Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Does This HAVE to be Kuran's year? (LONG POST)
Bookmark and Share
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB Does This HAVE to be Kuran's year? (LONG POST)
Before everyone piles on, let me preface this post by saying I am not wishing anything to happen nor predicting anything will happen. I am simply “thinking out loud” and wanted put this out there for discussion.

Looking at the scholarship numbers, this HAS to be the year for Kuran, doesn’t it? Now, let me explain what I mean by “the year” … I’m not saying he has to have some revelation and suddenly he becomes a 12 & 6 guy (though that would be nice), but doesn’t he have to prove that he can produce -- whether it’s at the 3 or the 4. Doesn’t he have to show signs?

I mean, he didn’t show much his freshman year. I’m willing to chalk that up to the freshman learning curve. I’m willing to chalk that up to him playing out of position last year (he’s a 4 IMO). I’m willing to chalk that up to a lack of PT. I think Kuran is talented, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt …

That being said, if this year is rough for him, isn’t he the prime candidate to transfer? Sure, Shaq could take the grad-transfer route (assuming he’s on the 3 year graduation path that most CJP recruits were on). Sure, Austin could have a break out year and turn pro early (still think he’s a year away). Sure, any one of reserves could skip class one too many times, cuss during a practice, etc. and come to a “mutually beneficial decision” to transfer. However, if Shaq stays 4 years, Austin doesn’t go pro, and nobody screws up…somebody’s gotta go. We only have 2 scholarships available as of today. Those are reserved for the Lawson brothers. We are still recruiting Skal, despite the mess that comes with that. Even if we pass/lose out on Skal, we are still recruiting back-up plans (Kapita). We want to take 3 in 2015, apparently. So if we sign 3 players for the C/O 2015, AND Kuran doesn’t show something this year -- I think it’s pretty obvious that he’s the odd man out.

That’s not meant as a knock on Kuran. I’m not pushing him out the door. I would like nothing more than to see Kuran have a great year and be a Tiger for life. However, with Nick King, KJ & Dedric Lawson, Chris Hawkins, Shaq, Austin, maybe even Skal…that’s a lot of competition he’d have to beat out during his junior season. 4 of those guys would be upperclassmen (3 have been starters for 3 years). The other two have their father on staff. Oh, and Skal (if we land him) is widely considered to be a one-and-done guy.

Needless to say, it could be easy to get “lost in the wash” going forward if Kuran doesn’t establish himself this season. If a guy is going to transfer due to PT, it usually happens after his sophomore season (see D. Wilson – as I predicted). Iverson is talented enough to transfer to another high-major program with less competition at his position and play 2 years after redshirting. Or he could go the mid-major route, maybe closer to home, and be a go-to guy. There’s nothing wrong with that, heck it COULD be the best thing for him to do.

So, here’s to Kuran having a great year in Tiger blue and making this post an even more incredible waste of time. Here’s to hoping he makes me look stupid for even bringing this up …he’s certainly gifted enough to do that.

But, am I crazy for thinking this has to be THE year for him?

Thoughts …
10-31-2014 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Does This HAVE to be Kuran's year? (LONG POST) - HometownTiger - 10-31-2014 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.