Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Here are the 2 choices-- how would you vote?
Bookmark and Share
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
RE: Here are the 2 choices-- how would you vote?
(03-27-2014 03:32 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 03:12 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 01:13 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 11:46 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 11:08 AM)RaginCajun25 Wrote:  To elaborate....

Leaving the Sun Belt is the only way to continue having a "growth" with our athletics. Not bashing anyone, but this conference is made up of a bunch of start-up teams. We do have some quality adds in certain sports, but overall we are in the declining stage. For UL to continue on the current path of success (i.e. Facility Improvements, Athletics, Student Pop Growth) we need money. This conference does not give you that opportunity. We will always be dragging behind in RPI due to our conference strength, forcing to play money games because we have "no" TV deals. Our revenue sharing (I know it was voted on) isn't doing any favors to elite conference teams that have to cover expenses of other members. The commish of this league is by far the worst amongst all D1.

Sorry gents, but you can polish a turd all you want, NONE of us will prosper or continue to grow at this rate.

My #3 choice was basically a show or go type situation. Add quality or go find quality elsewhere.

You can't grow and prosper here?

I'm assuming I missed the updates when women's softball and baseball ceased being nationally relevant.

I don't recall a hoops non-conference run men's or women's that had you poised for an at-large that was dashed by league play pulling you down. In fact I recall slightly more than 12 months ago a Sun Belt garnered an at-large berth.

Was there an undefeated run through league play that left you out in the cold nationally that I missed.

Sorry. Load of bull.

Uniform patches don't improve teams. Might distract the fans for a little bit but UNLV became a prominent power in hoops in what was a dreadful Big West, Boise went to the BCS out of a league that has two teams in the bottom 10 of FBS (real bottom ten, not that made up ESPN thing).

Can the league do better? Hell yeah, revisiting the 2007 initiative and actually letting it work without out immediately caving when a few coaches complain would be a nice start.

I think you and he are talking about different views of growth. I’ve seen this discussion before when it comes to Astate fans and Cajun fans discussing the topic of growth and improving your brand. You stated as have others have from the Astate fandom just keep winning and things will work out. While that goes without saying, it’s a pretty narrow view of growth. I think it was you that also stated that we face a different environment in Louisiana because of the existence of four other FBS programs and a number of FCS programs, an important fact that Astate fans have not experienced in Arkansas. Fighting for recognition doesn’t just come with success on the field, but with conference affiliation and corporate dollars as well.

If there is a lesson we have learned from other SBC programs is that you cannot build a program on the backs of the student bodies and season ticket holders with fees alone, corporate investment is vital. Going out and selling your athletics to corporations that are not owned by UL graduates in Louisiana while playing in the Sun Belt, is a huge obstacle. Selling the Sun Belt Conference brand in this state while fighting for dollars against programs in C-USA, AAC and the SEC is a non- starter. It’s something that State fans will never fully grasp because you’re only FBS peer is Arkansas, located on the other side of the state. Corporate investment is vital and right now there just isn’t much interest to sink major money into a Sun Belt program. Of course UL could do a better job of selling itself, but it’s still a major obstacle in spite of our short comings in the fundraising department. While I agree success in athletics on the courts and fields is a major component to building an athletic brand, corporate investment is also vital in building facilities, increasing funding for students academics support, improving scheduling and attracting higher quality student athletes.

Winning is only part of the picture of growth. You cannot sustain growth without investment capital. So it does not go unnoticed that while we having successful runs in all our major sports with the exception of WBB, several local major corporations have told us we don’t see any value in spending money or tying their brand with a program in the Sun Belt Conference. You may not want to hear it, but it’s a huge obstacle we have to overcome in Louisiana.

Those major corporations are not giving because of the Sun Belt, that's just an excuse. If you want to believe it that's your problem. Who are they and what other schools do they give to?
If they liked Louisiana that much they would give, whether SBC or in SEC. If not, they do not want to.

Easy to blame a conference. Hard to justify it that much. We could all, even LSU and Alabama, find corporations that are not willing to give to them. You can always stop after the first door is slammed in your face. Some corporations will never give.

I don't anyone is making any excuses, that is your view. I openly stated that UL's administration falls short when it comes to fundraising. In fact, they have failed up until this point to hire anyone qualified to fundraise for the Second Phase of the facility improvements.

In Louisiana, LSU will always get the majority of corporate money because the return of exposure on national television, commercials and billboards around the state. The Sun Belt offers no such national television exposure or commercial opportunities, something that clearly went over your head when posting your comments.

You are correct, some corporations will never give. And in some cases UL hasn't done a great job of selling its program, as I've stated. But I will take the word of several top corporations in the area that have stated explicitly that see no value in associating their brand with the Sun Belt Conference, over opinion.
So you are saying that it's not really the Sun Belt's fault, but Louisiana's fault for not being in the SEC, and for not hiring adequate fund raisers. OK. If you say so.
03-27-2014 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Here are the 2 choices-- how would you vote? - GoApps70 - 03-27-2014 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.