan1 Wrote:yeah, and at least we dont live in Buffalo either. When I was there I thought I was in the coldest part of hell.
:rofl:

07-20-2005 12:45 AM
coolhandred Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Donators

The coldest part of hell is in Messina, New York. Yikes!

07-20-2005 07:12 AM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

I'd be happy with 6 wins & playing TCU in the Ft Worth bowl

07-26-2005 09:34 AM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

templefootballfan Wrote:I'd be happy with 6 wins & playing TCU in the Ft Worth bowl
[Image: icon5.gif] [Image: icon5.gif] [Image: icon5.gif] [Image: icon5.gif]

07-27-2005 02:19 PM
CountryRedHawk Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I could see Temple winning two or three games. Upsetting some teams... UMiami(not to be confused with Miami U), or someteam like that. Temple has quite a bit of talent, they just to need to work as a team, and channel their talent. :wave:

NOW, Join the MAC for all sports.... or face my WRATH! :rofl:

07-28-2005 01:21 AM
HuskieFan89 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

If its any consolation, we Northern Illinois fans had to endure a 23 game losing streak under current coach Joe Novak before he got the ship righted. Now, he's got the program turned around. Watch what Terry Hoeppner is going to do to Indiana and what Solich will do in Ohio.

All it takes is the right coach ...

08-26-2005 07:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.