Bookmark and Share
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Scheduling with Liberty in Sun Belt
(04-09-2014 10:52 AM)Eagleditka Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 10:41 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 10:34 AM)Eagleditka Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 10:26 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  If you think I'm going to start fresh with GSU fans, you're crazy. Our hate crosses decades that won't be forgotten.

I do hope they move our game back in the schedule after this year, too good of a conference rivalry to be played in September.

USA and the rest of the conference thinks GS and App are just another WKU that is going to struggle to win games right off the bat. That's fine, let them believe that. Florida thought we were "just another cupcake." I prefer it when we're underestimated.

Or another USA which struggled in its first FBS year (we nearly went winless). Or another Georgia State (not really - they're a special case of a team that moved up before they were ready). Or another FIU. Or another FAU.

I expect both of you guys to be competitive eventually. But I don't see you competing right off the bat.

If I'm wrong, great for you and even better for the Sun Belt.

But it might take 3 or 4 years for you guys to overcome the smaller depth issues.

And we have no history with either of you. We don't recruit North Carolina or Eastern Georgia. Much less Virginia.

Phil Steele ranked our schedule the easiest in FBS. I say we're 6-6 at worst. We have Savannah St., Georgia St., Idaho, and NMSU on our schedule. No ASU or Louisiana. Troy, ULM, and App St at home. 7 games in the state of Georgia. I think we will be alright.

You might be taking less pain this year but not growing as much as you should due to your weaker schedule. You guys could do well. I just think depth is gonna be a problem for you guys.

If you can get wins next year great. But for your first transitional year the goal is to get better. I'm not sure playing a weaker schedule is really what you want.

You will be alright. Otherwise we wouldn't have bid you guys in. 6-6 is a reach goal for you guys. And plausible (win at home vs Idaho, Savannah State, and App where you should be favorites - then beat NMSU and Ga State on the road - then upset someone). Its a reach to say that a team that has 1 lifetime win against FBS competition is going to win 3 games against established FBS teams, 4 against teams with more depth and experience at this level, and avoid an upset vs App.
04-09-2014 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scheduling with Liberty in Sun Belt - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-09-2014 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.