Open TigerLinks

STR and could be Tiger related....sigh
Bookmark and Share
biguofmfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: STR and could be Tiger related....sigh
(07-09-2014 08:13 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 12:07 AM)biguofmfan Wrote:  Please do not get carried away with Houston's shiny new tin can. If Memphis goes this route, they will end up in the same place as Houston. That is, being left out of a super conference in the future.

Tiger fans who want this or any similar type of on-campus stadium are only interested in fan amenities and not what is in the best interest of the program moving forward. If Memphis wants to be in the Big 12 someday, then we are better off making comparisons with teams already in the Big 12 like Baylor or even Oklahoma, not Houston.

Memphis needs to either spend ~$200 - $350 million on Liberty Bowl improvements OR ~$400 million + on a new domed stadium either at the fairgrounds or downtown. 55K seat capacity minimum either way. Anything short of this and the University risks being left out of any super conference.

If lack of funds is allowed to be an excuse, then there is no point in even trying. If fans' short-term desires are put ahead of an aggressive master plan with long-term goals in mind, then no one can blame Fuente when he either fails here or leaves for any job marginally higher on the totem pole.

Most schools already in the Big 12 are looking for any excuse to invite Memphis and Cincinnati. Any last shred of doubt can be eliminated by making a statement that Memphis is serious. Bottom line, going the cheap route like Houston gives Texas another reason to say no. Making this mistake would be a disaster as we would go from being a basketball school to essentially a basketball-only school.

With that said, I am convinced that the new president, Bowen, and Fuente understand this and are willing to get us there with no expense spared. The future seems to be very bright, but it won't be if Memphians are afraid or lack the collective self-esteem to do what it takes and end up settling for something seemingly "good enough."

I've seen the stadium in person. Obviously, it's not finished but to say it's a tin can is stupid and wrong. UCF's stadium is a tin can. This is going to be a really nice stadium.

Everything else in your post I couldn't give 2 ***** about.

Sure "tin can" is probably harsh, but this stadium does not give Houston any real advantage in regard to what I am talking about and what officials at major football schools began discussing decades ago.

Houston's leadership probably knows they have zero chance of getting an invite to the table, so they are content to do what is likely to make them the greatest amount of money. Good for them if that is their goal, but good luck as they have along way to go in relation to realignment because this stadium falls short. I mean, they couldn't even get 10K fans to BBVA compass this year for the Tigers. This new stadium will be empty most of the time, as well. Bottom line, Memphis has a lot more upside than Houston, and my point is that our school needs to capitalize on it. Why compare ourselves with other schools who are currently where we do not want to be?

Too bad you don't care - conference realignment (many still believe super conferences are inevitable) is important for the University and getting an invite needs to be a primary goal. Have fun in Knoxville this fall. We will see you at the Forum next year.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 08:36 AM by biguofmfan.)
07-09-2014 08:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: STR and could be Tiger related....sigh - biguofmfan - 07-09-2014 08:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.