Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Football Recruiting
Bookmark and Share
bman Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I know Tommy does not like to publicize info on recruits, and I know the "recruiting services" are not extremely accurate, but if you go to the Insiders site and look at Memphis prospects vs. Mississippi's prospects in football for 2006, it is a little scary. They have a lot of 5,4, and 3 star potential recruits, and we have very few. 03-puke Has it always been like this, or is that idiot coach to our south actually as good of a recruiter as Mississippi's fans claimed when he was hired? Anyone close to the program have any idea how our recruiting class for next year is shaping up?
10-18-2005 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS

he is actually a pretty good recruiter.......I would be surprised if we sign too many 4 and 5 star guys unless we get lucky......we usually never sign many anyway, but TW does have an eye for talent and potential and also is very good at recruiting kids from winning programs......if we were in a BCS league, we would sign our fair share of blue chip guys giving our surroundings, but as it is, have to consistently work harder and recruiting and player development than most schools around us........
10-18-2005 11:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Don't forget DW was rated a four until he signed with us and dropped to a three. It's a BCS thing.
10-18-2005 11:29 AM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies

Quote:Has it always been like this
Yes.

Every damn year, people freak out about recruiting...
10-18-2005 11:34 AM
bman Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Psicosis Wrote:
Yes.

I'm not freaking out. I am asking a legitimate question about the apparent disparity in prospects as listed by the recruiting services. If it is really this way every year, I think it makes our on-the-field success against Mississippi all the more impressive. I will say, though, that I do hope our success the past few years on the field will mean that at some point, some of those 5 star recruits start looking our way.
10-18-2005 11:44 AM
DenverTiger Offline
All American

Psicosis Wrote:
Yes.

And every year someone says TW is a great recruiter, don't worry that we have no commits, he holds his commitments close to the vest, this is the best recruiting year we've ever had, blah...blah..blah
And then we sit here in Year 5 and wonder where those great recruits are.
I know, I know next year we will be awesome b/c of all our young guys we have.
Bash away 04-cheers
10-18-2005 11:45 AM
Advertisement

dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers

Linebackers! Give us linebackers!
10-18-2005 11:48 AM
Tigerbythetail Offline
Special Teams

DenverTiger Wrote:
Psicosis Wrote:
Yes.

And every year someone says TW is a great recruiter, don't worry that we have no commits, he holds his commitments close to the vest, this is the best recruiting year we've ever had, blah...blah..blah
And then we sit here in Year 5 and wonder where those great recruits are.
I know, I know next year we will be awesome b/c of all our young guys we have.
Bash away 04-cheers
Gimme a break.......didn't you hear? Shrek decided to put a fence around Memphis.....
10-18-2005 12:02 PM
HoopDreams Offline

we recruit well enough to compete in CUSA and with all mid to lower level teams in BCS leagues......overall, we do a pretty good job of signing sleeper guys and developing them for our system......we do not recruit at the level UL recruited at before they left CUSA, but still recruit better than we have in the last decade........
10-18-2005 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HoopDreams Offline

dan o Wrote:Linebackers! Give us linebackers!
guys aren't panning out to be the Ballards and Harpers and Coot Terrys we are used to having.......McCrary is a stud, but he is done for the year, Grant, Hinds, and Snyder are all okay, but nothing great.......no one is stepping up to the plate.....

on a related note - whatever happened to our Michael Spurlock....I thought he had won a spot on the 2-deep chart at LB before his injury last year, but have not heard anything from him this year..............
10-18-2005 12:07 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

Crappies

DenverTiger Wrote:And then we sit here in Year 5 and wonder where those great recruits are.
<a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccrary_quinton00.html' target='_blank'>You're</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pitts_tj00.html' target='_blank'>right</a>. <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grandberry_michael00.html' target='_blank'>We</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grant_heath00.html' target='_blank'>don't</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pearce_brandon00.html' target='_blank'>have</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/edwards_paul00.html' target='_blank'>any</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/avery_maurice00.html' target='_blank'>good</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_rod00.html' target='_blank'>recruits</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rockette_jeremy00.html' target='_blank'>on</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hinds_greg00.html' target='_blank'>our</a> <a href='http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_deangelo00.html' target='_blank'>roster</a>.
10-18-2005 12:08 PM
Advertisement

TigerEagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

This is a question I was pondering this weekend watching the Ole Miss/Bama game. If you were a blue chip prospect would you rather go play in a BCS league and play in front of around 60,000 win or lose, week in-week out or go to a school that up until recently has had very little success and play in front of between 27,00-40,000 depending on whether you won the week before? Please don't get me wrong , I am a TIGER fan all the way, and if I had been in that situation as a high school senior I would have killed to play for the Tigers, but I can see were fan support (or the sometimes lack of) would influence my decision.
10-18-2005 12:21 PM
lifelongtiger Offline
Working Class Hero

I Root For: THE U of M

HoopDreams Wrote:McCrary is a stud, but he is done for the year
Knew he has been hurt, but when did his year end? I thought he just had a deep thigh bruise.
10-18-2005 12:26 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

TigerEagle Wrote:This is a question I was pondering this weekend watching the Ole Miss/Bama game. If you were a blue chip prospect would you rather go play in a BCS league and play in front of around 60,000 win or lose, week in-week out or go to a school that up until recently has had very little success and play in front of between 27,00-40,000 depending on whether you won the week before? Please don't get me wrong , I am a TIGER fan all the way, and if I had been in that situation as a high school senior I would have killed to play for the Tigers, but I can see were fan support (or the sometimes lack of) would influence my decision.
The only avantages we have are

winning
better school
better chance at NFL

OM will be in a better conference than us for the next 20 years at least, and unless we decide to concentrate on season ticket sales we will always be at the whim of the weather, schedule, and record. :wave:
10-18-2005 12:29 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

TigerEagle Wrote:This is a question I was pondering this weekend watching the Ole Miss/Bama game. If you were a blue chip prospect would you rather go play in a BCS league and play in front of around 60,000 win or lose, week in-week out or go to a school that up until recently has had very little success and play in front of between 27,00-40,000 depending on whether you won the week before? Please don't get me wrong , I am a TIGER fan all the way, and if I had been in that situation as a high school senior I would have killed to play for the Tigers, but I can see were fan support (or the sometimes lack of) would influence my decision.
om has only recently been quite the draw in football.

AND

they HAVE NOT drawn 60k (or even close) at every game this year.
10-18-2005 12:32 PM
southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails

BinghamptonNed Wrote:

AND

plus....all their 3, 4, and 5 star recruits don't look like a lot of talent when they take the field. Their skill players are no better than ours....matter fact...they are worse. The only place they really have an advantage is on the D line.....everywhere else our talent is equal or better. Just look at their QB's...
10-18-2005 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

DenverTiger Wrote:And every year someone says TW is a great recruiter, ...........................................
And everyday you post negative garbage. Trolls suck.
10-18-2005 12:47 PM
TigerEagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

BinghamptonNed Wrote:

AND

50,272 for the Citadel

53,638 for Wyoming

You're right, not quite 60,000, but still fairly decent. I would just be happy drawing 40,000 to TIger games every week. If the Tigers could get 40,000 fans that have the enthusim that the strong 30,000 had for UTEP, every recruit who came to a TIger game would be impressed!
10-18-2005 12:59 PM
jetigerman Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Yes, it has always been this way.

But I have noticed since TW arrived we have done relatively better.

Let us bust the BCS, get the big check and things change.
10-18-2005 01:08 PM
HoopDreams Offline

jetigerman Wrote:Yes, it has always been this way.

But I have noticed since TW arrived we have done relatively better.

Let us bust the BCS, get the big check and things change.
let us in the BCS and we are a perennial Top 25 football team...............
10-18-2005 01:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.