Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who are CUSA's greatest athletic brands?
Bookmark and Share
BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
Who are CUSA's greatest athletic brands?
I keep thinking about the impending decision regarding UAB, and wondering how it might impact CUSA, as well, brand-wise. This is an area that CUSA really needs to consider with the upcoming television contract talks. We are a growing conference, and it's imperative that we build greater brand awareness with the tradition/brand equity we have in the cupboard.
With that in mind, I'd like to gauge how everyone views the brands in our conference. I'd argue that UAB is one of CUSAs best brand names, due to having an accomplished basketball history. The football mess is a disaster (I acknowledge as much) but is throwing out the baby with the bathwater going to compound that disaster for CUSA? I wonder about that.
This conference, in my mind, shouldn't be a one-bid conference - by a longshot. We have too many teams with decent histories. That said, if you respect CUSA basketball tradition - and UABs place in CUSA 1.0 - it is so hard to imagine this conference going forward without that presence.
I realize that Charlotte fans are saying that CUSA did the same thing to them. And they are very right to point that out. The 49ers were a cornerstone of CUSA 1.0 as well. Nevertheless, they - more than anybody - likely have good insight into what the purge of basketball cred in '04 did to their perception of CUSA 2.0.
So, I'd like to know everyone's perception of brand value in this conference; so I can gauge myself whether CUSA may be about to repeat the sins of the past. When CUSA was just perceived as Memphis (and everybody else) our lack of adequate brand awareness gave us the perception of being 1-bid worthy. Personally, I don't think that would have been the case if we still had St. Louis and Charlotte (two of our best brands).
It is my opinion that UAB football will come back. But, if it doesn't, will CUSA be better off by hampering it's efforts to rebuild lost credibility with another turn of the knife? Is this death by 1000 cuts?
I don't know. How would all of you rank the CUSA brands from top to bottom? Here is my list.

1.) Marshall (one of our movie brands)
2.) UTEP (the second athletic program with a major movie made about them)
3.) Southern Miss - CUSA 1.0
4.) UAB - CUSA 1.0
5.) Charlotte - CUSA 1.0
6.) Louisiana Tech
7.) ODU
8.) WKU
9.) Rice - Tx (promising new coach)
10.) UNT - Tx
11.) UTSA - Tx
12.) FIU - Fl
13.) FAU - Fl
14.) MTSU

Looking at this list, I really think our "potential" is in Texas and Florida. Those are the brands that CUSA has the most work to do to build. In my opinion, CUSA needs those Top 6 to be strong to grow the Texas and Florida brands. It is so hard for me to envision UAB not being part of that group.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2015 06:12 PM by BoKnows.)
05-03-2015 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Who are CUSA's greatest athletic brands? - BoKnows - 05-03-2015 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.