Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Joe Dooley and ECU/What happened?/Need for a SE focus
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Joe Dooley and ECU/What happened?/Need for a SE focus
I was looking at Dooley's bio and he was very young when he took the ECU job (only 50 now). What happened during his tenure? He was only at ECU 4 years but was above .500 during that time.

[Image: dooley.jpg]

I ask because he's doing pretty well at Florida Gulf Coast right now. In ECU's next coaching search, would you look at him?

AAC basketball is composed of 3 distinct groups.

Group 1: UConn (Ollie), Temple (Dunphy), Cincinnati (Cronin), and Memphis (Smith).

Group 2: SMU (Jankovich), Tulsa (Haith), Houston (Sampson), and Tulane (Dunleavy).

Group 3: UCF (Dawkins), USF (Antigua), and ECU (Lebo).

These groups are divided in rivalry, athletic focus, and geography. I know in Group 2, the Larry Brown hire had a remarkable impact on the subsequent hires of Sampson, Haith, and Dunleavy (all accomplished coaches as well). They also fish in the same recruiting waters. SMU recruits Tulsa and of course all of them recruit in and around Texas.

The AAC mainly needs to revitalize Group 3. They have their own geography. Dawkins (a Duke grad) was a good start and Tacko gives him a great piece to build around.

But, what do USF and ECU need to do to revitalize their hoops programs?

Obviously, their focus should be in the Southeast (Florida to the Carolinas). I think UCF-USF-ECU need to play off each other like the other two AAC groups are doing. They should recruit the same waters to foster rivalry and enhance their profiles within their shared region with recruits, who talk amongst each other and may see playing against one another as a good sell.

Which brings me back to Dooley. Might his Florida ties put him in good standing for a return to ECU? What kind of coach would fit there (or at USF)?

Of course, Florida ties aren't required but we do need to raise the AAC's profile in that region, especially if we are to hold more tournaments in Orlando. I think USF's first choice, Masiello, would have thrived. Nevertheless, if the American is going to pop that region there does need to be some shared focus.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2016 10:27 AM by BigEastHomer.)
10-25-2016 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Joe Dooley and ECU/What happened?/Need for a SE focus - BigEastHomer - 10-25-2016 10:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.